Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2015 2:01:44 PM EDT
US Airman 1st Class Spencer Stone, one of the three men who helped take down a gunman on a high-speed French train earlier this year has been promoted to staff sergeant.

Stone, 23, earned his new rank in an official ceremony Friday at Travis Air Force Base in Sacramento, CA.

The Air Force Times reports that during the three-minute ceremony, Stone was first promoted from airman first class to senior airman. One minute later, he was elevated to staff sergeant.

Stone's new rank takes effect November 1.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-airman-helped-stop-terror-012412790.html
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:04:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Groovy
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Good.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Good.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome - as long as he is capable of it.  Shitty, if he has no fucking clue how to be an NCO and has little zoomies under him.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Well earned.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#6]
How abnormal is it for a guy to get to skip a stripe?

When my Dad was in the airforce, he was only a Sr. Airman for a few months when they bumped him to Staff Sergent.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good.
View Quote

I'm really happy for him. He really deserves what he got and more.

But all of us in the Air Force know that what he did is *STILL* only good enough to get a 4 on his EPR.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Awesome - as long as he is capable of it.  Shitty, if he has no fucking clue how to be an NCO and has little zoomies under him.
View Quote

Agreed.  For his sake, I hope he has some good NCO peers that will mentor him.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Do they still pin your rank on during the ceremony? Hope he doesn't get stabbed again.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

When my Dad was in the airforce, he was only a Sr. Airman for a few months when they bumped him to Staff Sergent.
View Quote

From what I read he was due to sew on SrA anyway.  So they might have waited until he promoted to SrA at the normal time and STEP promoted him from SrA to SSgt immediately after.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Medal yes. Promotion no.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I was a Senior Airman barely two years before I put on Staff Sergeant.  I learned real quickly how to handle troops but, I studied for the test, worked hard and earned that shit.  What pissed me off were the E-6's and E-7's who gave those of us who "promoted early" shit because we stayed out of trouble, did our jobs, and studied our WAPS materials.  It wasn't our fault there weren't enough NCO's at the time and promotion was slow during those SNCO's time.  

I'm glad to see a guy getting an extra stripe or two for heroism, instead of that chick who sews on E-6 for a band nobody in the AF gives a fuck about.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Loads of guys we are getting now are coming in as E3's and are making E4 when they graduate Tech School because they're coming in with bachelor's degrees.

In my shop (Pointy Heads) it's actually a majority of our noobs have at a minimum, a bachelor's. We just got one guy in as a reservist who is an emergency Doctor. No clue why he would ever come in enlisted, but it's not like he doesn't have the money. He says he wants to do something different.

The CCAF conversation when some captain came over telling him that Education is a big step was pretty funny.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Is he the guy who came home and was stabbed in a barfight?

Or is that the other dude?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, stabbed.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Good for him.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:47:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, that was him.

Ironically getting in a bar fight used to be an automatic Article-15 with reduction in rank regardless of how it started. Embarrassing the Army, putting your own health at risk which affects unit readiness, yada yada yada. We had the proverbial "Duty to retreat" but don't think it stopped many fights.

I never agreed with that reasoning and as long as he didn't start it I'm glad it's not being used against him. He earned the recognition he's receiving. But then again, so do every serviceman who served in the Middle East, so.......I'm somewhat conflicted. Not complaining, I guess it's good PR, but many more have done more and suffered more and just kept getting their regular paycheck.

ETA: I was happy to see they gave him a PH despite not being in an actual combat zone. That surprised me. I still remember Congress bickering over giving Marines  in Beirut combat pay despite the daily sniping. I guess winning the fight to get PH benefits to victims of the Ft. Hood shooting set a new precedent for the better.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Medal yes. Promotion no.
View Quote

I tend to agree with this. While what he did on the train was great, it in no way shape or form means that he can accomplish the duties of a staff NCO.  I would like to think that his command made sure of this prior to his promotion but given my USMC experience I would bet this is nothing more than a publicity stunt.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Medal yes. Promotion no.

I tend to agree with this. While what he did on the train was great, it in no way shape or form means that he can accomplish the duties of a staff NCO.  I would like to think that his command made sure of this prior to his promotion but given my USMC experience I would bet this is nothing more than a publicity stunt.

Staff Sergeant in the Air Force is an E-5, not an E-6 as it is for Army and Marines.  He can learn to be an NCO as an E-5.  Time in grade at E-4 is useful, but by no means a sure bet to being trained to become an NCO.  Make him an E-5, and if he sucks, that's where he'll stay for a while.  He demonstrated a warrior ethos and resolve that many NCOs across the services haven't and probably can't.  Many probably could if presented with the same circumstances.  I can think of plenty of E-5s I'd be willing to replace with a bet on him in the position.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Good for him.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I was a Senior Airman barely two years before I put on Staff Sergeant.  I learned real quickly how to handle troops but, I studied for the test, worked hard and earned that shit.  What pissed me off were the E-6's and E-7's who gave those of us who "promoted early" shit because we stayed out of trouble, did our jobs, and studied our WAPS materials.  It wasn't our fault there weren't enough NCO's at the time and promotion was slow during those SNCO's time.  

I'm glad to see a guy getting an extra stripe or two for heroism, instead of that chick who sews on E-6 for a band nobody in the AF gives a fuck about.
View Quote

I actually turned down a "below the zone" when I was in.
I  told my first shirt I wasn't planning on re enlisting and that they should give it someone who was staying in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top