Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2004 10:23:52 AM EDT
www.washtimes.com/world/20041006-012158-7663r.htm

U.N. panel to frame guidelines on legality of pre-emptive strike

Members of an international panel studying United Nations' operations say the group hopes to lay down clear rules declaring when it is legal for a nation to use pre-emptive military force in its own defense.
   The issue grows out of the international controversy over the Bush administration's decision to invade Iraq without a final U.N. Security Council resolution explicitly authorizing the war, said panel member Gareth Evans, a former foreign minister of Australia.
   "I expect the panel to be giving close consideration to what those rules are and how they should be applied and whether an effort should be made to identify generally agreed criteria for the legitimate use of force, whatever the context," Mr. Evans said during a recent appearance at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington.
   He made his remarks before last week's presidential debate in which Democratic nominee Sen. John Kerry's call for a "global test" on when pre-emptive action is justified became a campaign issue.
   U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan established the 16-member High-Level Panel on Threats, Challenges and Change in November to study ways to reform the 59-year-old organization so it can better address 21st-century threats to security and peace.
   But Mr. Evans, currently president of the International Crisis Group think tank, said much of the panel's work has focused on establishing detailed guidelines for the use of military force.
   "A central reason for our appointment was concern that the U.N., and indeed the whole multilateral security system, was really at a crossroads with the resurgence of unilateralism from you know whom, and increasing willingness to bypass the Security Council," Mr. Evans said in a clear reference to the Bush administration.

Boy, Kerry's people have GOT to be excited about this report!  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#1]
But, but, but.......thats not what John Kerry meant!!! Edwards said so last night!  

How about the UN can kiss our ass?  "Lay down guidelines" - what a load of bunk - if the UN isnt even willing to back up their bullsh#t Resolutions with the threat of force.

I think Dave Chappelle said it best as 'Black Bush':

"U.N., you got a problem with that, know what you should do? You should sanction me. Sanction me with your army...........Oh wait a minute, you dont HAVE an army!!!!!!  I guess that means you need to shut the F#@K UP.....SHUT....THE....F#@K....UP!!!!"
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#2]
My thinking for a long time has been for the US to stop all payments to the UN and give them 90 days to "get out of Dodge (AKA NYC)".  Reminds me of something I read about Stalin. He was told that the Pope wouldn't approve of this or that action. He asked how many divisions the Pope had. The French seem to put great store in the UN. Let them host it and the next time the Germans go through France like shit through a goose, Kofi Anan can come to their rescue.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Boy, I can't wait to hear what the UN has to say the next time we ask if we can defend ourselves

Thanks Kerry!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Reason number 12,437 why John Kerry cannot be allowed to win the Presidency.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top