Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 5:29:20 AM EDT
Hey guys first post here.  After completly digesting the technical forums I thought I would register and try to start some interesting conversation.  Here goes.

http://www.aleph.se/Trans/Global/Singularity/

If you don't know what the Singularity is your not the only one.  I recomend you take a few moments to read some of these articles.  It will be very enlightening and should make for some good disscussion.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:57:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you realy want to become a sigulartiy with any of the yahoo's on this board?

Now where is that Hyper Cube thread
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:03:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I know the next evolution of man isn't as interesting as if whether or not John Madden is a tard but...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:31:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:36:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:03:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I was under the impression that Moore's law was theoreticly going to  reach a plateau in the near future but did not know that time had come.  Does this have anything to do with dual core proccesing?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was under the impression that Moore's law was theoreticly going to  reach a plateau in the near future but did not know that time had come.  Does this have anything to do with dual core proccesing?

The clock frequencies aren't going higher. The material technology has not caught up yet, and the software (besides games) have not caught up yet.

We should be seeing 6 GHz processors or faster but we're not. There's nothing wrong with 64-bit dual core processors though, with the right software, they can do the job much better anyhow.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:15:20 AM EDT
[#7]
What role will nonotech play in overcomeing the current technological hurtles?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I predict that the 'looter' thread will collapse in on itself and become a singularity
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:18:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Moore's law finally came to an end in 2003 at 3.0 GHz.

He also forsaw the rise in use of RFID's to track items.

Moore's Law has nothing to do with processor speed. It deals with the complexity of an IC/unit cost. Experts (including Moore himself) are predicting the formula will hold true for at least 2 more decades.

The original quote:

The complexity for minimum component costs has increased at a rate of roughly a factor of two per year ... Certainly over the short term this rate can be expected to continue, if not to increase. Over the longer term, the rate of increase is a bit more uncertain, although there is no reason to believe it will not remain nearly constant for at least 10 years. That means by 1975, the number of components per integrated circuit for minimum cost will be 65,000. I believe that such a large circuit can be built on a single wafer.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:21:49 AM EDT
[#10]
As I thought.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:28:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Maybee I can make this thread a little more ARFCOM friendly.

The Singularity has the potential to be the single biggest SHTF senario that i can think of, it is going to happen for sure, it can only be delayed and most experst are predicting around 2035.  When the Sigularity ushers in the post-human world will you become a victim of it or how will you be staying ahead of the curve.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#12]
interesting
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top