Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 6:06:34 AM EDT
Man I Never knew God had a chicky up there with him! The following is a email I got from "respected" magazine?

Please I'm NOT trolling but I have seen some people post in this forum that seem very knowlegeable and I would like to ask for their input to this matter.

____________________________________________________________________________________  
Announcing a New 3-DVD Set from the Biblical Archaeology Society Lecture Series  
The Bible in Context: How History and Archaeology Are Changing the Way We Read the Bible

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bible in Context: How History and Archaeology Are Changing the Way We Read the Bible
Volume III

Order by August 19 for $99.50 and save $20 off the regular price of $119.95! Take advantage of the pre-publication price by using promotion code E5X8B.

Click here to order now or call 1•800•221•4644 ext. 3.
The Bible in Context: How History and Archaeology Are Changing the Way We Read the Bible is a 3-DVD set that presents a variety of lectures from the Biblical Archaeology Society’s most recent Bible Fest. Sit in the front row of the lecture hall while world-renowned archaeologists and Bible scholars detail their most recent archaeological discoveries.

Featured lectures include:

Everyday Life in Ancient Israel
By William G. Dever, University of Arizona
William G. Dever transports us back to ancient Israel through countless beautiful images and archaeological finds from the region that enable us to glimpse what everyday life might have been like in the world in which the Bible was written.

The Sexuality of Yahweh
By Michael D. Coogan, Stonehill College
Michael D. Coogan explores the sexual nature of Yahweh as described in the biblical texts and discusses the evidence that a feminine divine partner to Yahweh played an important role in popular Israelite religion.

The Text and Interpretation of Isaiah in the Dead Sea Scrolls
By Peter Flint, Trinity Western University
Peter Flint introduces us to the Great Isaiah Scroll, one of the first and most treasured scrolls to be found in the caves at Qumran. Flint uses it to demonstrate how information in the Dead Sea Scrolls is shedding new light on how we read and understand the Bible today.

The Biblical Sense of the Past
Ronald S. Hendel, University of California, Berkeley
Ronald S. Hendel exposes the tension between our modern methods of historical inquiry and the Biblical sense of the past, and he proposes that a new understanding of history is necessary to be able to appreciate the Bible in all its richness and on its own terms.

How to Read the Bible Today
By James A. Sanders, Claremont School of Theology
James A. Sanders encourages us to approach the Bible free from the confines of our modern interpretations and with eye towards the power and meaning of the words in their original context.

Prepublication Price: $99.50 (3 DVD Set)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also Available from the Biblical Archaeology Society Lecture Series

Just Dug Up: The Latest Finds from Biblical Israel and the Deep
Volume I

Lectures Include:
• Refuge in the Cave of Letters: A Report from the John P. and Carol Merrill Expedition to the Cave of Letters
• The “John the Baptist Cave” at Suba: What Are the Facts?
• What’s New in Our Search for Goliath? The Recent Excavations at Tell es-Safi—Biblical Gath of the Philistines
• Deep Submergence Archaeology: The Final Frontier
• Bonus Lecture: The History of the History: Some Personal Stories About Famous Archaeologists by William G. Dever

Price: $ 119.95 (3 DVD Set)

Jesus & His First Followers: What Current Archaeology and Biblical Research Are Telling Us
Volume II

Lectures Include:
• First-Century Corinth and You Are There
• The Quest for the Historical Jesus and the Roman Theater at Sepphoris
• Discoveries of New Gospels: The Case of the Gospel of Thomas
• Was Mary Magdalene Jesus’ Wife?
• Jewish Burial Practices and the Resurrection of Jesus

Price: $119.95 (3 DVD Set)

email: [email protected]
phone: 1-800-221-4644 ext. 3
web: http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org  

Forward email

This email was sent to [email protected], by [email protected]
Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy Policy. Powered by

Biblical Archaeology Society | 4710 41st Street NW | Washington | DC | 20016  

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:46:45 AM EDT
[#1]

1Jo 5:7  For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Joh 1:1  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

I don't recall anyone other then the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  They were one, they were God, and they are the only in the beginning.  There were many Jewish sects and the video is probably, I'm guessing, about some Jewish cult.

Shok
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:41:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
    1Jo 5:7  For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Joh 1:1  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

I don't recall anyone other then the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  They were one, they were God, and they are the only in the beginning.  There were many Jewish sects and the video is probably, I'm guessing, about some Jewish cult.

Shok

Maybe but why would that society run an ad like that?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:01:00 AM EDT
[#3]
www.bib-arch.org/bswbAbout.html

...Publishing Excellence
BAS also produces a variety of books and multimedia products (videos, CD-ROMs and DVDs) suitable for individual and classroom use. History buffs, professors, clergy and lay readers have found BAS materials valuable, while librarians have selected our reference volumes for their collections. BAS titles have been chosen as texts at major American universities such as Harvard, Brown and Johns Hopkins....

...Widespread Acclaim
The society, its magazines, and its founder and editor in chief Hershel Shanks have been the subject of widespread acclaim and media attention in publications as diverse as Time, People, Civilization, U.S. News and World Report, The New York Times, The Washington Post and The Jerusalem Post. We have also been featured on television programs aired by CNN, PBS and the Discovery Channel.

I can only speculate that sex sells.

Shok
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:54:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Some people will call it blasphemy to think that Christ was married. I don't think that is so far from reality. He was called "Rabbi" and I have heard that a Rabbi has to be married. (any one jewish reading this could let us know if this is true or not)  I don't know why earth wouldn't be a shadow of things done in heaven. With the way God's name is profained he might not want us to know about his partner because of what we would do with her name. Mormons believe in the likelyhood of God and Christ being married. Its not a doctrine that can do anything to save you, just one of those things we'll find out one day. Food for thought.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:41:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I was raised Pentecostal but attended Catholic schools from K thru college (better education v. Cleveland public schools), and our theology classes often made us question whether Jesus was intimately involved with Mary Magdalene. Jesus was human, the Word made flesh, and thus it is kinda natural to wonder about this.

Did Jesus and Mary Magdalene Have Romantic Ties?
www.inq7.net/lif/2003/may/06/lif_22-1.htm
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#6]
So there's a whole conspiracy thing argued sometimes that because of the
"missing" years of Christs life, that he might have been married or even had
children.

The conspiracy comes in when the proponents of this claim that the Roman Catholics
destroyed those parts of the Bible since it would conflict with their doctrine of
celibacy of priests.

What the conspiracy folks forget is that the celibacy of priests has not always
been a Roman Catholic rule, so that kinda kills their argument.

I think it's all pretty much BS, but as mentioned above, "sex sells".

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:53:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

<snip>

it's all pretty much BS, but as mentioned above, "sex sells".

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top