Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2007 1:25:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:47:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll just pop in and say that there are a lot of heavily-Catholic countries to the south of the USA, and a couple more in Europe, that take Halloween very seriously.

Personally, my only objection to Halloween is all the unsupervised kids running around with no consideration to vehicle traffic, on dark roads, in dark costumes without reflective markings.  But thats more an issue with bad parenting than with the holiday itself.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 8:43:41 AM EDT
[#2]
From a religious perspective, I have no problem with Halloween whatsoever.

As long as the kids are safe and aren't destructive, let them have fun.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I'm putting on a Halloween Party for the youth AT CHURCH in the graveyard this year!  DJ..costumes and all the Halloween fixins!  There are 2 people from my church that voice their disgust over this every year, but the Egg Hunt in the cemetary is ok at Easter with them.

Link Posted: 10/4/2007 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hallowe'en means All Hallow's Eve, or the Evening before All Saint's Day.

The purpose of the scary costumes is to scare away the evil spirits, not to revel in being evil.  There is absolutely no reason why a good, devout Christian of any stripe can't cut loose and have a good time on Halloween.

I am Catholic . . . that means Christian.  And here's my costume:

imagesofclarksylvania.smugmug.com/photos/107129377-M-1.jpg

The Nerd is strong with that one....
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Let kids be kids, and trick-or-treat.  There is nothing wrong with Halloween.  I have no objections.
However, if you're old enough to shave, you shouldn't be trick-or-treating.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Well, I'm putting on a Halloween Party for the youth AT CHURCH in the graveyard this year!  DJ..costumes and all the Halloween fixins!

That sounds like fun.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hallowe'en means All Hallow's Eve, or the Evening before All Saint's Day.

The purpose of the scary costumes is to scare away the evil spirits, not to revel in being evil.  There is absolutely no reason why a good, devout Christian of any stripe can't cut loose and have a good time on Halloween.

I am Catholic . . . that means Christian.  And here's my costume:

imagesofclarksylvania.smugmug.com/photos/107129377-M-1.jpg

Can I get one of those with a larger codpiece?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I just spoke with the Pastor while I was coping flyers for the Halloween party ay church.  I asked her how she felt about Halloween.  With a great smile she said she loves it, and thinks people really don't understand the religious significance of it.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#11]
What do LDS folks think of Halloween?  Does the LDS faith have any objections to the holiday?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What do LDS folks think of Halloween?  Does the LDS faith have any objections to the holiday?

No problems whatsoever.  Like any Christian faith, there may be some individuals with differing opinions.  We have a Halloween party at church every year.  Kids (and some adults) dress up; sometimes it's held inside, sometimes outside and people do "trunk-or-treat"--decorate their cars and give out candy from the open trunks in the parking lot.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#13]
To me there's a big difference between dance around a fire
and calling up Satan to worship . . . .

and dressing up and going around to get candy.

One is BAD . . .

The other, GREAT(for me as a daddy with a slew of kids).

It's the intent of your heart.

Uncle-Al
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Well, I'm putting on a Halloween Party for the youth AT CHURCH in the graveyard this year!  DJ..costumes and all the Halloween fixins!  There are 2 people from my church that voice their disgust over this every year, but the Egg Hunt in the cemetary is ok at Easter with them.

Not very consistant, are they?

EDIT - Oh yeah, I guess I should give my opinion since I posted in the thread. I'm against it, because it deals with spirits which the Bible says not to do.

YMMV, so just keep your kids safe from vehicles and the kidnapping pervs we have in the world today and I'll be happy.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:56:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Alot of Catholic groups are striving to have their children dress up as saints and martyrs not demons and goblins. We want our kids to PRETEND to be what they dress up as....not follow the secular bent of evil things.

It's like alot of Baptist groups holding Christmas pageants dressed as shepherds, Mary and Joseph, etc. or Passion Plays. If dressing up helps convey the Gospel message then it's good.

The problem with Halloween was the secular take over via businesses etc. same happened with Christmas via a secular Santa Claus taking over from St. Nicholas and the "Easter Bunny" taking over from the great mystery of Our Lord's passion, death and Resurrection.

Or pagan cherribs taking over from St.Valentine (a Roman era soldier who became a catholic priest and martyr)...

when the bigger culture takes something over that belongs to a smaller group, that group needs to reacquire it...
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:07:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Here in Tennessee, the southern Baptists seem to take the hardest line against Halloween.  

My "neighbors" refuse to decorate, let their kids participate, or have anything remotely to do with Halloween.

I have to wonder; what kind of "faith" do you hold if it is shaken by one day of one month of kids and adults playing "dress up"?

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Here in Tennessee, the southern Baptists seem to take the hardest line against Halloween.  

My "neighbors" refuse to decorate, let their kids participate, or have anything remotely to do with Halloween.

I have to wonder; what kind of "faith" do you hold if it is shaken by one day of one month of kids and adults playing "dress up"?

It's not that anyone's faith is shaken; it's just that different people have different views of what is right and what they want their own family to do. My only problem is when people force their views on others. I don't try to get anyone outside my family (wife and kid) to adhere to our beliefs, but I'm constantly being told by people who celebrate the man-made holidays (Christmas, Easter Halloween etc.) that I need to celebrate their holidays which are all pagan-based days.  Some of the people who shout freedom the loudest are the ones who try to inflict their will on everyone who doesn't share their beliefs.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#18]
dont get me started
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top