Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2006 11:49:24 AM EDT
We all know the normal volume of mail we get from the NRA, spending tons of money begging for more.

But today I get:

American Rifleman Video Collection and a little collector coin in the mail.  It says I can pay for it or return it.   I do not return or acknowledge unsolicited merchandise.

I'm guessing that the video, coin, and postage all cost the NRA maybe $5.  How many people did they send this out to?  How many  are irritated, like me, with the begging nature of the NRA?  
If you return it, you're costing the NRA even more return postage.

Dear NRA,

I know your address.  If I want to send more money to you to help defend my firearms rights, I will.  It is unlikely I will ever send you more than the minimum member's fee, required by my local range, because you waste all my god damn money begging for more.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:51:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it time for another NRA bashing thread already?

Become a Life Member. I don't get any junk mail from them. None.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#2]
the NRA is bad enough.  i dont know who sold my address to whom, but after i applied for my CCW permit i started to get every junk gun related catalog on the marked
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It was cop and illegal bashing last week, Then the week before it was Mod's. Yup its about that time..
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Time to rally behind GOA and/or JPFO....
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Call the NRA and ask to be placed on the "reduced volume mailing list", you will only recieve renewal notices, your magazine, and 2-3 solicitations a year for big stuff.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
We all know the normal volume of mail we get from the NRA, spending tons of money begging for more.

But today I get:

American Rifleman Video Collection and a little collector coin in the mail.  It says I can pay for it or return it.   I do not return or acknowledge unsolicited merchandise.

I'm guessing that the video, coin, and postage all cost the NRA maybe $5.  How many people did they send this out to?  How many  are irritated, like me, with the begging nature of the NRA?  
If you return it, you're costing the NRA even more return postage.

Dear NRA,

I know your address.  If I want to send more money to you to help defend my firearms rights, I will.  It is unlikely I will ever send you more than the minimum member's fee, required by my local range, because you waste all my god damn money begging for more.

In a month or two you will get a letter asking you to pay for the video or return it. I ignored the letter...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I got the same stuff, but id does state that member donations were not used for it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#8]
ah ha. So you have to pay to stop the junk mail?

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
the NRA is bad enough.  i dont know who sold my address to whom, but after i applied for my CCW permit i started to get every junk gun related catalog on the marked

The NRA doesn't sell your name to whomever until your membership has been expired for at least 1 year.  The gun stuff is due to the CCW or a magazine subscription.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:24:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I got the same video and coin.  Technically, I think that there is somewhere on the box or the letter inside a statement that says that no NRA membership dues were used in this mailing.  This of course means to me that they sold my name or gave my name to someone else.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I got the same video and coin.  Technically, I think that there is somewhere on the box or the letter inside a statement that says that no NRA membership dues were used in this mailing.  This of course means to me that they sold my name or gave my name to someone else.

They used a portion of contributions from previous donation drives to fund the current drive. They arent allowed to use membership dues for political purposes, which would include a soliciation for funding for political lobbying.

Quoted:
ah ha. So you have to pay to stop the junk mail?

Its a toll-free phone call to member services.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I got the same stuff, but id does state that member donations were not used for it.

+1

I read it.  NRA funds were not used to produce this mailing.  I got the same one Saturday.  What do I care?  If they want to mail me crap, I can throw it away.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:30:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Those bastards.  They actually want MONEY to fight for our civil rights.  I thought it all worked with lollipops and gumdrops and happy little elf lawyer-lobbyists that did pro-bono work to ensure the continued legality of my favorite lifestyle.  

HOW DARE THEY ASK FOR MONEY???!!!!

(sarcasm off).

If you are not a member of the NRA, you are part of the problem.  STFU.

If you are upset about receiving things in the mail, throw the stuff away.  That's really hard.  I feel sorrier for you than my aunt who has cancer.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

How is it bashing to ask that they spend their time and money more effectively?

Become a Like Member. I don't get any junk mail from them. None.

So if you become "like" a member, you're not really a member?  Then of course you won't get any junk mail from them.z
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Call the NRA and ask to be placed on the "reduced volume mailing list", you will only recieve renewal notices, your magazine, and 2-3 solicitations a year for big stuff.

Kharn

No, no.

That's too simple.

If they did that, they wouldn't be able to post these silly NRA bashing threads.

Much easier to bash the only organization that can possily help us in the fight to protect the RKBA.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#16]
When will you people learn. Call the NRA if you want to be placed on the limited mailing list if you don't like getting stuff.

And they aren't forcing you to pay for anything, they sent you a gift! If you like what they sent keep it. If you don't like it throw it away. If you want to send a donation for it send it. If you don't want to donate, don't.

And the NRA makes money for the fight of our gun rights by sending things out. Thats right, they actually take in more money then they put out for the cost of the mailings.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I get annoyed with the NRA, too, but I'm a life member simply because it's literally the only lobby strong enough to defend the 2nd amendment.

I like GOA better (and am a member there too), but the NRA has the muscle.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:39:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

No, no.

That's too simple.

If they did that, they wouldn't be able to post these silly NRA bashing threads.

Much easier to bash the only organization that can possily help us in the fight to protect the RKBA.

Damn straight!  It was a real monster pain in the ass.  If I remember right I was able to do it through the InTarWeb, you know, like less effort than it took to write this post.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Ooh, my aching ovaries, oooooohhh, my mangina, it hurrrrrts...

I felt it was more important to fire up a thread on Arfcom than it would be to phone the NRA to ask them to stop sending me stuff...

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

No, no.

That's too simple.

Damn straight!  It was a real monster pain in the ass.  If I remember right I was able to do it through the InTarWeb, you know, like less effort than it took to write this post.

For the ultra-lazy: Click Here --->Member Services
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Newsflash newb: The NRA isn't the only game in town...A lot of us belong to countless pro 2nd amendment organizations that actually spend our money fighting for our 2nd amendment rights rather than sending us unsolicited videos, engraved bullets, coins and countless other trinkets in an attempt to solicit more funds.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I cancelled my membership due to all the begging, crap sent, lack of action, and the election of their latest president.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:03:22 PM EDT
[#23]
You guys do know you can get on their no-mailing list right? That way they won't send you anything in the mail.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I know I'm going to put the match to the powder-keg with this one, but what the hell.  

<stepping on soapbox>

If you are not part of the NRA then you are part of the problem.

For all its faults, the NRA is the ONLY RKBA organization that carries any wight with politicians.  While JPFO, GOA and the state orgs have their place (especially state level organizations), on the national scene the NRA HAS CLOUT and the politicians know that and respond.

Let's face it, politicians (for the most part) don't give a flying rat fuck about "right" and "wrong", they don't give a shit about what their constituents *really* want.  Most understand one thing... POWER, whether that power is granted to them or if someone else is using power to thwart their schemes.  That's about it for the most part.

The NRA *IS* the 800 pound gorilla when it comes to RKBA in this nation.

I joined the NRA as an annual member back in 2001.  I didn't like some of the things I heard about them (many from this site and other RKBA sources) and I did not renew.

However, after seeing the full court press that they orchestrated at the sunset (and push for renewal) of the "Assault weapons ban" it changed my mind on their commitment and effectiveness.  I called up the next day and became a Life Member.

If you need another "big win" it was the Protection of Law Commerce in Arms Act" that was passed last year.  The NRA worked YEARS on getting that pushed through.

As someone that participates in one of the largest firearms forums on the Internet you are in the top few percent of knowledgeable and involved gun owners.  To be in that position and bash the NRA (or withhold support) puts you in the same category as those people that say "Go ahead, take THEIR 'evil' guns, but leave my deer rifle and shotgun alone".  There is nothing more that the gun grabbers want than to divide and weaken effective RKBA efforts and every time someone bashes the NRA (as opposed to getting involved and constructively working on its shortcomings) Sarah Brady and her minions are somewhere laughing their fucking asses off at us.

Don't like how the NRA operates?  Join and change things.  Already a member?  Then COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR ORGANIZATION.  Throwing rocks at it only emboldens and strengthens our enemies whose only purpose in life is to disarm and subjugate us to their will.

Again, you show me a national RKBA organization that has the track record and clout of the NRA, that can get politicians attention (or cause them sleepless nights ) and I'll be more than happy to put my money where my mouth is.

<stepping off the soapbox now>

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#25]
If somone sends you stuff without you asking for it, you're not bound to
pay for it, AFAIK.

Kills me the only reason people even join the NRA is becasue of thier ranges
makeing them.

I consider that extortion, to a degree.....I know I would've never joined the NRA
becasue of a range makeing me.

I joined because it's the one big hairy gorilla that scares the friggin pants off the
gun grabbers.

Yes, yes...Let's bash the NRA more.  We all know they are the enemies of the 2nd.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh for God's sake.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I cancelled my membership due to all the begging, crap sent, lack of action, and the election of their latest president.

What's wrong with the latest president?  That lady, right?  I just read the NRA mag about her, but they made her out to be alright.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#28]
All I know is they helped get concealed carry in Kansas!  I supported them before that and I am glad I did.  Even bought some of those videos! My kids love watching them while they put ammo in .50 cal cans.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I thought that also, until I READthe back of the package.  

"No NRA dues were used for this mailing"  or something to that effect.  Basically, the NRA teamed up with a company that sent out an expensive promotional offer.

I agree that the NRA should not be giving our info to anybody.  Therefore, I will "keep the video and coin as a gift" (Says I can right on the enclosed card) , and e-mail the NRA that I don't wish to get any more offers.  

Simple.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Oh for God's sake.  

I know.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I do.

And I got that video/coin thing too. They sent me a friggen BILL for it, too.

I didn't order it and it specifically stated I could keep it without paying for it if I choose to do so. I saved them the postage by keeping it.

Then they sent me a bill a month later.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do.

And I got that video/coin thing too. They sent me a friggen BILL for it, too.

I didn't order it and it specifically stated I could keep it without paying for it if I choose to do so. I saved them the postage by keeping it.

Then they sent me a bill a month later.

And I hope you tossed it the the garbage.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
And I hope you tossed it the the garbage.

No, I called them up.

Then I tossed it in the garbage.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:17:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Newsflash newb: The NRA isn't the only game in town...A lot of us belong to countless pro 2nd amendment organizations that actually spend our money fighting for our 2nd amendment rights rather than sending us unsolicited videos, engraved bullets, coins and countless other trinkets in an attempt to solicit more funds.

NEWB -  I've been here for three years - or is this just one of your canned responses to someone who doesn't agree with you?  Or does my postcount have to indicate that I've written more than I've read?

As far as giving your money to someone else, that's like betting on a chihuahua in a pit bull fight.  The NRA is the second largest lobbying organization in the USA, after the AARP.  Giving your money to anyone else is like setting it on fire.  The NRA has been behind CCW in how many states?  Who led the fight to let the AWB die?  Who has more pull with the politicians than anyone?  Who has enough pull to get some other company to pay for these trinkets?

Oh, yeah... the NRA.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:20:10 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

No, no.

That's too simple.

See that...once again, somebody has to ruin an otherwise completely asinine thread with 'logic' and 'reason'.

What's next?

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NEWB -  I've been here for three years - or is this just one of your canned responses to someone who doesn't agree with you?  Or does my postcount have to indicate that I've written more than I've read?

As far as giving your money to someone else, that's like betting on a chihuahua in a pit bull fight.  The NRA is the second largest lobbying organization in the USA, after the AARP.  Giving your money to anyone else is like setting it on fire.  The NRA has been behind CCW in how many states?  Who led the fight to let the AWB die?  Who has more pull with the politicians than anyone?  Who has enough pull to get some other company to pay for these trinkets?

Oh, yeah... the NRA.

Yup.

And make no mistake.

We are in a pitbull fight.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Let's all take a little quiz:

QUESTION NO. 1

The NRA always sends out junk mail because:

A.  They lose tons of money doing it.

B.  They make tons of money doing it.

Pick A or B.

Which one you think it is?  

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:33:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Neither. Its my way of refering to somebody who would prefer to tell me (or anybody who doesn't agree with him) to 'Shut the Fuck Up" rather than present his argument in a cohesive, intelligent manner...Perhaps stating your case rather than the old 'STFU,' would make you sound less like some teenage newb. Mmmmkay. Get it now?

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Sir, I believe most of us that are NRA members get solicitations from them all the time, what's the big deal?  I once had an NRA BOD member tell me that if you never respond to the solicitations, eventually they'll stop sending them.  I get solicitations to refinance my home or apply for a new credit card practically every day also, no big deal, they go in the same file as other unsolicited mailings.

I believe the NRA is doing something on my behalf, and I'm aware they need money to do that.  I for one haven't send them any dues money for years, I'm a Benefactor member.  Most of the time I watch the videos they send and then send them back in the postage paid package it came in.  No big deal either that's just the system we live in.  I do have a spam blocker and I am enrolled on the National "Do not call" list, but I haven't figured out yet how to get USPS to filter out the junk mail, but I'm working on it.   When I do I'll apply for patent rights.  JMHO, 7zero1.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Sir, I believe most of us that are NRA members get solicitations from them all the time, what's the big deal?  I once had an NRA BOD member tell me that if you never respond to the solicitations, eventually they'll stop sending them.  I get solicitations to refinance my home or apply for a new credit card practically every day also, no big deal, they go in the same file as other unsolicited mailings.

I believe the NRA is doing something on my behalf, and I'm aware they need money to do that.  I for one haven't send them any dues money for years, I'm a Benefactor member.  Most of the time I watch the videos they send and then send them back in the postage paid package it came in.  No big deal either that's just the system we live in.  I do have a spam blocker and I am enrolled on the National "Do not call" list, but I haven't figured out yet how to get USPS to filter out the junk mail, but I'm working on it.   When I do I'll apply for patent rights.  JMHO, 7zero1.

Good reply.

Let's all encourage the NRA bashers to see the light.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#42]
I got that same video & coin in the mail today.

I was thinking about calling up the NRA and telling them that for only a $10 handling charge, I would be more than willing to mail that back to them.

I'm sick and tired of the spam from them. The "reduced mailings list" sounds great, but it was one of those things they didn't mention to me when I signed up.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#43]
The NRA isn't perfect.

I have been a life member since 1997 and I still get some unsolicited offers.  They just go straight into the trash, along with the other chaff.  They're certainly not the only ones sending you junk mail.  Ask Publisher's Clearing House ....

At least they haven't called asking why I haven't upgraded to Endowment level.  

I am also a GOA life member so I'm not married to the NRA by any means. That said, for all the junk mail we put up with, they have done some good in the past and I expect they'll continue to do good in the future.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#44]
One more time -

Look at the fine print on the junk mail - it came from a licensed marketer that is trolling for your dollars.  If they get a 5% return from the NRA members they solicit with their junk, they make big bucks and the NRA gets a cut.  No membership money was used.

I would think that the NRA would eventually get the message that licensing junk mail marketers does more harm to their membership roles than the small income from these ventures - if not financial damage, certainly damage to the loyalty of the membership that gets solicited and drops out.

I guess they are slow learners, but the only reason the organization continues to exist is because it's the best lobby for gun owners, not because they are smart.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top