Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2002 2:51:39 PM EDT
I tried to look through some other threads and did not see anything.  Hope I'm not double posting, but...

Anyone remember the technology (ShotSpotter)of using a network of mics to triangulate the position of gunfire.  With what's going on in D.C. I wonder if it's a viable option or merely just wishful thinking?

Regards,
John
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure its viable and would work, if only it could be installed prior to each shooting where each shooting occurs...
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone have any other thoughts on the topic?
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe that technology is only being utilized in neighborhoods with a high incidence of "reported gunshots"...
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Triangulation is the Art/Science of getting directions to the same point from at least 3 different locations.  This is useful in finding an unknown location.  It would not help in this case as the cops know where it happened just as soon as it happens.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#5]
And then there is that thing about them vacating the area very quickly after doing the dirty work...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top