Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 4:19:40 PM EDT
Holy shit. She's afraid our daughter will "sin" and wants her to get married. The kid's a sophomore in college. I told her not to even think about it until she's thirty.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#1]
No disrespect intended, but for the sake of all young people, do us a favor and tell the Ex to STFU.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Marriage is a good thing when both sides know what they want. Plenty of great marriages out there.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:25:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Tell your EX not to worry the end times will begin before your daughter can sin.

Maybe that will get her to leave your daughter alone.

People need to get a clue.  People have been drinking, screwing and all other manner of "sinnning" and been calling themselves *insert religion* here for thousands of years.  God didn't strike any of them down.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Marriage is a good thing when both sides know what they want. Plenty of great marriages out there.

Not many college sophomores know what they want. Especially for boys, their personalities haven't even "solidified" yet. They need to mature and see a little bit of life before they settle down and wonder what they missed.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#5]
There's nothing wrong with marriage or getting married young.

But a college student should be focused on one thing alone -- getting through school with the best grades possible.

Marriage is a complication young college students do not need.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Tell your EX not to worry the end times will begin before your daughter can sin.

People need to get a clue.  People have been drinking, screwing and all other manner of "sinnning" and been calling themselves *insert religion* here for thousands of years.  God didn't strike any of them down.

that should be a quote or something.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I always think of college as a 2-for, because you meet so many people that is approximately your age and plus you are getting an education. I know people who got married first and then started college years later in life, not a good situation to be in. I met my wife while I was in college and we've been married for 25 years. Things don't get any better.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I gotta disagree with you on both of those points as a general rule, particularly the latter.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Holy shit. She's afraid our daughter will "sin" and wants her to get married. The kid's a sophomore in college. I told her not to even think about it until she's thirty.  

Wow. How will your Ex feel about the divorce your daughter will go through in a few years when she and the new hubby realize they made a mistake and don't really like each other?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Where is my lightning rod?   (makes certain he keeps his distance)  

I was not even a sophomore when my wife & I got married.  Ten years this week, two kids.

My father was a junior when he and Mom got married.  40+ years.

As long as he is not intending to get her to support him through college then there is nothing wrong with it.  Seen that happen one too many times.  He gets through college . . . goes prancing off with the TA he was banging while she was working . . .
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#11]
The ex is right, again.

This is assuming she is already in a serious relationship and sexually active.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

He didn't need to, they struck themselves down.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Anything my ex, Ted Kennedy, Hillary Clinton and Sgtar15 are for, you can probably count me against.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

My kids know before they receive my blessings for marriage that they must have graduated from college and have been dating for two years.

Why on earth would anyone try to make their kids grow up so fast?  Patty
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Getting married in this day and age requires alot more thought than ever before.  Not something that should be coerced or rushed into, in my opinion.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:51:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Anything my ex, Ted Kennedy, Hillary Clinton and Sgtar15 are for, you can probably count me against.  

Ted supports drinking, Hillary supports the troups, and I support marriage.

Yup, you're right.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Too serious of an issue to follow through on without thinking it through.  I thought my ex was 'the one' for years, and we ended up breaking up last summer.  She wanted to get married just because all her friends and her sister were.  I glad I passed.  +1 on wait until she's 30 or more.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#19]
If they're really meant for each other, what would it hurt if they waited until AFTER college to get married?  If they're just doing it so as to avoid "sinning" then they're in it for the wrong reason.

Just my $0.02.

BTW:

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Your daughter should at least wait until she graduates college.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Soo.... You've got a 20 year old daughter? She like guns?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

You'll never be good enough
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I gotta disagree with you on both of those points as a general rule, particularly the latter.

So, you don't believe in marriage AT ALL? Well, maybe from your POV since you are divorced.

IMO, age is not as important as emotional maturity and stability.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fine. I didn't want to be in your will anyway.

I'll just go finish my MBA and work on a record deal without you then.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

So, you don't believe in marriage AT ALL?

Uh oh. Here we go

As a GENERAL rule, I think marriage tends to be a win/win retirement plan for women. And I think it lends at least the APPEARANCE of respectibiity to children.

It's also a custom in decline, largely because it's become a profit industry for lawyers.

Right or wrong, twenty is about a decade too young.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, you don't believe in marriage AT ALL?

Uh oh. Here we go

As a GENERAL rule, I think marriage tends to be a win/win retirement plan for women. And I think it lends at least the APPEARANCE of respectibiity to children.

It's also a custom in decline, largely because it's become a profit industry for lawyers.

Right or wrong, twenty is about a decade too young.

Got married at 18. Twelve years later still goin' strong. Went through college married, no real problems. Every fall and spring sucked, but that was all the more reason to concentrate on studying. Can't imagine my life or the last 12 years without my wife.

My neighbor waited until after college. Her marriage is coasting until the divorce.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A MUSICIAN!?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Got married at 18. Twelve years later still goin' strong.

So, did you sow your wlld oats before age 18, or are you going to do it after 40?  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A MUSICIAN!?

Not one of those hippy liberal ones without a job, I'll have a degree to fall back on if it doesn't work out.

And yes, chicks dig musicians.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Wow. How will your Ex feel about the divorce your daughter will go through in a few years when she and the new hubby realize they made a mistake and don't really like each other?

+1

Preachin' to the choir.  Married my HS sweetheart at 22 - right after college graduation.  Divorced (at 28 years old) May this year.  I, personally, was way too young.  He and I both were way too young.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I married young, very young, and I wished I waited intill I was 25, pushing a 20yo into marrige is irresponsible
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Ever heard of Sodom and Gomorrah?

GR
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ever heard of Sodom and Gomorrah?

GR

[rollseyes]  Did I kick over a insect mound

Its niave to think or even expect a person to wait until marriage until having sex.  In this day and age they would be adnormal to do so, and that might even speak volumns of own personal issues.  

I don't think God's gonna be pissed if I bang my girlfriend even though we didn't go to the secular county courthouse and get a piece of paper.  Rampant extreme behavior in any area is not healthy.  Everthing in moderation.  I don't belive God, who created all of the universe and so intricately tied everything together with laws of physics, planes of existence, evolution and the earth over millions of years and everything else on a grand scale is going to *nitpick* a few harmless acts that are questionable themselves if its sinning or not since his message has been distorted for thousands of years by man.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:41:30 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Marriage to avoid sin is a stupid idea.

If the boy girl is 20, then she is old enough to tell Romeo to keep it in his pants AND old enough not to go marrying some dork so he can have sex with her.

Fornication is indeed a sin, but making a rash covenant before God with some dude that basically just wants to have sex with her is stupidity carried to exponential powers.

If he is not willing to forgo sex and wait to marry her, he isn't worthy of her anyway. If he is, then he might truly love her and might indeed be marriage material.

If I had a dollar for every kid I have seen marry some complete moron and screw up their entire life, I would be able to take afford a few more trips to Blackwater.

I hate to see anyone sin, but a single act of fornication is prefferable to a bad marriage decision. The odds of permanent damage are at least lower that way. I don't endorse fornication, but neither will I insist on a marriage that isn't properly thought out, as that would lead to bad consequences that are legion.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:53:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:58:03 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
For what it's worth bud, a parent really doesn't have much say in the matter and it can be very hazardous to your relationship in the longterm.  You want your daughter to say to you one day, "Dad, I loved that guy but you ran him off."?

If it is in her best interest, I would put up with that in the short term. Absolutely. TRUST ME: I have seen more awful consequences to kids' lives by saying nothing than by running off the wrong kinds of people.

Yes she is 20. But 20 year olds these days do some really stupid stuff and still need parental help and guidance every now and then. When it comes to a life altering decision that can mess the rest of their lives up, Parents are obligated to step in and try to steer them along some sensible lines.

That being said, I have noted that the harder parents push a couple towards marriage the farther they run from it and the inverse is true the harder you push them apart the faster they go together.  This holds true more often than not.

One of the hardest lessons a parent must endure is when it comes to love, we don't know shit in our childrens eyes for we aren't them and this isn't stoneage they think we came from.  

Sorry I couldn't be more supportive. It's one of those life sucks things.

Tj

I don't think Rodent needs to get all neanderthal on this situation here or treat her like she is three, but some good sensible and mild chewing out might be in order.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:12:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Is she mature enough to control her own dog? If not, marriage is out.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:12:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:23:37 AM EDT
[#40]
As a father of a 19 college sophmore, I am qualified to speak.......

I just made a visit to her this weekend. Ya gotta let kollege kids be kollege kids. There was wine on the Counter, an empty twelve pack on the porch, what am I gonna do? Drag her home?If she is gonna have sex, then so be it. I raised a smart girl, I hope she makes smart choices.But I don't want her to get married!I want her to get a good education, and the rest is up to her. A little sex with her boyfriend at 19 is a lot less damage than a divorce at 28, with kids involved, child support etc. Don't ask me how I know......

Rodent, does the old man live in Ponte Verdre? If so, you should of let m help you out with the vino for his b-day....the JJ sleigh get around...............
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, did you sow your wlld oats before age 18, or are you going to do it after 40?  

I believe in self-discipline. Sowing your wild oats is just an excuse to be a jackass, most of the time.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:09:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Your Ex should be beaten over the head with her holy book of choice until she learns to STFU.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:10:05 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe in self-discipline. Sowing your wild oats is just an excuse to be a jackass, most of the time.

Tru-dat.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Isn't your ex-wife the one who wanted to send your Daughter off to China for a year, or am I thinking of a different thread?

Dave
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Thats one of the SMARTEST post's, ever.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats one of the SMARTEST post's, ever.

ANother person that hates women, drinking and america I see.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#47]
My wife was a 20 year-old college student when we got married. She finished school, got her Masters, and we are still married lo these many years.

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:53:31 AM EDT
[#48]
What does the kid want to do?

I would be surprised if she is chomping at the bit to run down the aisle.

As for the mother tell her to remove the plank from her own eye before....Ah jeez.  My bible power just ran out.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Your "Ex" is fucking CRAZY!  Tell her to shut her damn pie hole before she gets your kid in trouble.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top