Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 3:03:14 PM EDT
Does anybody have any good beaver recipes or cleaning tips? We were debating about whether it would be good to eat so I was wondering if anybody had tried it before ? I found a few recipes on the internet and we are gonna try it with the next one.

Had to start beaver hunting again this weekend They are cute and all but now they have caused thousands of dollars worth of  damage to the pond, road and culverts (AGAIN) They are considered pests around here and they are legal to hunt year round. I guess we could try to trap them but that takes time and then it's a pain to find somewhere to release the damn things because nobody wants them. They are right up there with coyotes and wild pigs on the most hated list around here.

Anyway got this guy at about 60 yards right below the ear with a 55 gr. HP. Clean entry and no exit wound at all. About as humane and instant as it could be. Still feel kinda bad though, hate shooting animals and wasting the meat so we are gonna experiment with a couple of recipes on the next one (there are many more).  

ETA: Video of me bumping the beaver media.putfile.com/swingbump

j/k

Check out the scars on the Beaver's back and tail, looks like a gator got him once upon a time.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#1]
"Gee, Ward, aren't you being a little hard on the Beaver?"

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#2]
You really pounded that wet, furry beaver.

Good work.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Had to start beaver hunting again this weekend They are cute and all but now they have caused thousands of dollars worth of  damage to the pond, road and culverts (AGAIN) They are considered pests around here and they are legal to hunt year round. I guess we could try to trap them but that takes time and then it's a pain to find somewhere to release the damn things because nobody wants them. They are right up there with coyotes and wild pigs on the most hated list around here.

When I was floating down the Black River in WY on rubber raft, the guide told us that beaver is in the rodent family, similar to the rat, rabbits etc and can grow to unlimited size depending on the food supply.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you gonna stuff that beaver?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:11:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Where in FL?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:12:04 PM EDT
[#6]
You sure killed that beaver.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a guy local who owns a bar/restaurant.  Every year he has a huge beaver feed.  It is all cooked in roasters.  I always thought it tasted like a sweet roast beef
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd shave that thar Beaver if it waz mines.

Danny
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:17:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
There is a guy local who owns a bar/restaurant.  Every year he has a huge beaver feed.  It is all cooked in roasters.  I always thought it tasted like a sweet roast beef

MMM, nothing like hot beaver for dinner.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:18:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I have not eaten it myself....(damn..gonna get flamed)....but from what I have been told, it tastes more like beef than beef does.  I know several folks who shot and ate them and they all said it was excellent, if a bit rich.

cook it like cow...if at all fails make it into stew.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#13]
wonder how much you could get for the hide...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#14]
not much with the wholes
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm sorry but I won't eat anything with webbing between its toes.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Didn't think pelts were going for much these days.  Good shooting btw.  Nice open sight shot.  Was he in the pond at the time?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#18]
It'd probably make decent jerky.   Give that a shot, I'd be interested.  Can't shoot em here, it's the state animal damnit.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#19]
You are going to name that rifle "Ward" aren't you?  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
You really pounded that wet, furry beaver.

Good work.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I didn't know there beavers in FL.
Let me go out back and look in my lake
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I like beaver, tastes like chicken.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#23]

You know what they say..."Save a tree, eat a beaver!"

Looks like you might have saved a bunch of trees, that's one big beaver.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Nothing like nailing a nice beaver.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice beaver.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Roast the whole beaver,  then split it down the middle and dump large amounts of barbecue sauce on it.

Hot wet split beaver has always been a favorite of mine!   With a side order of thighs!  

CJ

You really need to work on your innuendo...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Wynona's got herself a big brown beaver
And she shows it off to all her friends.
One day, you know, that beaver tried to leave her,
So she caged him up with cyclone fence.
Along came lou with the old baboon
And said "recognize that smell?"
"smells like seven layers,
That beaver eats taco bell."
Now rex he was a texan out of new orleans
And he travelled with the carnival shows.
He ran bumper cars, sucked cheap cigars
And he candied up his nose.
He got wind of the big brown beaver
So he though he'd take himself a peek,
But the beaver was quick
And grabbed him by the kiwis.
Now he ain't pissed for a week.
(and a half!)
Now wynona took her big brown beaver,
And she stuck him up in the air.
Said "i sure do love this big brown beaver
And i wish i did have a pair."
Now the beaver onces slept for seven days
And it gave us all an awful fright.
So i tickled his chin and i gave him a pinch
And the bastard tried to bite me.
Wynona loved her big brown beaver
And she stroked him all the time.
She pricked her finger one day and it
Occurred to her she might have a porcupine.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Where in FL?

Quoted:
I didn't know there beavers in FL.
Let me go out back and look in my lake

I'm up in the panhandle, we have more beaver than we know what to do with.

Otters also.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Didn't think pelts were going for much these days.  Good shooting btw.  Nice open sight shot.  Was he in the pond at the time?

He was up on dry land by a creek. I doubt the price of the pelt would be worth the effort to skin and prepare it then you gotta find someone to buy the thing. They probable have beaver farms in Mexico or something that have saturated the market here.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#30]
thats a lot more beaver than most of the members on this site get.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Bump for the video I added of me firing on the Beaver  http://media.putfile.com/swingbump

j/k
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#32]
In that video, the beaver got more thrusts per squeeze.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#33]
beaver tail is good
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#34]
We have beavers in Florida? I have never seen one in my entire life.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Did you bump that beaver before or after you ate it?  I Like to eat the beaver first and then bump it so that I don't shoot my whole load on it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
We have beavers in Florida?

There is a Beaver on every corner around here, of course some people like to call it LA (Lower Alabama).
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:07:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Did you bump that beaver before or after you ate it?  I Like to eat the beaver first and then bump it so that I don't shoot my whole load on it.

Pure genius, I had to edit the title a little to reflect that idea
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#38]
My son and I got three of the critters a few years ago.  When we built our house on this pond, I noted a shitload of damage to the volunteer trees all around the water.  We could see the dam and the beaver house across the water.  For the first season, we thought the beavers were sort of cute.  Then my newly planted trees were being eaten and when my missus saw Mr. Beaver swimming across the pond headed for his dam with my new and expensive weeping willow, it was open season.

We used a .22 with CB caps.  We also used a 400k candlepower light to bag one.  I used my trusty 5-cell Maglight for the other two.  All three were nighttime shots.  We used two-man sniper team and it worked very well.

So far, we haven't had any repeats.  One day a pup will come upstream from the river and set up housekeeping again and we'll have to take them out.

My bigger problem is muskrats.  Little bastards are tunneling into my back yard.  I got one about three years ago...but they are very wary critters.

I thought about using my AR...but the sheriffs who live a block or two away might take exception.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:10:57 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Roast the whole beaver,  then split it down the middle and dump large amounts of barbecue sauce on it.

Hot wet split beaver has always been a favorite of mine!   With a side order of thighs!  

CJ

You really need to work on your innuendo...

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#40]
You gonna stuff that hairy beaver and mount it?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#41]
I happened to notice that you had wood when you bumped that beaver.

ETA:  I need to make one of those, they seem to work pretty good.  I would like to see video of someone using a wooden bump device on a semi auto Barrett .50
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:36:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Your Beaver needs more than C.P.R..    

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#43]
PETA must be having a rally somewhere, this type of thread is usually good for outing a DU troll or two. Maybe they have lost interest
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top