Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2011 10:13:49 AM EDT
I have decided that I am going to do at least 1 triathlon this year.  I have always loved swimming and cycling (i literally learned how to swim before I learned how to walk) but HATE to run.  I have never run a mile nonstop.  That said, I am getting back in the pool this week to start working up my endurance and started Couch 2 5k a week and a half ago.  I never liked being forced to run in school, but since this has been a decision I have made for myself, I've almost been looking forward to my runs just so that I can achieve my goals.

I have always wanted to do a triathlon but the running always stood in my way and I have decided to change that.

I am looking for some help preparing for a Tri, both in the training aspect as well as in the societal aspects with how to behave, what to do, what to expect at my first tri, transitions, equipment setup, etc.

So with that said, is there an ARFCOM of Triathlons that I can look to?

I have already been to http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/, http://www.ontri.net, and www.onetri.com and while they all have some useful info, the formats of each are lacking so I'm looking to see if anyone out there has some recommendations on where else to start reading up.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Try trinewbies.com for training plans and trifind.com to find triathlons in your area and local traithlon clubs to train with.

ETA: Haven't found anything that would actually compare to ARFCOM. Might be ahead just to talk to those of us on here who run triathlons. I think I got nearly as much information from other guys on here as I did elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought that the ARFCOM triathalon was unpackaging a rifle, shooting fifty rounds through it, then doing an AAR.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 11:36:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Try trinewbies.com for training plans and trifind.com to find triathlons in your area and local traithlon clubs to train with.

ETA: Haven't found anything that would actually compare to ARFCOM. Might be ahead just to talk to those of us on here who run triathlons. I think I got nearly as much information from other guys on here as I did elsewhere.

Well then, whatcha got for a newbie?  

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, what length triathlon are you planning on (mini-sprint, sprint, olympic, 1/2 iron, ironman, ultra)?

What are your goals for the triathlon - finish, place in your age group or be a top finisher?

What experience do you have swimming, biking and running?
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:28:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I did my first sprint tri late last year and LOVED it so much, I scrambled to find another open one before the season ended. This year I'm planning no less that 2 tris, 1 half ironman and 1 olympic length along with a few sprints thrown in.

Best advice...have fun with it and learn from the other racers

You won't really need any specialized equipment for your first race. Bicycle helmet is a must though.

Unless you have a swimming background, that's might be your biggest training hurdle. Work on your form and breathing. Improving your drag gets you better bang for your buck. Practice in open water if possible. If the swim is swimsuit eligible, rent one rather than buy (alot of bike shops rent them for about $40). There a bunch of youtube videos on swimming that will help your form. Practice that and drills rather than just doing laps just for the sake of doing laps.

Learn the rules also. aka You can't draft on the bike portion.

There is so much info you'll pick up during the preparation. Just keep reading and asking.

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I thought that the ARFCOM triathalon was unpackaging a rifle, shooting fifty rounds through it, then doing an AAR.  

More like something to do with foing out of mom's basement...
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#7]
OP - where in CA are you?  San Diego Tri Club was great when I was there in the mid-90s.

The ARFCOM would be Slowtwitch, but it isn't really beginner-friendly.

beginnertriathlete and trinewbies are good

I recommend checking out your local tri club though
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 3:17:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Well, what length triathlon are you planning on (mini-sprint, sprint, olympic, 1/2 iron, ironman, ultra)?

What are your goals for the triathlon - finish, place in your age group or be a top finisher?

I'm planning on an olympic for my first Tri.

I'm not looking to place or be a top finisher, but i'm looking to do better than just beat the time cut-off.

Swimming:

I learned how to swim before I learned how to walk (no, really).

I was on swim team and water polo for several years through middle and high school.  (I'm 6'4" and have about an even ape index).

Swimming in open water isn't intimidating to me, I spent plenty of time in the ocean as a kid and have swallowed more than my fair share of both salt water and pool water.

Cycling:

Again, i've been on road bikes since middle school, doing a 50-60 mile ride just for fun on a saturday morning wasn't out of the question just a couple years ago.

Running:

My personal crucible.  I have never run a mile.

I have started on a Couch to 5k program to get used to running, the nice thing is that before, I have never wanted to run, I was always forced to run, but now, I am running because I want to, and that makes a huge difference in the mindset.

I've been doing some reading over at tri-newbies and have been looking at a few upgrades to my equipment to get tri-legal.

I never rode with a helmet, so i'm picking up a Giro Atmos (i've always wanted one but never wanted to fork out the dough since I never rode with one in my personal rides) and a new pair of Speedo Jammers and some TYR googles, both brands I had success with back when I was swimming competitively.

Beyond that, a pair of Speedplay Zero pedals perhaps and a 2nd pair of running shoes and i'll be set.  I don't think the tri i'll be doing in a few months will be anywhere close to being cold enough for allowing a wetsuit so i'm not even bothing with spending that money right now.

I wish I was at a level where I could justify spending the $9k on a Trek Concept 9.9, but that will have to wait a while.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Ride your road bike.  Do the race or three.  If you get hooked, new bikes will always be there.  This coming for a guy who part-times at a tri shop building bikes.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 2:01:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And talking about how you almost drew down on the guy eye-balling your house.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And talking about how you almost drew down on the guy eye-balling your house.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Blading at a 45 would be the third event I guess

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm planning on an olympic for my first Tri.  

I'm not looking to place or be a top finisher, but i'm looking to do better than just beat the time cut-off.

Swimming:
I learned how to swim before I learned how to walk (no, really).
I was on swim team and water polo for several years through middle and high school.  (I'm 6'4" and have about an even ape index).
Swimming in open water isn't intimidating to me, I spent plenty of time in the ocean as a kid and have swallowed more than my fair share of both salt water and pool water.

Cycling:
Again, i've been on road bikes since middle school, doing a 50-60 mile ride just for fun on a saturday morning wasn't out of the question just a couple years ago.

Running:
My personal crucible.  I have never run a mile.
I have started on a Couch to 5k program to get used to running, the nice thing is that before, I have never wanted to run, I was always forced to run, but now, I am running because I want to, and that makes a huge difference in the mindset.

I've been doing some reading over at tri-newbies and have been looking at a few upgrades to my equipment to get tri-legal.

I never rode with a helmet, so i'm picking up a Giro Atmos (i've always wanted one but never wanted to fork out the dough since I never rode with one in my personal rides) and a new pair of Speedo Jammers and some TYR googles, both brands I had success with back when I was swimming competitively.

Beyond that, a pair of Speedplay Zero pedals perhaps and a 2nd pair of running shoes and i'll be set.  I don't think the tri i'll be doing in a few months will be anywhere close to being cold enough for allowing a wetsuit so i'm not even bothing with spending that money right now.

I wish I was at a level where I could justify spending the $9k on a Trek Concept 9.9, but that will have to wait a while.  

Your WAY ahead of me on where I was in fitness last year and you're ahead of me on gear now. I'm still using a road bike i picked up at a garage sale. I haven't picked up a wetsuit yet either.  One thing you might want to look into is a heart monitor. They're real handy in making sure your training is in the aerobic zone and monitoring your progress.

What I'd suggest is looking at the beginner Olympic plan on Tri-newbies and modifying it slightly. Since you know swimming is your strong event and running is your weak event, I'd drop one of the swim workouts in their plan and replace it with a run.  In addition, because the swim portion of the race is so short compared to the bike and run portions, a weak swimmer can make up time on the bike a lot easier than a strong swimmer can get far enough ahead in the swim to make up for his biking or in your case running.

The other thing you might do is use tri-find to find a sprint tri a month or two ahead of your Olympic. The practice in the transitions will be helpful in your longer race and will give you some confidence. I can't remember if it's Trinewbies or the USAT site but there is a good video online on setting up your transition area to speed your transitions. That reminds me. An inexpensive and helpful item to purchase is speed-laces for your running shoes.

I'd second the recommendation that you find a local tri club. They'll give encouragement and help finding the best local deals for equipment.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top