Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 9/15/2017 7:26:56 PM EDT
I know a lot of you guys really don't GAF, about things like this, but , a lot of people do. for this reason, and because I have no one else to show, I will document my building of this deer stand / treehouse.  I'm sure some of the hunters here will think its neat, while other hunters think its cheating, and not sporting or something, but  I don't GAF either..  the main reason I'm building this is two fold. 1. to have a safe place to take the grandkids to expose them to hunting. 2. making myself a safe place to hunt when I get older, and don't want to be climbing ladders anymore.  plus ill have a hunting spot that's warm and dry, for those really shitty days in the woods.

I will post pics and give some descriptions of what I'm doing, and I don't mind accepting some polite criticism... HOWEVER,  I never claimed to be a carpenter, or skilled in the construction arts, and I am doing this alone, with zero help. I am doing the best I can, and will bust my ass to make this thing safe, and sturdy.

I this started this project about 4 months ago.... I cut down 4 big assed cedar trees ( approx. 12" x 35' ), and I limbed them, and left them in the sun to dry. they have been in the sun for the last 4 months... finally seasoned, and ready to use... well I guess they are, deer season is coming, and i cant wait any longer.  I COULD have used 6x6 posts, but these were almost free, just time and energy and saw gas... plus I think its neat to use timber from my own land.

this is pretty close to what I want to build....  except I'm using larger posts, and my ladder will be a ships type ladder and go up from underneath, thru the floor.. idea is having stairs, even if they are steep vs a ladder.... and have a hatch I can shut to help keep people out.

my goal..  except mine will be nicer.

Attachment Attached File

first step was digging holes... the ground is SUPER hard here, and the tractor auger would no dig into it at all... so, it had to be dug with a digging bar, and post hole digger... chip with digging bar for a few min, then post hole the dirt / rock chips out... repeat... it took  approx. 2 hours to dig each hole... I could only do 30 min a day, so it took me about 10 days to dig these 4 damn holes. holes approx. 18" x 48"

Attachment Attached File

I tried to get a neighbor with a larger tractor to set the poles, but everyone was busy.... so, I ended up trying it myself with my 38hp Kubota.. it was not as hard as I thought it would be.. the extra large holes made it possible..

setting the poles. the poles are way too tall.... but this actually worked out well for me, as the extra height gave me a place to locate my block and tackle set up, so I will have a way to raise these heavy assed boards myself.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

today I went and tried to do some of the real work by myself.. that's sucked.. but I did get some work done.  first thing was to load the danger ranger... I brought all this shit, and only managed to use 2 boards..

Attachment Attached File

rest of my materials sitting in the garage waiting to be used.  everything is in my possession, joists, support beams, stuffs, screws, 16 sheets of barn metal for sides and roof, pressure treated everything, bolts, nuts, paint, glue...

Attachment Attached File

I did was rig the pulley set up for raising the boards and plywood etc.  its hard to tell from the pics, but I'm using two, double pulleys.. it takes about 75' of rope to go thru everything 4 times, and be able to reach the ground... but it kicks ass for raising heavy shit.. I use these to hanging deer.  I'm using 2x8 lumber for the main support boards.. there will be 4 of them, 1 on each side of each post.... with 2x6 joists running between them..  I'm going to be using 2 pieces of 3/4" all thread thru each post at each corner to secure the floor beams to the posts.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I finally settled on a 12' floor height... which should put your eyeballs around 17' . this is plenty tall for this spot, I can see over the edge of the hill, can see every inch of my food plot..

Attachment Attached File

view from the bottom.. new treehouse will be at top of hill in tis pic, in the center, basically between those 2 cedar trees.

Attachment Attached File

I started hauling up a few boards, then marked the posts, and cut notches into the posts for them to set in..  this sucked, and took a lot of time with a wood chisel and hammer hanging off the ladder.... but I'm hoping this lasts a really long time, so, I'm trying to do the best job I can with it.

after notching the poles, I squirted a bunch of liquid nails into the cut, and then squished the 2x8 into it with 3" decking screws...  I don't know if the liquid nails will actually do anything, but I'm hoping it will help lock things together, and help keep water out of the joint.. the screws are temporary though.. once I get all the joists installed, and I put screws into everything, then I will bolt all the 2x8's into the posts with 3/4 all thread.. using 2 pieces on each corner / each post.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I think we have that same tractor. 
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, you're going to need a clinometer when you shoot!
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Update regularly please
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#5]
That's badass!!!!  Hurry up and do more work.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks great so far. Did you treat the ends of the posts before you planted them?

Also what is your rough floor size going to be?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Gonna be sweet!
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Update regularly please
View Quote
I'm will.. I will work on It everyday, and update every day or other day.. I plan to have it built HOPEFULLY in the next 2 weeks. well ill have it usable.. going to take a while for all the small finishing touches.. insulation, carpet / rubber matt for the floor, etc.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks great so far. Did you treat the ends of the posts before you planted them?
View Quote
I didn't.... its cedar, so that will help.....honestly I'm thinking about pouring  a few qts of used oil into the post hole, that will soak into the wood and help it last longer.. not exactly PC though..
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Gonna be sweet!
View Quote
I think so... finishes size will be approx. 8' w x 7' d, with a small deck on the back to allow use of the stairs.. I'm going to cover it with barn metal, sides and roof.   I have a big assed pile of materials in the garage now.. its all paid for and laying in the garage, just gotta assemble it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Subscribed. Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice work! In for updates
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#13]
You're doing it backwards. Build the blind, take it out to the spot. Lie it on its side, attach the legs, and then use a truck to pull it up.  

And that one is to small.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Dig another hope..fill with gravel..take bucket..drill holes..
Wrap weed guard around bucket. Bury bucket..run 1 inch pipe up to tree house..expand from 1-3inch...attack to bucket..bury...

Instant urinal...
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's a couple I've built.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wrap weed guard around bucket. Bury bucket..run 1 inch pipe up to tree house..expand from 1-3inch...attack to bucket..bury...

Instant urinal...
View Quote
I'm considering this, using pvc pipe...
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:04:09 PM EDT
[#18]
nice ! !

that's the style of ladder I'm going to build.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks good! Rebuilding our condo this year. 

Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#20]
dang that's nice.

I usually freeze my ass off leaning against a tree.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#21]
nice. tagged.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Instant urinal...
View Quote
LOL, this man has hunted from a stand before.

OP, looks good, I want to do the same but am currently busy building pole barn.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice work buck.

You're going to have a great spot to work from there.

OST.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#24]
You got a cute lawn mower there!!!

Did you try getting people to stand on the lift arms to put more weight on the digger?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:01:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Awesome!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You got a cute lawn mower there!!!

Did you try getting people to stand on the lift arms to put more weight on the digger?
View Quote
What people ? It's just me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#27]
damn cool
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
dang that's nice.

I usually freeze my ass off leaning against a tree.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Buck you've made a lot of progress. Lookin good bud.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Looks great man. Good job. In for updates.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice.  it feels good doing things yourself.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Looking good man!  I hunt in the thickets of SW Louisiana, there's not much space for a blind like that.  Looking forward to the progress.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Good thread, looking forward to more photos.  Those uprights should last awhile.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:53:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Only the white part of those cedar logs will rot off.  It'll rot over a period of several years.  that's slow enough that dirt will fill in as the white wood rots.  You'll be just fine.

Hell, if I was closer to your location I'd come help out.

Nice looking "lodge"!
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Heres my day 4 update.

I got the other 1/2 of the main support posts set today, and I ran a few 2x6 boards across the top to see what my width is..  outside width is 7'9".  I considered trying to push the posts out 3" to make it 8' even, but that would require hauling the tractor back over, ( actually driving it back over, down 4 miles of back roads )  or hitching up a come along to a bunch of chain, and its just not that important... so.. 7' 9" it is !!

I didn't get a LOT of things done today... but I got more than yesterday.. and I don't feel nearly as bad today,  as I did yesterday after I got done. which is awesome.

here are some better pics of notching the poles to take the support 2x8's.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

here is a lot better picture of my pulley set up. th rops could be run a little better, but its working great.

Attachment Attached File

here is what I got done today... second set of support boards attached ( the outside set ).  and a pair of 2x6's laid across the top to figure out the exact width. ( 7' 9" ).. it also helped to tighten everything up while I did some work.  I rerigged the pulley to the front before I left, so it will be ready for tomorrow, when I will attach the front 2x8, and attach the cross supports between each post.   as I said, I didn't get a lot done, but, its a lot for me. took me 2 hours to inlet those 4 posts, and get the 2x8's into place and temp attached with deck screws, and lay those 2x6's on top.  now I'm worn out. but, each thing I get done, makes doing the next thing easier.

I'm going to cut the front 2 posts off flush with the 2x8's in the next few days, so I can put the decking across it.( the cut off posts will be used to rebuild some cattle fencing my FIL is rebuilding in a few weeks ) .i want the walls flush with the outside of the decking, to help cut down on water getting under things, I'm also going to use pressure treated 2x4's on the bottom of the walls, and seal the space between the decking, and bottom of the wall with silicone.. the rear two posts, I will likely keep as long as possible, as it makes it super easy to lift heavy shit... like the 3/4" pressure treated plywood I'm using for the decking..... and the 2x8's I will use for the joists... and the set of stairs I will have to drag up onto a brace in the next few weeks.

when I get the platform finished, I will erect 2x4 walls, like in a regular house type set up. I considered building everything off the cedar posts, but figured this would be easier to make square, and seal it in better, without having odd shaped posts as a base for attaching walls.  so the stand will be 7' 9" x 7'... with a small back deck to act as a landing for the stairs.. I will have railing for safety.. and a heavy duty hatch I can lock to keep people from accessing the stand during the off season..

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Tagged for awesomeness
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#37]
My Taj Mahal Upgrade, a 6'x7' deer shack I'm building next to my shop.  Screw trying to build something 10' up in the air.  Build it in the shop, use the tractor to transport and lift while putting the 10' treated 4x4's under it.

It's called an "Upgrade" since last year it was a simple platform with a soft-sided popup hunting blind.  Worked pretty good  - killed two doe opening day - but it got cold and I can't stand the cold.

Pics:

Here's what it looked like earlier this year:

Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My Taj Mahal Upgrade, a 6'x7' deer shack I'm building next to my shop.  Screw trying to build something 10' up in the air.  Build it in the shop, use the tractor to transport and lift while putting the 10' treated 4x4's under it.

It's called an "Upgrade" since last year it was a simple platform with a soft-sided popup hunting blind.  Worked pretty good  - killed two doe opening day - but it got cold and I can't stand the cold.

Pics:

https://i.imgur.com/GEAUBPe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pV5lPG6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GfUWWc3.jpg
View Quote
If you need help don't hesitate to ask.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm here for the gangbang.

Also known as OST.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What people ? It's just me.
View Quote
Do you want help?  My fiance and I will help in exchange for a place to hunt.  We just want eating deer, does are fine, and will let you have the big bucks.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Pics:

https://i.imgur.com/GEAUBPe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pV5lPG6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GfUWWc3.jpg
View Quote
looks nice !   I'm using barn metal for mine, but I have never used it before. whats the best way to build a roof like yours?   is that 2x4's, with 1x4 strips on top?   I was going to do something similar...   anything special to do to the sides?  I was going to screw it to the bare studs, and maybe glue insulation board between the studs to the back of the metal..  I think its about $10.00 a sheet.

I considered spraying some truck bed liner onto the back of the metal to help cut down on noise.... eventually I will have plywood lining the inside walls.

building it 11' in the air is a lot more challenging for sure.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Do you want help?  My fiance and I will help in exchange for a place to hunt.  We just want eating deer, does are fine, and will let you have the big bucks.  
View Quote
I'm almost done with what I consider to be the super hard physical stuff honestly.  the only thing I'm dreading is climbing onto the roof to screw down the last center piece of metal  20' in the air....

where do you live?    eastern ky right?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Cool thread! Subscribed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#44]

well done!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#45]
For those of you that do very little deer hunting, this is a typical South Texas deer stand.

For true luxury, you need a hot tub with a view. 

Or if you need your satellite TV to watch the ballgame and internet access...

But this is more my speed...

Seriously though, nice blind you're building OP. I wish it was mine. 
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Shit! That's nice. We usually just build a platform for the used porta potty we picked up on the side of the road.  

If your deer stand is nicer than your house.... you might be a redneck.

Love it man, especially those cedar posts. Good luck the rest of the way.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Fucking awesome dude.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Tag ... looking good
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm almost done with what I consider to be the super hard physical stuff honestly.  the only thing I'm dreading is climbing onto the roof to screw down the last center piece of metal  20' in the air....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By Lexington.  I know you are somewhere in western KY but I'm not sure where.  

How steep of a pitch is the roof?  Heights don't bother me but roof pitch does. 
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:12:34 PM EDT
[#50]
should of built and planted that whole deal in the late winter early spring.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top