Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I am old now but back in 68 I could unass real quick from one of them.

The best ride was getting picked up after the OP was over and heading back to Evans.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Same one still in service...

Link Posted: 11/7/2017 10:31:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got 25,000 hours in them.  I flew with the 304th ARRS (Airforce) in PDX Oregon.  I crashed in 1981 due to a combining gear box failure on a UH-1N.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 10:32:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm from Mineral Wells, TX.  That might mean something to a few of the older gentleman who might visit this thread.

Dad was a door gunner/crew chief on a B model in Vietnam.   He largely credited it with being the reason he came home in one piece.  He flew enough to be awarded 8 Air medals IIRC.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got to fly with the Flat Iron guys in the late 90s at Rucker off and on.

Good times.
View Quote
Don't you mean "Scrap" Iron?
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I was fortunate to get to ride in one on two occasions that I can recall.

In 1983, LtGen Pitman flew up to where we were in the north of South Korea.  Not a LtGen at that time; probably a BGen. He gave us a briefing on how Desert One went down and then we all got a ride in his UH-1. He flew one and apparently got to do whatever the hell he wanted to with it.

Then once again the next year. A simple ride provided by the US Army. This from Pyeong Taek to Pohang.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 5:31:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Anyone else here fly in one of Embassy Air’s Hueys?  The O.D. Green ones with the gold “Penthouse” stripe down the side.......
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 5:42:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Awesome machine.....always been one of favorites.

Here's a good video for the sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDvSrMnL-8M
View Quote
Absolutely beautiful look and sound. Nothing compares and nothing beats it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 5:55:59 AM EDT
[#9]
it is almost ironic that the only time i heard the signature sound of one of these in theatre, it was an iraqi air force bird.

but progress must be made.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 5:58:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
+1

I literally get giddy whenever I get the rare chance to hear one now. A couple months ago I heard one approaching and I got excited enough to embarrass my girlfriend . I was pointing to the sky like some crayon eating idiot expecting Santa.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really can't describe to anyone how the sound of them makes me feel inside    
+1

I literally get giddy whenever I get the rare chance to hear one now. A couple months ago I heard one approaching and I got excited enough to embarrass my girlfriend . I was pointing to the sky like some crayon eating idiot expecting Santa.
Speaking of Santa, I got to wear the costume and play the role two years ago, delivered on one of our UH-Ns for our kids Christmas party.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 5:58:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Skid Kid Machines !
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:01:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:09:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There were two that flew down the beach a few years ago, you could tell the helicopter/Vietnam fans because a bunch of people jumped up and started cheering.

Weird thing, they weren’t od or any other usual color, they were some strange green cammo pattern (not even woodland or tiger strip, nor the weird woodland’ish you would see on C47’s or the old C-130’s). They were coming from the direction of Hurlburt/Eglin. A couple people from that area have said they have seen them from time to time.

fwiw: My girlfriend at the time looked at me like I was a complete moron.
View Quote
Google Search: AFSOC UH-1

Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:10:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll always love Hueys. They took my father to war, and brought him home safe.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:19:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:23:31 AM EDT
[#16]
One of my favorite bird ever.

For those who cannot fly it for real, DCS and belsimtek have made an amazing simulator for it
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 1:12:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

My dad and I restored this one back in the mid 1990s
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#18]
First Helicopter I ever flew in.

Right hand side facing out, it was pretty cool
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#19]
There yea go! The other one was more dapple though, like a screwed up South American flecktarn, almost like the Japanese camo.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I was on the Mammoth Lakes USFS Heli-Shot Crew - I was the lightest guy on the crew and was always on the first flight out.
To this day, I can call out Slick long before I can see it by the whop- whop- whop sound.

Internet Pic - Not our bird - ours had the doors off to save weight - the AO was the East Side of the Sierra.

Link Posted: 11/8/2017 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#21]
They were fun to ride and jump from...

Link Posted: 11/8/2017 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I? have always loved those birds.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#23]
i have SPIE rigged off of them before. Not fun

Not my pic
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've got 25,000 hours in them.  I flew with the 304th ARRS (Airforce) in PDX Oregon.  I crashed in 1981 due to a combining gear box failure on a UH-1N.
View Quote
TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND???

Holy shit.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#25]
My MOS in the service was body and fender man for Hueys and Kiowas.

Hueys are tough birds, although the chin bubbles are a PITA to replace.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND???

Holy shit.
View Quote
That is a hell of a lot of time in a Huey!  Christ it makes my hands and feet hurt, just thinking about it!

When I first went in the service, we still used them as transport and just riding in them made me numb!
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm from Mineral Wells, TX.  That might mean something to a few of the older gentleman who might visit this thread.

Dad was a door gunner/crew chief on a B model in Vietnam.   He largely credited it with being the reason he came home in one piece.  He flew enough to be awarded 8 Air medals IIRC.
View Quote
Sure does....I was there...back in 68

10th WOC "The Good Guys"
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#28]
My dad hates them. This hatred might have something to do with an engine flame-out while attempting a landing on a mountain top in Macedonia. The pilot was able to restart the engine before crashing, and go around, but he's disliked them ever since.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I would give my left nut to go for a ride in a huey.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#30]
UH-1B for sale, only $40,000:
http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5651-wts-uh-1b-huey-gunship-helicopter-pics/
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#31]
CW2 BOBBY C. FROST, AIRCRAFT COMMANDER, AND MAJ RONALD R. BAKER, PILOT, DEPARTED THE KY HA HELIPAD, CHU LAI, VIETNAM, ON OR ABOUT 0815 HOURS, 10 FEBRUARY 1970, IN UH-1H SN 66-16664, ON A COURIER RUN TO DANANG, VIETNAM. THE AIRCRAFT COMMANDER OR PILOT FLEW THE HELICOPTER TO A POINT 1 MILE SOUTH OF DANANG MAIN AIRFIELD, JUST EAST OF HIGHWAY 1, COORDINATES AT 905732. THE AIRCRAFT WAS LOW LEVEL THROUGH THIS AREA DUE TO HIGH DENSITY OF AIRCRAFT, APPROXIMATE ALTITUDE 100-300 FEET, AIRSPEED APPROXIMATELY 80 KNOTS. THE AIRCRAFT EXPERIENCED A TAIL ROTOR MALFUNCTION. THE AIRSPEED WAS DISSIPATED, THE NOSE OF THE AIRCRAFT BEGAN TO TUCK UNDER AND THE AIRCRAFT BEGAN A SPIN TO THE RIGHT. THE AIRCRAFT THEN ASSUMED AN EXTREME NOSE HIGH ATTITUDE. THE MAIN ROTOR HUB AND BLADES SEPARATED FROM THE AIRCRAFT, AND SEVERED THE TAIL BOOM SECTION. THE FUSELAGE THEN ROLLED LEFT AND TURNED UPSIDE DOWN. THE FUSELAGE CONTACTED THE GROUND IN THE INVERTED POSITION. THE MAIN ROTOR HUB AND BLADES, AND THE TAIL BOOM SECTION LANDED IN A DIFFERENT LOCATION. FIRE BROKE OUT IMMEDIATE ON IMPACT DUE TO RUPTURED FUEL LINES OR CELLS. THERE WERE WITNESSES TO ALL, OR AT LEAST PARTS OF THE CRASH. VIETNANESE CIVILIANS ATTEMPTED TO EXTINGUISH THE FIRE WITH PAILS OF WATER BUT TO NO AVAIL. SEVERAL MILITARY PERSONNEL ARRIVED AT THE CRASH SITE WITHIN MINUTES. THEY IMMEDIATELY TOOK CONTROL OF SECURITY AND EXTINUISHED THE FIRE WITH HAND HELD FIRE EXTINGUISHERS. THEY ALSO ASSISTED IN REMOVING PERSONNEL FROM THE AIRCRAFT.\\
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
+1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Crayons should be bacon flavored for such occasions.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I grew up playing on Ft Wolters. My parents met there, mom's dad was instructor before going to VN.

Sounds like you're probably a few years older than me, but I bet we know the same places ,and maybe people.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Only helicopter I've ever ridden in.

This is a long but great video on UH-1 gunship operations in Vietnam.

229th Assault Helicopter Battalion Vietnam The Way It Was Part 2
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I loved them. While UH60s were great there was nothing like the sound of a bunch of UH1s approaching the PZ
View Quote
That's what I came by to say....
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 4:38:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Saw this old Huey at Fort Sill a few months ago. I assume it is going to the museum. Anyone know what is up with the piece around the rear of the engine? Looks strange.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
...I am glad that we pioneered the concepts of air-mobile units, GP and attack helicopters, etc, and much of those built on the wonderful Huey platform...
View Quote
All of those were pioneered by the French in Algeria. The US Army borrowed from their concepts and doctrines heavily to develop its own capacity. "Attack helicopters" could be debated, depending on how you intended that, since the French only operated helicopter gunships at the time, while true attack helicopters were a US development with the introduction of the UH-1 Cobra.

Nothing like hearing a Huey- or Cobra, for that matter- buzzing overhead. Awesome machines.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I would give my left nut to go for a ride in a huey.
View Quote
Go to knob creek. It'll cost you $100
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Saw this old Huey at Fort Sill a few months ago. I assume it is going to the museum. Anyone know what is up with the piece around the rear of the engine? Looks strange.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26492/19983741-662328533976214-3647127099804774301-o-256320.JPG
View Quote
Shoosh that's an old one, maybe a prototype? Too bad no tail number

ETA: its the only helicopter I rode in during my tour in the army...  during desert shield, one or two aviation units flew down from Germany to the depot in Italy to be loaded onto ships bound for Saudi Arabia.

Blackhawks, chinooks, Huey's and little birds flying in all day long.. then they hopped over to the port of Livorno to be loaded on the ships. What an awesome couple of days.

We also had a UH-1 parked at the MP station for QRF, which went up a few times a day to patrol the port and depot... we were all fighting for that duty. Pilots were cool and would do low level flights up the beaches.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND???

Holy shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND???

Holy shit.
That is some serious fucking time! Christ, in 10 years on C-130s (LM) I got 4,000, and that's a pretty decent number for 10 years.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Knob Creek

Link Posted: 11/8/2017 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote
A Cessna 275 flies over my house nearly every Sunday. I recognize the sound without looking from the many times one saved my ass Southwest of Danang.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Glad You made it out ..      

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guarantee you I feel the same but maybe stronger.  I grew up with that sound in Nam because I lived right by the runway and my elementary school was also at Nha Trang air base in VN.  I hear it day and night.  By the age of five, I could pretty much draw the outline of the Huey and always look up when  the whoop whoop go by overhead.  That, the whirl of the C-130, and the drone of the Skyraider is in my DNA.

Glad You made it out ..      

Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
  Hiller land. 
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Riding the Huey at Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
4 blades don't make the same sound as 2.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The new UH-1Y does not have that whop whop sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnXDQV-5ndA
Thanks Captain Obvious.    
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Thanks Captain Obvious.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks Captain Obvious.    
you gotta stop being so grumpy.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 7:48:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Dug up and scanned some old pics.

DZ Case Springs at Camp Pendleton '94. I took it from dash 2.

Fast Roping at Las Flores, Camp Pendleton.

Rigging up for SPIE. Las Flores, Camp Pendleton.

Link Posted: 11/8/2017 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Learned to fly in one and it’s a great and very forgiving airframe but like life, it’s skinnier little brother is cooler
Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top