[#2]
Original 1968 Catalog

Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:31:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one with the boss compensator
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Yep, got one of those. Would also like to find the pump .22. Luke Duke and I tried to get one a few years back but no luck.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for another great thread MiamiJBT.

I have shot a BAR Safari a number of times.

The iron sights are surprisingly very good.  There is an open rear sight with a hooded front sight.  Adjustment is with flathead screws on the rear.  The shape and position of the sights allow for a crystal clear sight picture where you can see the rear sight, front sight, and target with reasonable clarity.

There are a few minor things I don't like about the rifle though.  I am not a fan of pushbutton safeties, and the one example I've used has a very mushy click.  I also find the rifle to be quite heavy.  I weighed it at 9 lb 14 oz loaded with a Leupold Vari-X III.  So it feels more like a Garand than a regular bolt action rifle.  Furthermore the bolt handle could protrude a little more to make it easier to grab.

I think there are legitimate reasons to develop the platform.  It's not a rough and tumble battle rifle like an FAL or G3, but I think it makes up for those types of shortcomings for some applications with its awesome mechanical accuracy and trigger.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:01:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for another great thread MiamiJBT.

I have shot a BAR Safari a number of times.

The iron sights are surprisingly very good.  There is an open rear sight with a hooded front sight.  Adjustment is with flathead screws on the rear.  The shape and position of the sights allow for a crystal clear sight picture where you can see the rear sight, front sight, and target with reasonable clarity.

There are a few minor things I don't like about the rifle though.  I am not a fan of pushbutton safeties, and the one example I've used has a very mushy click.  I also find the rifle to be quite heavy.  I weighed it at 9 lb 14 oz loaded with a Leupold Vari-X III.  So it feels more like a Garand than a regular bolt action rifle.  Furthermore the bolt handle could protrude a little more to make it easier to grab.

I think there are legitimate reasons to develop the platform.  It's not a rough and tumble battle rifle like an FAL or G3, but I think it makes up for those types of shortcomings for some applications with its awesome mechanical accuracy and trigger.
View Quote
Take a look at the new BAR MkIII DBM

Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I've often thought about picking up a BAR in '06.  I wonder what kind of loads they can handle and what the maximum COAL you can load to.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've often thought about picking up a BAR in '06.  I wonder what kind of loads they can handle and what the maximum COAL you can load to.
View Quote
Well, they build them in .300 Win Mag. I know Benelli does the R1 in .338 Win Mag. I don't remember if the BAR is in .338 Win Mag.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, they build them in .300 Win Mag. I know Benelli does the R1 in .338 Win Mag. I don't remember if the BAR is in .338 Win Mag.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The MkII were available in .338.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know for European markets they made it in 9.3x62mm.... oh how I'd like a mag fed rifle in that. HK was supposed to make the SLB in it but they never brought it over to the US.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I know for European markets they made it in 9.3x62mm.... oh how I'd like a mag fed rifle in that. HK was supposed to make the SLB in it but they never brought it over to the US.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That wouldn't be too difficult of a conversion on a .30-06, since the case is essentially the same.

Just have to find someone willing to put a barrel on one. I'm not sure I'd do it for anyone but myself.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have an R1 in .338 Win Mag. Ready for that Grizzly hunt (sigh... one day ).

Accountant
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:59:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Accountant
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Accountant
I want a R1 and a MR1... I also want a Remington 7600 and 7615.

But a R1 in .338 is great appealing.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:59:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
458 custom, because.

Link

Sounds like the MKII came in 338.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:06:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
458 custom, because.

Link

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
458 custom, because.

Link

Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:51:03 PM EDT
[#16]
When I got my 1st BAR back in '91 or so, I had the choice of the .270 Win or the .338 Win. Mag. I knew .338 was overkill for Coues deer and antelope in AZ so I got the .270 Win. Paid 448$ for it from J&G up in Prescott. Surprisingly that BAR has killed more AZ elk than anything. I think about 17 elk and 7 antelope and only about 3 or 4 deer.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 2:12:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Accountant

The 760 and 7600 are neat rifles and are stupid popular in my home state of PA
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 5:46:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have one. It has put many a elk in the freezer.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 6:59:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Accountant

I think an Amish Machine Gun is issued to every newborn male by the State of Pennsylvania @Beamy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 7:03:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I inherited MKII 7mm rem. mag from my best friends wife after he passed from a sudden heart attack at the young age of 54, she told me he said if he ever died that he wanted me to have it.  It's an awesome shooter that's been through countless hunting trips.

One of these days I will likely give it to his son as it was his fathers favorite rifle.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 7:45:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I inherited MKII 7mm rem. mag from my best friends wife after he passed from a sudden heart attack at the young age of 54, she told me he said if he ever died that he wanted me to have it.  It's an awesome shooter that's been through countless hunting trips.

One of these days I will likely give it to his son as it was his fathers favorite rifle.
View Quote
You’re a good man.

Accountant
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think an Amish Machine Gun is issued to every newborn male by the State of Pennsylvania @Beamy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Accountant

pretty much, though I didn't buy mine until after I'd left PA and had been in the AF for about eight years.

Their triggers aren't anything to write home about but they shoot better than they should.

With 150gr Core Lokts my 7600 in .30-06 shoots 1.5in at 100yds
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#24]
If they would make a belted magnum model with detachable box magazines I would snatch one up in a heartbeat.

Do it right with adjustable gas, threaded bbl option, and a couple stock options for different tastes.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks OP. Well written with awesome pics!
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 3:19:48 PM EDT
[#26]
My grandfather had one in 30 naught 6. No idea when it was made, but I do remember that he paid to have the receiver drilled and tapped in the early 90s. I shot the gun a few times. It was accurate to minute of squirrel at 40 yards, which was the only thing I ever shot with it.

Pretty sure my youngest uncle has it now. It is probably rusting in his closet along with an Ithaca 37.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My grandfather had one in 30 naught 6. No idea when it was made, but I do remember that he paid to have the receiver drilled and tapped in the early 90s. I shot the gun a few times. It was accurate to minute of squirrel at 40 yards, which was the only thing I ever shot with it.

Pretty sure my youngest uncle has it now. It is probably rusting in his closet along with an Ithaca 37.
View Quote
Strange, because from the factory they were drilled and tapped since the first came off the factory line.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I would figure they were all drilled and tapped for scope mounting. I've seen a lot of older BAR's and they all have 4x Leupold on them. I also know some BAR's came with no sights (my 270). And others came with a hooded front and adjustable rear.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Why all the stack deep if you're just going to move anyway?

I ain't going anywhere else.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#30]
I really want one to make a suppressor host
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 5:16:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why all the stack deep if you're just going to move anyway?

I ain't going anywhere else.
View Quote
¿Que?
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Browning needs to get with the times and sell a factory threaded model. The BOSS threads are oddball as I recall.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Floating Arsenals Battle Pirates on High Seas

More video of FNARs in anti piracy operations.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#34]

Finally got it from the FFL and will be sighting it in soon.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#35]
^^^^

Sweet!!!! Let us know how it shoots.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I have always wanted one of these. Wish they made more of the match version with the <cMillan stock as that looked the best in my opinion. Has anyone ever run one of these suppressed?
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Maybe seeing this post is a sign.  I just looked at a brand new Mk3 in .270wsm.  I can have it for $750.  FO?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top