BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You mean just like with bumpstocks, right?

A.W.D.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like it - a lot.

I will also say, that at some point these braces are going to force the hand of The Man to do away with SBR regs or go after braces - as stocks.
Everyone is simply too comfortable with the concept now, and we have rapidly drifted into the realm of "designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder."

A.W.D.
They'll go after braces because of exactly what you said in your second paragraph.
I find it interesting that everyone here assumes the left has an understanding of guns and current laws. So that they would see how braces so ingeniously skirt the law.

I don't give them enough credit.
You mean just like with bumpstocks, right?

A.W.D.
No because bumpstocks are all visual and little nuance. Most don't understand that it is just a piece of plastic or metal. That facilitates a shooting technique. One that can be done without the stock. They just see a YouTube vid and go oh my gosh full auto!

Those same people probably don't even know sbr's are regulated. I've had to explain to lots of folks why do the brace. Mostly because they didn't know you couldn't just put a stock on it. Braces really aren't on the lefts radar at large.  Any legislation to ban them would likely be coupled with a general ban on scary guns period.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Glad I have a couple on order. I’m just confused as to why they aren’t selling them for a bit less without the buffer tube.
View Quote
Do they also come with the castle nut and back plate? Or just he tube?
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:14:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The Maxim is $350-380. The Tailhook Mod1 is $99 and the Mod2 is $200. Considering the Mod3 is essentially a Mod1 on a PDW rod assembly, I see it being around $300 which will make it highly competitive in not only price, but function. An aluminum/hard polymer arm/shoulder interface much like a regular PDW stock is 99.9% of the real thing.
View Quote
I was thinking of the SB tactical one that is 250. It's not as interesting as the maxim but has a similar look.

Sbpdw optics planet
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Is this accurate?  My understanding once you put a real non- brace stock on it “becomes” a rifle forever
View Quote
If the initial configuration is a pistol, it can go back and forth.
If the initial configuration is a rifle, it is always a rifle.

Always build stripped lowers as pistols first.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was thinking of the SB tactical one that is 250. It's not as interesting as the maxim but has a similar look.

Sbpdw optics planet
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Maxim is $350-380. The Tailhook Mod1 is $99 and the Mod2 is $200. Considering the Mod3 is essentially a Mod1 on a PDW rod assembly, I see it being around $300 which will make it highly competitive in not only price, but function. An aluminum/hard polymer arm/shoulder interface much like a regular PDW stock is 99.9% of the real thing.

Sbpdw optics planet
The SB version is longer than all the others collapsed. If you're going to pay over $240 for a minimum OAL and not just looks it's a poor contender. That said, the SB is popular for those who want the PDW look but not much of the length savings. It's less than an inch shorter than a regular stock/brace collapsed. The Maxim is 2" shorter, and other versions are even shorter than that, like the Deadfoot.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Please excuse my ignorance, but how do you build a stripped lower as a pistol first? Just put a pistol buffer tube on it then take it off?

If if that's the case, how on Gods green earth is that enforceable?
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fuck, who knew there were pistol brace fanbois?
View Quote
LOL....Sometimes I wonder about peeps and how far they will climb for a view.

A "Blade" can take care of the whole "loaded rifle a vehicle" thing for well under $100.00. Not only does it work, it's simple, and it's a cost effective solution. Done and done.

Once the price of the "next best thing" in the brace world goes above $200.00 you may as well SBR unless you live in a state that prohibits them.

Hell I've built quality Bladed AR pistols cheaper than some of those brace rigs cost just by themselves.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think most here are familiar with MAP, and in fact most vendors on this and other websites are bound by it. What I, and others apparently, have a problem with, is requiring someone to pay for the knowledge of what the actual price is. Most sellers simply require you to add the item to your cart or contact them to see the price.

This is not a comment on you, but I do not trust any business that requires me to pay money just to know how much money I will save.

That said, this brace looks really good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you familiar with the concept of MAP?
I think most here are familiar with MAP, and in fact most vendors on this and other websites are bound by it. What I, and others apparently, have a problem with, is requiring someone to pay for the knowledge of what the actual price is. Most sellers simply require you to add the item to your cart or contact them to see the price.

This is not a comment on you, but I do not trust any business that requires me to pay money just to know how much money I will save.

That said, this brace looks really good.
Thanks for the feedback!
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks OP
I just ordered one for a gun I wasn't planning on building
View Quote
Been there lmao
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Since it uses a mil spec tube this really makes sense
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wish they'd release it without the buffer tube and slash the extra $40 to $60 for it.
Yep.  Would be nice to buy the brace and use it with a Vltor A5 tube/buffer.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The SB version is longer than all the others collapsed. If you're going to pay over $240 for a minimum OAL and not just looks it's a poor contender. That said, the SB is popular for those who want the PDW look but not much of the length savings. It's less than an inch shorter than a regular stock/brace collapsed. The Maxim is 2" shorter, and other versions are even shorter than that, like the Deadfoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sbpdw optics planet
I agree when I realized it was the same oal of a regular stock I kinda went meh. But it does seem popular anyway.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#12]
If I could find one, I'd own one.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
GD is a rough place to talk about pistol braces. It’s like talking to my pre-teen nephews about aerodynamics.
View Quote
It's like I'm playing cards with my brother's kids. Nerve-wracking sons of bitches.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If that worked then Cali wouldn't have the fucknutz gun laws they do. How much more 'disabled/differently abled adaptive' can anything be than a collapsible stock with different lengths for differently-abled or different height people? Haven't heard that working.

At best you'll have to prove a lack of an arm to get a special permit to be allowed to have a permit to purchase a brace. Subject to all psychological, storage, and use regulations and renewal, of course. Maybe it'll work if you have one arm. It certainly should. But then words used to mean things, too (...shall not be infringed.).
View Quote
Give it time. Heller took a while and may very well reach USSC level.  The ink hasn't completely dried with CA non stop stream of anti gun laws. But the higher they go the more unstable their laws become and subject to just one or a few court decisions and all comes down.  ADA May be a good one and I'm positive Sigs attorney's did mention such to ATF when getting the Sig brace approved.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Please excuse my ignorance, but how do you build a stripped lower as a pistol first? Just put a pistol buffer tube on it then take it off?

View Quote
No, just put the stock on last.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same way you would build a stripped lower as a rifle (first).
Simply, build a pistol.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Fuck, who knew there were pistol brace fanbois?
View Quote
There are everything fanbois
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 2:13:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yep, with any upper.  Must be a complete pistol.
Just hand thread the receiver extension on and build it.
I have a spare just for that purpose.

Yep, remember that if you're ever charged under this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, with any upper.  Must be a complete pistol.
Just hand thread the receiver extension on and build it.
I have a spare just for that purpose.

Yep, remember that if you're ever charged under this.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Or say you built it as a pistol first, whatever.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 3:24:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the heads up.

Just bought one to replace a kak shockwave on my 10.3 colt 6945 upper.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does this also work on a treadmill?
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 3:36:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I bet that thing is perfection
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is this accurate?  My understanding once you put a real non- brace stock on it “becomes” a rifle forever
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought you couldn’t have a rifle buffer tube on a pistol.

If you have a spare stock laying around, it seems that could be defined as constructive intent.
There is nothing prohibiting the use of a standard buffer tube on a pistol.  Some here get hebee jee bees at the thought of it though.

There is also nothing prohibiting having an extra stock body capable of being installed on a standard buffer tube, of a rifle.

If you own a rifle capable of legally accepting the extra stock body, you are gtg.  If you have a barreled upper of 16" or greater and a stock body, there is nothing prohibiting you from converting your pistol to a rifle and back again.
Your understanding is incorrect.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes but not on a helicopter
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#25]
I believe Q is going to offer the Honey Badger with a brace option soon
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a time to be alive....
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have a spare stock laying around, it seems that could be defined as constructive intent.
There is nothing prohibiting the use of a standard buffer tube on a pistol.  Some here get hebee jee bees at the thought of it though.

There is also nothing prohibiting having an extra stock body capable of being installed on a standard buffer tube, of a rifle.

If you own a rifle capable of legally accepting the extra stock body, you are gtg.  If you have a barreled upper of 16" or greater and a stock body, there is nothing prohibiting you from converting your pistol to a rifle and back again.
There was some nonsense where the ATF was screwing with Thompson/Center that IIRC the ATF lost in court.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There was some nonsense where the ATF was screwing with Thompson/Center that IIRC the ATF lost in court.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And years later the result was ATF Ruling 2011-4 which everyone should probably read for themselves.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 7:31:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sbpdw optics planet
View Quote
I'm intrigued by it.  How rigid is it?  I had one of the original Sig braces and didn't like the floppiness.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 7:46:22 AM EDT
[#30]
I have an M16, SBRs, and brace pistols...guess which ones I use the most...The pistol can have a round in the chamber while in a vehicle or on an ATV and can be used for small game hunting in Colorado.  Rifles have to have the chamber empty and have to be cased and completely unloaded on ATVs.  Also, I dont care near as much about wear and tear on the pistol.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
It’s enforcable because you know what to say, if you’re ever asked. In other words: keep your story straight.

The burden is on the government to prove you committed a crime. The burden is not on the individual to prove your innocence.

With that said, don’t break any laws.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#32]
I believe there are ATF ruling(s) or letter(s) stating that a milspec style buffer tube does not constitute a stock.  Only an attached buttstock makes it a stock.  So the simple answer is to completely assemble an AR *without* the buttstock attached - at which point you have built a 16" barreled pistol, or a 20" barreled pistol or whatever.  As the final step, you slip the buttstock assembly onto the buffer tube and presto, your pistol has become a rifle, but per ATF Ruling 2011-4 it began life as a pistol and may now be converted back and forth at will.

I actually bought a pistol stock for a Ruger 10/22 style gun to be able to build a stripped receiver as a pistol (16" barrel) first.

FWIW, IMO this is one reason to not buy 2nd hand stripped receivers - because you don't really know whether that receiver began life as a rifle or not.  If it were sold first as a stripped receiver, you're likely ok - barring the original purchaser posting his rifle on facespace or something, but if the manufacturer shows that serial number shipped out as a rifle, then you're likely fooked.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#33]
so between the SBA3 and the SBPDW, which collapses the shortest? Or are they the same length collapsed?
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Let's see how well my Karnak is working...

I predict the next "mass shooting" will somehow involve a "pistol brace". Whadaya wanna bet?
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
... nice, braces "should" be the death of the whole SBR bullshit
View Quote
Or.. They'll go the way of the bumpsocks..
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Depends on if a mass shooter uses one to great effect like the bump stock I suppose. Those aren't officially illegal yet are they?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I understand your point, and agree, but more than likely I think they'll be the next bump stock.
Depends on if a mass shooter uses one to great effect like the bump stock I suppose. Those aren't officially illegal yet are they?
It'll happen, sooner or later. Somebody will use one and then the media will be omgwtfbbq!!!allows shooter to conceal gun/loophole in law/NRA members flaunt law/etc.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can do the same to a complete rifle lower that has not had an upper attached to it yet. Take off stock and put on pistol buffer and brace. #Mindwarp

Just goes to show you how stupid gun laws are.

I love my SBRs, but if I wanted a short barrel now I'd just do a pistol brace setup.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I still prefer Gear Head works, not buying something without an approval letter.

https://i.imgur.com/qMeE8Es.jpg
View Quote
Nice,
I see it's uses a standard buffer as well.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#39]
I found a Tailhook Mod 1 in stock (FDE tho); should be here Monday for my AR9 pistol build.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There’s an actual Letter of Clarification on the steps of assembly to avoid running afoul of regulations. It’s digitized and floating somewhere out there in the ocean that is the Web.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 11:31:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Nice,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I still prefer Gear Head works, not buying something without an approval letter.

https://i.imgur.com/qMeE8Es.jpg
Nice,
The website states it comes with a proprietary receiver extension. That and costing almost twice as much pushed me to order a SBa3.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Why do people with SBRs get salty when a conversation about pistols starts? It's like gun owners eating their own because they don't like the way someone went about it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Why do people with SBRs get salty when a conversation about pistols starts? It's like gun owners eating their own because they don't like the way someone went about it.
View Quote
People get heated because before braces existed they spent a bunch on SBRs, and went through all the nfa ass pain. The more stocklike the braces get, the less SBRs make any sense at all. I still want a couple SBRs myself, I always get both.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I see it differently:

"Pistol" I can carry in the trunk/truck from state to state (in free America anyway ), I don't have to waste an extra $200 on for Uncle Sugar's slush fund, and does not involve a waiting period, is:

While an SBR is:

Link Posted: 4/16/2018 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Nice,
View Quote
It does not.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Documentation says it can use a standard carbine buffer tube, but I believe it comes with a proprietary one. Not sure what makes it different?
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Documentation says it can use a standard carbine buffer tube, but I believe it comes with a proprietary one. Not sure what makes it different?
View Quote
-usually the ability to accept standard collapsible AR stock bodies.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#49]
YES
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wish they'd release it without the buffer tube and slash the extra $40 to $60 for it.
Can't do that. There is a limit on the maximum length of pull for it to be a legal pistol brace. Even a regular carbine tube would be too long if the last position worked (it doesn't with the SBA3).
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top