Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/22/2005 9:13:15 AM EDT
Ok, here's the deal.  I work for ROTC and am the enrollment officer.  I go to a college fair at a junior college last night.  I set up the table and only two people even looked at my brochures/card and when they saw it was for ROTC, they said no way.  I see this all the time and it doesn't necessarily bother me.  Not everyone is suited for a military career.  But, when parents say no way and then act like they or their kids are too good or too smart for the military, that's when I get angry.  

I guess is just chaps my hide to see these sheeple walking around and they are perfectly willing to let someone else's kid defend their right to breath but not their own kid.  Why do we defend these mutts?  If you don't want to do it, fine, but don't criticize those who choose a military career.  Sometimes it's all I can do not to strangle some people.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Why do we defend these mutts?

Because, frustrating as it is, they live in the same country as your wife/girlfriend/Mom.  Try to remember who it is you WANT to be defending.  At least that's the approach I always took.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:19:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
But, when parents say no way and then act like they or their kids are too good or too smart for the military, that's when I get angry.  

I guess is just chaps my hide to see these sheeple walking around and they are perfectly willing to let someone else's kid defend their right to breath but not their own kid.  Why do we defend these mutts?  If you don't want to do it, fine, but don't criticize those who choose a military career.  Sometimes it's all I can do not to strangle some people.  

Sure I'm willing to defend the US. Right down to my next door neighbors kid.

Over the years I constantly wonder if many of the moonbats in this country are even WORTH defending. Many are NOT.

ETA, if you don't ask youself this every so often, then you're not thinking. If you can't think, I probably don't want you to protect me because you're an idiot.

Questioning  yourself shows me you have at least half a brain and good mental health, so please stay in. I need you.

Remember, many of these parents are Viet era people and leftover hippies.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ok, here's the deal.  I work for ROTC and am the enrollment officer.  I go to a college fair at a junior college last night.  I set up the table and only two people even looked at my brochures/card and when they saw it was for ROTC, they said no way.  I see this all the time and it doesn't necessarily bother me.  Not everyone is suited for a military career.  But, when parents say no way and then act like they or their kids are too good or too smart for the military, that's when I get angry.  

Wow, sorry to hear that.

Reminds me of when I returned from my Navy training and was getting ready to head to my first duty station. I volunteered for recruiting duty to save some leave time, and rode around with an E-6 recruiter. We stopped at a fast food place because someone he knew was there. As we walked up we saw that his friend was talking to some woman who proceeded to tell us that her son wasn't "dumb enough" to join the military...

I wanted to slap her so f'ing hard...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
[
Wow, sorry to hear that.

As we walked up we saw that his friend was talking to some woman who proceeded to tell us that her son wasn't "dumb enough" to join the military...

I wanted to slap her so f'ing hard...

I heard a woman say that once a few years back. I told her that her son didn't have the moral fiber to be accepted into the service because they didn't take drug abusers, alcoholics and people with criminal records. The shoe fit this time and the woman burst into tears and fled.

I wonder how it feels to raise a kid that can't even join the service for those reasons?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#5]
fuck 'em, leg. just remember you're a better person than those limp wristed soccer mom and dad shitbirds will ever be.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:30:58 AM EDT
[#6]
You wear the uniform because you are worthy Professional, the sheeple running around your table will never know the Pride of wearing a uniform, upholding one's oath to the Constitution, and comradery of fellow Serviceman and Veterans.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#8]
If you didn't continue to wear the uniform you'd have to buy a whole new wardrobe.

It'd be horrible.  You'd have to worry about putting together a complete outfit and accessories.

It'd have to change every day!

Remember, you are dealing with the hippies.  The good folks, the Real Americans, are going to the Recruiter's Office.  You are on the front line of the zombie hippy invasion.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you didn't continue to wear the uniform you'd have to buy a whole new wardrobe.

It'd be horrible.  You'd have to worry about putting together a complete outfit and accessories.

It'd have to change every day!.

GAWD! I remember getting up every morning and announcing cheerfully this: "I think I'll wear my green shirt today!"
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Damn....I know what you are talking about sir. The whole thing in NOLA had me reevaluating what I was doing and definately broke my motivation for a few days. (Felt like this country was hardly worth defending any more if they are going to act just like the shit heads we are out there trying to kill everyday.)

Realized that if I could keep it from getting worse than it is, and keeping the sandbox in the sandbox so to speak, than it was worth anything. At least my folks don't need to worry about a suicide bomber coming into thier favorite resteraunt and mashing the trigger. (Yes, my folks still go on dates with each other after 21 years of marriage.) And my 18 year old sister, my 11 year old brother and my 10 year old sister dont need to worry about Hadji walking into thier schools and holding them hostage for days. (Russia).

And yes, my TL made me realize this....hes damn wise for being only two years older than I, and 3 years longer in the Army.

John

EDIT: And my father confided in me just before i left for basic, (after being pretty not happy after I signed...barely spoke for about a week after I signed) that its just that when you think about soldiers, you don't usually think of the idea that your child could be in a grave before you.

I don't think I've ever seen a man so proud as the day he stood up in the bleachers on my graduation day from OSUT. I've seen him tear up very very few times in my life.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:42:35 AM EDT
[#11]
PAr tof the burden of being the warrior caste, man.  Just take it in stride.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I've seen that attitude plenty of times out of parents and the kids too.

I enlisted in high school, EVERYONE acted like I was crazy for throwing my life away.  There was no thanks at all.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#13]
That sucks. Keep your head up. What your doing is a great service to people that realize it and aren’t smart enough to. Thank you for your service.  

I remember my parents standing at the bus station looking as proud as can be when I was leaving for Boot. The fact that I was leaving to serve and the fact that I was a sh!t head as a teen and about to get a real awakening may have had allot to do with it.

I sometimes wonder how they would have acted if Desert Storm had started up earlier and I was leaving as we had been mobilizing for war.

My brother-in-law won't even let the nephew play football because it's too dangerous. That kid will have his work cut out for him if he's ever going to become a warrior.

(difference between inlaws and outlaws.... outlaws are wanted.)
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:46:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Tell me why I continue to wear a uniform?

'Cause chicks dig it, dur.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#15]
One of my big regrets is NOT taking ROTC in college. I should have jumped on it then, but I didn't. Now, though, I'm considering going into the Marines OCS next year, if my law enforcement plans with certain state/local agencies (I used to work for a city PD, but was injured) don't pan out by the end of this year.

I appreciate those who serve.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Pride and Honor, Redleg....

Its tough in the academic surroundings, since it is full of liberal, anti-American military haters.

But, like in Starship Troopers, I feel those who put on the uniform, or at least who are willing to put on the uniform even if they can't, are citizens a bit above those who won't, or despise those who do.

I felt tremendous pride, and it was an honor to wear my uniform when I did. And with whats going on now, I wish I still was wearing it.

In fact, I feel a bit of shame that I am not....

Take it in stride, and know that there are plenty of good people who will continue to put on the uniform in this country.

How does that saying go? Non legitimi carborundum est....Don't let the bastards wear you down...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

(difference between inlaws and outlaws.... outlaws are wanted.)

So he speaketh the truth!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#18]
This sums it up when it comes to those attitudes:

Tommy

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
   O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
   But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
   The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
   O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
   For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
   But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
   The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
   O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
   Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
   But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
   The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
   O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
   While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind",
   But it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind,
   There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
   O it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
   For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
   But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
   An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
   An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#19]
I sometimes wonder why active recruitment still goes on.  Most anyone who was thinking about joining would go to a recruitment office or simply go online.

How many people that you cold call actualy join vs. people who come to the office?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:09:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Gary Johnston: We're dicks! We're reckless, arrogant, stupid dicks. And the Film Actors Guild are pussies. And Kim Jong Il is an asshole. Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes: assholes that just want to shit on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can fuck an asshole is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is: they fuck too much or fuck when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a pussy to show them that. But sometimes, pussies can be so full of shit that they become assholes themselves... because pussies are an inch and half away from ass holes. I don't know much about this crazy, crazy world, but I do know this: If you don't let us fuck this asshole, we're going to have our dicks and pussies all covered in shit!

This kind of attitude has been going on since the 60's. It was no different during the Vietnam conflict.

You know as well as I do, that all those kids wander around on campus, and spend everyday trying to discover their purpose in life. Some, like sister-in-law, spend their lives searching for reason & purpose and they never find it. Most unhappy bunch of hippie fuckers you'll ever meet. The fact of the matter is this:

Life is about being a Warrior. Ghandi was a warrior, Jesus was a warrior, Moses was a warrior, the Dali Lama is a warrior. That's the true meaning of life, your purpose hear on earth.

You cannot have summer without winter, spring without fall, day without night, love without hate, peace without war. That's it in a nutshell.

Being a warrior doesn't neccessarily require weapons of the tangible kind, words can be your weapon, your deeds can be your weapon. But you cannot be a warrior without the warrior spirit, if you claim to be a pacifist and not a warrior, then you will perish for warriors are what win battles.

It's your duty to find the warriors and the warrior spirit. It is there, sometimes it must be kindled. The chaff must be seperated from the grain. The sheep must be saved so the wolves can feed and give the Warriors purpose in life. It all works in unison. Yin & Yang, day & night. So says CS223  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I wish I would have met a ROTC recruiter in college, I would have joined.  When I was a senior in high school I was considering joining the USMC, however after I took my ACT and scored a 24 with 28's in math and science, my dad told me "If you want to be ordered around by people dummer than you go ahead, other wise go to college and continue your education."  Also, my parents had saved enough money to put me through school so money wasn't a problem.

My dad is in no way an anti-military person, he was drafted in 1968 and did a tour in Nam in 1968/1969, 1st Inf.  He always talked about the military in possitive way even though he was drafted.    

Anyways, I think people make decisions based on what they preceive to be their best option at the time, some it is a trade school, some it is college and some it is the military.  It is pretty hard to get parents motivated to send their children to the military and  Iraq no matter how pro-military they are, when they watch the news at night. It is so negatively scewed, shit you would think we where loosing a thousand men a day over there.

I think the military is a good option for some and not others.  However everyone should support are military no matter what their politics are.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:13:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#24]
I just wanted to throw in my two cents -

Im 21 and have no service exprience - Ive been thinking about it alot lately . . . .

I just wanted to say this: I never thought "Im not dumb enough to join the military"

I personally think its one of the most honorable things you can do . . . I havent b/c im engaged to be married - If i join its going to be "later" in life (23 - 25 )

I just wanted to let you know that not all college kids are in the mind set - I usally always stop at recruiters tables just to say hi and shake their hand - Its not a very easy job

Thanks  for all you do

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#25]

because you are a better man then most.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I sometimes wonder why active recruitment still goes on.  Most anyone who was thinking about joining would go to a recruitment office or simply go online.

How many people that you cold call actualy join vs. people who come to the office?

A lot of recruiting is getting the face and the name out there. Let people know excactly what ROTC/PLC entails (versus the bullshit they hear through the rumor mill), give them a business card, so when they come to the realization that this is what they want to do, they'll know how to get started on that path.

Everyone that's in has had a moment where they decided .. the military is for me. It isn't likely to happen AT a recruiting table. But when it does, you want to have talked to them and have your business card or flyer on their desk.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Parents are worried about having to bury their kids, but it is easier to tell Johnny he is "too good" for the military.

Don't worry - very few shitheads actually belive that.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#28]
I never served. I'm 46 now and the most lasting regret that I'll take to my grave is that I never served. Those of you young enough to sign up, my best advice is to do so. Don't end up like us old farts that can only say, 'I wish I had'

However, I honor EVERY man and woman wearing the uniform of this country's military, every last one of them.

My eldest sister though, is NOT that way. Her son is 15 now and is nuts about everything military. When I suggested that he may possibly want to apply to one of the military academy's for his college, she sharply announced that HER son would NOT become a soldier (and sort of 'spit' the word 'soldier' out like it had a foul taste). All I could say to her was that with the way he was raised, he probably didn't have the physical or mental abilities to become a good soldier. And left it at that.

I am sure though that our father was rolling over in his grave at her words. He'd served in WW2 all the way through Korea and most of Vietnam and was proud of that service, as I'd believed everyone in our family was. My sister's a great disappointment to me.

As a recruiter, you've got the nastiest, hardest job there is in the military. There's a lot of vocal people that look down on you and dispise your chosen profession. Screw them. There's alot of NONVOCAL people that revere you and your comrades for the service you perform.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:40:06 AM EDT
[#29]
At a minimum we are not seeing the "I need the money for college" crowd anymore since it will actually require them to fulfill their contract.  I wouldn't worry about it anyway.  Next time it happens just let them politely know that military service isn't for everyone and that you’re happy they are pursuing a less "demanding" and "challenging" career.  Or you can tell them they have made a wise decision and that the military is definitely NOT for cowards .
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#30]
If you think of it as defending the people who live in this country then I'd agree, why bother. I certainly wouldn't put my life on the line for most of the asshats I walk by in the course of a day.

Think of it this way:

I, redleg13a, do solemly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed overme, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

To me that's the important part. More the "idea" of this country. After seeing Gladiator I kind of think of the US the same way...

The dialogue where this was said by Marcus Aurelius "There was a dream that was Rome. You could only whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish, it was so fragile."

Marcus Aurelius: Tell me again, Maximus, why are we here?
Maximus: For the glory of the Empire, sire.

It's the ideals of this country that are worth putting on a uniform for. Not for the conceited parents and their spoiled brats. Not for the drug dealers, crackwhore welfare tit sucking baby factories, or the child molestors. Sadly, those are who live here and who we protect so I always found it easier on my heart and mind not to think about the people who are destroying this country from within. Otherwise I might take to the idea of simply going on a murderous rampage and killing those that are the true enemy and threat to this country.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#31]
"People sleep peacefully in thier beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on thier behalf."
- George Orwell

I am ever grateful that young men and women like yourself "stand ready" for me and my family.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Eh, screw them all to hell.  

I have a son and a daughter.  I would be proud if either of them were to join up.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Wow, I'm humbled.  Guys and gals like you are why I continue to wear my uniform.  Thanks for reminding me of who and what really matters.  

ASNixon, I wish I could tell someone that the military is not for cowards.  I'm afraid I wouldn't be invited back to that school.  I could possible get away with the first suggestion, however.

Pathfinder74, I was just talking this morning to a coworker about the oath we take at enlisting/commissioning and that the cadets take when contracting.  We were talking about how many of them actually understand and take to heart the oath they are reciting.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#34]
My mother in law despises my job with the AF.  I make roughly a little more than $21 an hour if you count that I work 38 hours a week and add all my benefits, retirement, insurance, ect in.  I take care of my wife and child, have a hice clean house with all the things you want like cable, internet, new furnature, and ect.   I also have a brand new pickup and car for my wife.  I have seperate life and health insurance so that I am not dependant on just SGLI.

Now I look at her family one brother works for $11 and hour with no benefits and can't even afford a trailer to live in and he keeps moving back home.  He can't afford to take care of his baby and doesn't live with the mother.

The other brother couldn't graduate highschool and just got fired from a supermarket.  He has no future at all.

DOES MY JOB LOOK SO BAD NOW????  I guess in your world everyone could be poorass peaceniks but not me.  I want to be able to eat when I gat ready to.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

FunYun: It was a cold call by a Civillian recruiter for the Army that got me thinking. At least subconciously. Didn't gather the courage to walk through those doors till about 4 months later, my best friend in tow. (Most scary thing I ever did) She was there to make sure I didn't do something stupid and knee jerk. Made contact with a SFC Miller, and he started talking to me, about what i wanted in life, about the job field that I was taking courses for, (Crim. Justice) and eventually I decided I wanted to be an MP. He didnt give me the bullshit that I would be in a patrol car all the time. (I would go nuts doing that) But I would get to stretch my legs out in a HMMWV with a SAW/.50cal on top and do some QRF and Convoy Escort. He had a no-BS Attitude with me, and explained that It was probably one of the more dangerous jobs at the moment when you go to Iraq/A-stan.

That was in August. Came in on and off for different things, took my ASVAB, he tried to talk me out of MP and into CI or Interogator, then got me down to MEPs and got me signed for MP. ETS: Jan 11, 2010.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Because you lead from the front and provide a motivating example, and then hopefully a fine young persons see's this and follows in your footsteps to repeat the cycle.

Or atleast that's what I thought at one time.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Why arn't your cadets doing stuff like that?  Seems like something they should be doing, gives senior cadets a chance to "run" little operations and things.  Its how they did it when I was in AFROTC.

I think a lot of older prior service folks think that ROTC is still largely for reserve officers; like how it used to be way way back.  Others who don't know the military just think ROTC is like enlisting.  Getting out there dispells some of the myths and what it is and isnt.

But yea, in general the military (except the marines) are not that good at marketing themselves.  Before I hear "they shouldn't have to, its your duty; we are an honorable group yada yada" well yes thats true, but face facts.  In todays world you have to sell your own image.  In doing that you need to be honest about what kinds of people your looking for.  The military sells what they can offer: money, education, training, but often times leave out what is expected and what they want in you.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#38]
A small change to the prerequisites for obtaining citizenship are in order. Then a new advertising campaign.

http://img281.imageshack.us/img281/6141/joinupnow8xf.jpg

They're doing their part. Are you? Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Until that time.

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/1079/liberalpussieswarposter5ad.jpg
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#39]

The ROTC is one of the most important training programs the military has today and it has a huge impact you don’t always see on campus. .

The university where I took ROTC kicked them off campus years ago.  Since around 50% of the states NG officers came out of that program it created a huge shortage. When the NG was called up for Iraq they started promoting NCOs to LTs to help fill the gap. That in turn led to a shortage of the more experienced NCOs. When deployed those NG units started suffering some of the highest losses of any NG units in Iraq.

No matter what the obstacle, stay in the fight for the ROTC. It will save lives.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#40]

Tell me why I continue to wear a uniform?

Regulations.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#41]
It could be worse.
You could be 32, and wondering why you never did.
Be proud of your service.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
It could be worse.
You could be 32, and wondering why you never did.
Be proud of your service.

Or you could be 32 and wishing you never got out...(well I dont regret that I got  out, but I just think it would be a hoot to be back in).
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I've seen that attitude plenty of times out of parents and the kids too.

I enlisted in high school, EVERYONE acted like I was crazy for throwing my life away.  There was no thanks at all.  

Whoa...
The crowd I hung out with thought you were a fag if you DIDN'T enlist.

Quoted:
Fuck em.
20 years from now, married, fat, worthless job shitty spoiled kids they will look back and their greatest regret will be that they never served.

This is very true.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#44]
you wear a uniform because society says nudity is bad
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm in the military and I have done my part, been there, done that.  I think the public are getting smarter and opting to live instead of dying unnecessarily in another country.  Not knowing if you come back alive or if at all would put me into thinking if I really would like to join.  It's like asking to be put on death row.

That's my opinion.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Actually the recruiters do a good job of connecting willing applicants with the program.

I joined ROTC after doing a carreer seminar thing for college, I always wanted to join but thought I'd never get past the medical. The recruiter reassured me that I had a chance.

(Of course I was later thrown out on the medical so that whole experience might just be pants for an example)
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Thread hijack...

Do they call the arty guys in the 82nd Airborne 'redlegs'?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#48]
If I was 25 years younger and was able to listen to my inner self better I would have joined in a heartbeat, something I know I will regret is not serving in some branch of the military as my father did in WWII.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Why do we defend these mutts?

I don't... I defend my family and friends.  Those idiots just happen to occupy the same country I live in.  
~Dg84
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I'm in the military and I have done my part, been there, done that.  I think the public are getting smarter and opting to live instead of dying unnecessarily in another country.  Not knowing if you come back alive or if at all would put me into thinking if I really would like to join.  It's like asking to be put on death row.
That's my opinion.

Guess it depends on your view of the world you live in.
I got out and if things had been just a little different I'd have fought to stay in. But I opted to get out and not miss out on any of my son's childhood.

I applaud any service member who can make that sacrifice (including my wife). It's probably one of the hardest things to do is leave your family behind... especially an infant/toddler who will be growing up so much in the span of a deployment.
The whole fear of death thing, I think those who believe in what they're doing and believe in the values of this country don't let the possibility of gettingkilled cloud their thoughts. They do what they have to do and what most people either can't or won't do.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top