Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 2:08:26 PM EDT
I love my range. I was given a complimentary membership from a  friends dad who donated alot of the land. It has a awesome rifle range set back in a rock quarry with huge walls rising up on 3 sides. I believe it has about ten stations and ranges out to 100 yards with steel targets at two stations.

The pistol range has wires at 7,15 and 25 yards and a coupe of steel targets too..

The .22 range has over a hundred chickens and various reactive targets. I think it is set out to 25 yards....
They have a training area with barrells and obstacles in a alcove where you can pretty much do what you without causing damage to target holders. i havent really given that a workout yet but lan on tomorrow actually.
I havwnt run across any gangbanging idiots or unsafe people there yet and the oldtimers arent so bad too.
Its only 35.00 a year to join and i highly recommend it to anyone in the eastern Pa area.

www.efga.net

Dislikes: Nothng past 100 yards (my change as they just bought some more land)

No 50 caliber

No guests
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Big dirt mound in the back of a cheapo campground.

Likes...
Pretty much anything goes, full auto, blast away at drycleaners ect.
90% of the time nobody is out there

Dislikes...
I had I guy start shooting when I was downrange with 2 noobie shooters
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#2]
--reasonably priced (10 bucks gets you in for all-day shooting, unlimited guns)
--not crowded usually, especially during the week

Dislikes:
--No FMJ in rifle calibers
--No shotgun slugs
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I havn't fired a gun in a month. I'm starting to get a little edgey.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:23:36 PM EDT
[#4]
My range was $175 for the first year and $125 every year after.  That price is very low considering I used to pay $8-11 for an hour of range time shooting only handguns.  Now the range that I belong to is a huge outdoor facility with up to 300 yards for rifles, pistol ranges, 100 and 50 yard rifle ranges, .22 range, shotgun range, clubhouse, etc.

The only problem I have with my range is that the 300 yard benches shoot over the heads of the 200 yard benches, so you can only use 1 at a time and usually the 200 yard benches have at least one person there (who usually doesn't want to switch).
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#5]
$10 a year and pretty much anything goes, except shotguns. All outdoor, 7, 25, 50, 100, 200 yard lines, and decent shooting benches.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:39:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I go to a local public 30-yd indoor range; it's the oldest/largest public indoor range around. As far as I know, there are no public outdoor ranges within at least a hour's drive one-way, and I don't have anywhere else regularly to shoot.

The place I go lets you-
---shoot pistols, rifles up to 308 and shotguns (shot/slugs), but no steel-core ammo. You never see anyone with AK's/SKS's in there!
---lets you rapid-fire as much as you want, but speed-reloading and speed-drawing are not allowed (there are CTV cameras on every lane).
---I dunno what kind of events they run. I don't have a lot of interest in that; I mainly want someplace that is open freely during daytime hours.

By the by--where I go is where the three IL police got busted for illegal FA-m16's. ....And this is the range where ALL the area cops go to practice--all the local cities, county and state. Duh!
~
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#8]
10 minutes away

Dislikes
Target frames are garbage
Rifle range only goes out to ~200 yards
Idiotic old man that hassles us whenever we're there
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Backyard.

Dislikes:
I feel guilty over the noise level. I don't have any supressors. Yet.
I don't shoot much, because there isn't a proper back stop.
Since there isn't a proper back stop, I don't invite friends over. Too risky.

With a can, and a huge dirt mound (I wonder where I'm gonna get that much dirt?) It would be just about perfect. I have the Sherrif's blessing, but the lack of a good backstop makes me nervous, even if he doesn't seem to mind.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Backyard.

Dislikes:

With a can, and a huge dirt mound (I wonder where I'm gonna get that much dirt?) It would be just about perfect. I have the Sherrif's blessing, but the lack of a good backstop makes me nervous, even if he doesn't seem to mind.

I know where you could get the dirt. For free.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#11]
My range has pistol, rifle and shotgun. Ranges vary up to 1,000 yards. Annual fee is $35 per year. On average I shoot there about twice a week. I have been there as much as 4 days in a week.

Dislikes:

Weekend warriors on Saturday and Sunday and SKS/AK/AR wannabe camo clown types...

Charles.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Backyard.

Dislikes:

I know where you could get the dirt. For free.

Do tell.

Does this involve renting a Cat for a day?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Likes?  Good guys, fairly close

Dislikes?  Indoors

HH
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Likes: 5 miles from my house, indoors, target carriers, lots of guns in stock to fondle.

Dislikes:  Range Nazis, high prices, always crowded, long waits, dark, short range, 3 seconds between shots, really high prices, no ccw in store, infact no carrying firearms in store, usually unfriendly atmosphere, really really high prices.  No EBR stuff, except a few rifles.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Tucson Rifle Club:

Likes:  500m riifle silhouette range, 200m pistol silhouette range, 2x100 yard "public" ranges, 100 yard .22 silhouette range, 5-bay action-shooting range, 1000 yard range with 200, 300, 600 and 1000 yard firing points, 100 yard Department of Public Safety range.  Most shooting lines are covered and have benches.  I was a match director and a board member, so they know me there. $40/year familiy membership or $6/day.  Bathrooms and potable water, snack and soda machines.  Minimal rangemaster interference, but there ARE rangemasters to boot off the ignorant assholes.  Full-auto allowed.  Rapid fire not frowned on.

Dislikes:  Only approved targets allowed (understandable, that).  LOTS of people use the range  It's a 45 minute drive away.

Casa Grande Public Range:

Likes.  Covered shooting line with concrete benches.  250yd main range.  Free.  Good berms. No rangemasters.  Shoot what you want, but CLEAN IT UP.

Dislikes:  It's an hour away.  Until recently they had no bathroom facilities.  I undertand now they have porta-potties, but I havent' been up there recently.  It's an hour drive away.  (Did I say that already?)  No rangemasters.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Likes- close to home,indoors-good when its cold.

Dislikes- indoors-sucks when its crowded. You have to buy your rifle ammo there.Way to much money. Rifle range is only 25 meters.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Dislikes:  3 hours away and only 150 yards long.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm still waiting to hear where I can get a shit pile of dirt for a little bit o' nothin'.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I usually shoot out in the open close to home.

The public range I go to when I meet up with others is ok, but the RO wears a throwing knife on his wrist plus 3 other knives. Nice guy, though...

Oh, and I was at the 100 yd line pounding in a target when he yelled  "commence fire" on his bullhorn
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Free
Uncontrolled
Covered  benches on concrete

Dislikes:

Only 235 yards
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I just shoot out in the game lands in a very big open clearing. No fee, and no people. The only downside is there isnt too much open area for long-range rifle shooting.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Out in the desert, about 10-15 mins. from home.

Good:No rules, ranges out to probably 1500 yds, no membership fees.

Bad: gotta measure distances yourself if you want to know for sure, no target stands or benches, have to remember to bring your own food/refreshments/beer, and rattlesnakes in the summer. Although if you like to collect their rattles or skulls, I guess they could be a plus
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Tell me about your range you go to.

They have a MG shoot there biannually.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I am not a member of the range I go to for rifle shooting, but most there are the bolt-action 'take-a-shot-tell-another-WWII-story-for-20-minutes-and-take-another-shot' crowd...  Most too have been members since 1964 or so...

Got told once that more than one shot a minute could get me banned

I don't go there to spray lead downrange, but a shot a minute   This is why I am getting into pistol caliber carbines, indoor ranges let you shoot them...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Dislikes:

No covered shooting area.
It has to be brush hogged/mowed every 3-4 weeks in summer.

Open 24 hours a day.
Pistol and rifle ranges are from 1 yard to 1000 yards.
Decent "Hogan's Alley" type of static set up.
I have never had to wait to shoot.
Any caliber weapon welcomed.
Rapid fire is allowed, and even encouraged.
Thermite and propane tanks are fair game.
You can leave you brass laying around and never have to pick it up.
I own it.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:49:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Backyard here too

22 and pistol off the back porch.  Rifles back farther from the house.  
500 yards in the back for long range.
New "active" shooting course I am developing.  More of a run and gun type course using both carbine and pistol.
Shooting 22 off the back porch while drinking beer and barbaqueing.

Dislikes:
I don't get to shoot enough.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Backyard here too

22 and pistol off the back porch.  Rifles back farther from the house.  
500 yards in the back for long range.
New "active" shooting course I am developing.  More of a run and gun type course using both carbine and pistol.
Shooting 22 off the back porch while drinking beer and barbaqueing.

Dislikes:
I don't get to shoot enough.

Show-off

We in the suburbs salute you
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#29]
What I like about my range?  Anything goes and it's in my back yard.  Dislikes?  I'm limited to 50 yards.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#30]
$150/year for a family, you get a key to the place, can't beat it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Nearby range:   .22 with steel "animal" knockovers, rifle and pistol are 7, 25, 50, 100 and 200 yards.  Nice rangemasters, covered benches.  The shotgun side is really nice, and there is always a couple of doctors shooting skeet in case there are any Cheney-esque accidents.  Some shotguns there are worth more than my house.  Limited hours of operation, though.  

Further away range:  Miami Rifle Pistol Club.  Up to 600 yards (with sign-off), 25-200 yard benchrest, pistol pits, nice covered pistol benchrest range with turning targets, great plinking range, lots of meets and shoots and various activities, and knowledgable folks willing to educate and share.

Still further away range:  Millers.  Open field with a berm, limited range supervision (ie, none), and usually a good group (I mean the people are always nice, just hit or miss whether someone else is there).
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Tell me about your range you go to.

They have a MG shoot there biannually.

and the BEST range in teh country IMO!
I will try to be there next month, just look for the big green truck

ETA: I just moved to a new city in NC, my cousins hubby owns half the county, I am gonna go find me a plot of forrest and mow down at minimum 500 yrd lane, anything goes . I;ll be the range nazi
can you say kaboom?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top