Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/3/2009 8:17:36 AM EDT
Im to the point where I want to get a nice watch. I really like the Omega Seamaster types. Can anyone make any recommendations?

Similar to this:
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know much about them first hand.  You can read up on them a ton over at the forums here. www.timezone.com

Only negative I've HEARD regarding Omegas is that compared to other brands (i.e. Breitling, Rolex, Sinn, etc. etc.) their customer service is a bit lacking.
Again, just what I've heard, not experienced.  That being said, and although not my first choice, I'd totally wear a Seamaster.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#2]
The steel used in Omegas gets scratched and dinged easily.

The Omega forum at timezone.com has a favorite dealer in DC who offers a generous discount off retail.

Ive owned a Seamaster Professional and a 42mm Planet Ocean. I sold both of them years ago and dont miss them. I really like my Submariner however.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:53:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Omega is what James Bond wears. Nuff said.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:53:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a Seamaster automatic, it's a decent enough watch.  Starting to lose more time than I'd like, but I'm about 5 years in and it needs to be cleaned which is normal.  Other than that I've had no issues with it and have been wearing it daily since I got it in '04.

Now if I had 5k to blow I'd get a Kobold Phantom (yes, a bit overpriced).
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:15:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you really want the Omega or are you looking at it because you want a less expensive alternative to the Rolex Submariner/Sea Dweller ?

I have one like the one pictured. I've had it for over 10 years. I use it as a knock around watch. It's been cleaned and adjusted twice and has put up with a lot of abuse. Good watch.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#6]
i wear an omega seamaster and it is the best watch i have ever owned. i have bumped the crystal a 1000 times and never got a scratch on it. it keeps time very well and will never let you down. these are swiss made, precision time pieces that are always classic in design and very rugged. you cannot go wrong with a seamaster..  plus waterproof to 1000 ft.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do you really want the Omega or are you looking at it because you want a less expensive alternative to the Rolex Submariner/Sea Dweller ?

I have one like the one pictured. I've had it for over 10 years. I use it as a knock around watch. It's been cleaned and adjusted twice and has put up with a lot of abuse. Good watch.

They appeal to me for some reason. I dont know exactly why however I get a more "commercial" feel when thinking of Rolex so perhaps thats why Im turned off to them. However if it means getting a superior time piece I would consider.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have been kicking around the idea of getting one myself.

The reason for thinking Omega is because it is less expensive than the Rolex Submariner.

BigDozer66

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I love my Seamaster.

It may be hard to fathom for some folks, but I actually chose that over a Rolex - not because it was a "cheaper copy of a Sub".

ETA:
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Great watch, equal to the overpriced/over hyped Rolex brand. I have a Professional Planet Ocean and it's built like a tank, keeps great time. Only negative is that some Omega's have the anti-reflective coating on the outside of the crystal as well as the inside, it can get very fine scratches in the coating (though not the crystal).

I was given a Sub and to be honest, I wouldn't pay what they are asking now for a Sub in any way shape or form. The only thing "better" about the Rolex is that it's a status symbol. They make over a million of the things a year, they will also bend you over during servicing. Mine makes a Sub look and feel like a bitch watch (my watch is comparable to the SeaDweller).  

My model:
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:39:39 AM EDT
[#11]
My Planet Ocean 42 has been great.
The band scratches easily, but the crystal has been indestructible.
It keeps great time.

I've found the local CS to be fantastic, BTW, but it is very dependent on your local dealer.

Mine has survived  countless rounds, multiple oceans, at least 25 countries, motorcycles, etc...
I tend to go though watches fast, and I've been very happy with it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Get one of these. My grandkids will be wearing them someday....

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#13]

My wife has a Rolex (dunno which model –– NOT the dive type though) and she spent $500 several years ago to have it repaired (wouldn't keep time!). It worked for a year and then stopped keeping time again. I bought her a Timex for before we got married and it's still the watch she wears every day. The Rolex just sits in the safe.

Not picking at your watches, just saying that because it's got the Rolex name on it doesn't mean it'll work forever. if anything ever happens to the wife I'm dumping that watch like a hot rock.

P.S. I wear my Swiss Milltary and Citizen Eco Drive watches daily. They take a beating and keep on ticking. I'll keep wearing those brands (and maybe Seiko) even if I decide I can afford a Rolex at some point.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I love my Seamaster.

It may be hard to fathom for some folks, but I actually chose that over a Rolex - not because it was a "cheaper copy of a Sub".

Not hard to believe at all. I bought mine because it reminded me of the old Pie Pan Constellations.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My Planet Ocean 42 has been great.
The band scratches easily, but the crystal has been indestructible.
It keeps great time.

I've found the local CS to be fantastic, BTW, but it is very dependent on your local dealer.

Mine has survived  countless rounds, multiple oceans, at least 25 countries, motorcycles, etc...
I tend to go though watches fast, and I've been very happy with it.

Good to hear. I am extremely hard on stuff it seems so Im glad it can take a beating.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#16]
The Rolex haters on this forum always make their opinions known when discussing watches.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:03:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Rolex haters on this forum always make their opinions known when discussing watches.

As do the Rolex lovers. And your point is?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Well, they are completely overpriced.....look at how many watches Rolex produces on an annual basis.

No doubt they are marketing geniuses for what they have been able to achieve, I'll give them credit for that.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#19]
FWIW, I don't hate Rolex.  Probably will end up with one at some point, but I don't consider them the pinnacle of horology.  They are a swiss watch maker with a storied history and reputation, and capitalize very heavily on that.

If I had to choose a Rolex right now, I'd go for the old Sea Dweller (not the Deep Sea).
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a Seamaster GMT and  a Panerai PAM89 (GMT). I LOVE my Panerai, but their customer service SUCKS. Both watches are about 5 years old. I've had the Panny back to NY several times for overhaul. The service people keep screwing something up in the overhaul (first time the crown was incorrectly reinstalled. Second time they overtorqued the crown guard and it broke...and it's titanium!

Funny thing is, the Seamaster just keeps on tickin' and keeping perfect time. I seem to have it on my wrist more often than the Panny since the Panny spends so much time in NY under warranty. Go for an Omega and you won't be disappointed. Remember, it's the only watch to have gone to the moon!

I like the Apollo 11 40-yr.  anniversary watch too:

Cheers,

/TCP
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#21]
It's an ETA movement, which is actually considered a low end movement.

The highest quality movements for the money are the 8 and 9 series Seiko Movements (not sold in USA). For 3 to 4K you can get a movement that far exceeds Rolex in quality.

If money is no object and you want the best money can buy, get a Patek Phillippe Tourbillon, but your house will be cheaper than your watch.  Low six figures is a cheap PP Tourbillion.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

My band and case scratch pretty easily but the bezel and crystal still look like new

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Omega is what James Bond wears. Nuff said.

Good enough for NASA as well;  they're what went to the moon.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Any retailer of Omega's will go to a 20% discount if you ask.

When I asked for it, the salesman asked why.  I said because the guy in the next store already offered that to me, and if you don't I'll leave now.

He came back in 2 minutes and said not only will we give you 20%, but we will extend the warranty on our dime to 3 yrs.

Love my watch, but remember it is an automatic.  It will never be as accurate as a quartz, but they are nice watches.

Mine has been around, and still not a scratch of the face crystal.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a pre moon-edition Speedmaster my dad gave me. He got it new in '71 IIRC.

Very nice watch, it's got some wear to it, but is still going strong.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#26]
bump for after workers
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, they are completely overpriced.....look at how many watches Rolex produces on an annual basis.

No doubt they are marketing geniuses for what they have been able to achieve, I'll give them credit for that.

Tell you what.... You buy a watch for YOU... Not what someone else thinks. I have the GMT and a Sub, and would not trade for something else.. I can have the worst day, look at my wrist, and its a bit better. AP, Patek, Oris, IWC, Omega, etc. dont do a thing for me. its a personal thing.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Here's mine. It's 8 years old but it still looks great and keeps good time.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Maybe there's some good info here for you:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=868937

I still haven't purchased one.

Seems like I can't find the perfect watch.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Watchmaker here. I like Omega better than Rolex, always have. If you are worried about scratches, buy a $9 Bergeon diamond impregnated rubber scratch block, or take it to your jeweler and have them buff the scratches out. It'll take about 5 minutes.

The big failing of Rolex watches is their autowind system. I have to cut out the oscillating weight axle on the rotor every time I do a service on one and press a new one in. No ball bearings. If you don't service your Rolex regularly and you let the axle wear out (Omega uses a ball-bearing system on their rotors, unlike Rolex with the axle and jewel) the rotor will scrape the mainplate and introduce even more metal particles intto your watch accelerating wear on other parts. I have never seen an ETA ball bearing rotor scraping a mainplate.

Also, Rolex parts are very expensive and hard to get if you aren't a Rolex dealer. Not only are the service requirements more time consuming on the Rolex, but the parts are more expensive. You can buy an Omega Planet Ocean that has a depth rating equal to a submariner, is also a certified chronometer, and has a coaxial escapement (the only real improvement to a mechanical escapement made in the last 100 years) has a helium escape valve that is only found on Rolex's Deepsea or Sea Dweller for about 1/3rd the cost of the Rolex Submariner. In my opinion, it's money better spent, and I like the looks of the Planet Ocean better too.

Obviously, Rolex's autowind system works, but it's outdated and should be improved. I love Omegas, but I do own two vintage Rolexes, so I'm not just a Rolex hater. Just telling it how it is.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The Omega forum at timezone.com has a favorite dealer in DC who offers a generous discount off retail.

Ive owned a Seamaster Professional and a 42mm Planet Ocean. I sold both of them years ago and dont miss them. I really like my Submariner however.

The steel is 930 Stainless. It may or may not scratch more than any other watch. But if your going to pay $2k+ for a Rolex or whatever you would think they could do better than put a stamped clasp on it.

Got my SP from the DC dealer with a huge discount.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Great info as always.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#33]
This is the watch I'm buying for myself when I complete my 20 years service with my current employer.

Seamaster Planet Ocean. 42mm with rubber band.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Watchmaker here. I like Omega better than Rolex, always have. If you are worried about scratches, buy a $9 Bergeon diamond impregnated rubber scratch block, or take it to your jeweler and have them buff the scratches out. It'll take about 5 minutes.

The big failing of Rolex watches is their autowind system. I have to cut out the oscillating weight axle on the rotor every time I do a service on one and press a new one in. No ball bearings. If you don't service your Rolex regularly and you let the axle wear out (Omega uses a ball-bearing system on their rotors, unlike Rolex with the axle and jewel) the rotor will scrape the mainplate and introduce even more metal particles intto your watch accelerating wear on other parts. I have never seen an ETA ball bearing rotor scraping a mainplate.

Also, Rolex parts are very expensive and hard to get if you aren't a Rolex dealer. Not only are the service requirements more time consuming on the Rolex, but the parts are more expensive. You can buy an Omega Planet Ocean that has a depth rating equal to a submariner, is also a certified chronometer, and has a coaxial escapement (the only real improvement to a mechanical escapement made in the last 100 years) has a helium escape valve that is only found on Rolex's Deepsea or Sea Dweller for about 1/3rd the cost of the Rolex Submariner. In my opinion, it's money better spent, and I like the looks of the Planet Ocean better too.

Obviously, Rolex's autowind system works, but it's outdated and should be improved. I love Omegas, but I do own two vintage Rolexes, so I'm not just a Rolex hater. Just telling it how it is.

Very good information.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm interested in this myself.  I'm finally finishing up a bachelor's degree next year after starting in the fall of '99.  On the occasion of getting my degree, I am going to buy myself a fine timepiece and Omega is at the top of my list.  I looked through the TimeZone forums and couldn't find the retailer everyone has mentioned here, could someone PM me the info?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I looked through the TimeZone forums and couldn't find the retailer everyone has mentioned here, could someone PM me the info?

Same here, please.

Still looking though...
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I looked through the TimeZone forums and couldn't find the retailer everyone has mentioned here, could someone PM me the info?

Same here, please.

Still looking though...

I'll just post it, not sacred info.  Speak with the owner, Jim Gianforte, none better to deal with period.

http://www.dcjewelers.com/

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:42:15 PM EDT
[#38]
I love my Seamaster Planet Ocean.

I tool a risk and got this:

Here's a more classic styling of the same:

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It's an ETA movement, which is actually considered a low end movement.

The highest quality movements for the money are the 8 and 9 series Seiko Movements (not sold in USA). For 3 to 4K you can get a movement that far exceeds Rolex in quality.

If money is no object and you want the best money can buy, get a Patek Phillippe Tourbillon, but your house will be cheaper than your watch.  Low six figures is a cheap PP Tourbillion.

Sorry, that's totally untrue. ETA makes movements for 95% of the swiss watch industry. They come in several finish grades, and most of the high-end manufacturers add their own modifications and decoration to them. The 7750 is found in 98+% of all swiss chronos sold today. From Omega to IWC. An in-house movement is nice, but cost-ineffective in most cases. You'll find ETA based movements in many (most) 10k+ watches, and ETA is very highly respected among watchmakers and collectors. When the swiss watch industry was almost destroyed in the 70's by quartz watches, the Swatch Group consolidated hundreds of smaller Swiss companies into the Swatch Group. They are the REALLY big boys in the watch industry. The biggest, even..

Seiko does have some new, high-end movements out that are every bit the equal to high-end swiss stuff, but they are not "the best". In fact "the best" movement is subjective and would start an argument among watchmakers unlike any mere 9mm vs. .45, Ak vs. AR argument you have ever seen here.

Manufacturers owned by the Swatch Group include  Rado,Tissot, Hamilton Omega, Longines, Breguet, Glashutte, Jaquet Droz. (Please note Breuget is part of the Swatch Group. Enough said.)
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:56:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I love my Seamaster Planet Ocean.

I tool a risk and got this:

Here's a more classic styling of the same:

The one on the bottom is what mine looks like. 42mm.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#41]
I've worn an original Omega Speedmaster Professional "Moon Watch" almost daily since 1971 and I like it more than I do my Rolex Datejust.

I'm on my second Omega bracelet since the original was destroyed in an industrial accident when it saved me from breaking my wrist back in 1976 and I have replaced the rather soft plastic "crystal" 3 times due to scratching.

I've had the watch cleaned and timed several times at Tourneau as well and after 38 years, it still looks NIB.

My Omega Speedmaster Professional Moon Watch set me back a whole $125 when I bought it in Spritzer and Furman on Aruba back in '71.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#42]
I wear a Rolex but I want a Panerai.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Had a Submariner for 10 years.  Got robbed in Madrid.  I was devastated.  Got it new for $3300.  Almost twice that now.  Not worth it to get another.

I've been looking at the Tag Aquaracer Cal 5 but I like the Omegas.  They've clearly been a standard for a long time while Tag is bumping up their line to try to capture some of the market Rolex priced out.

Anyone got a comparison between the Tag and Seamaster?

TC
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here, please.

Still looking though...

I'll just post it, not sacred info.  Speak with the owner, Jim Gianforte, none better to deal with period.

http://www.dcjewelers.com/

Confirmed. This is who I ordered mine from. Very good guy. Had the watch in a couple of days from opposite side of the continent. Got the info on watchuseek.com

His number is: (800) 853-5588 or (202) 833-3366
Speak only with Jim Gianforte.
Please don't post your discount or price on the internet nor share this information with other dealers.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

The steel is 930 Stainless. It may or may not scratch more than any other watch. But if your going to pay $2k+ for a Rolex or whatever you would think they could do better than put a stamped clasp on it.

Got my SP from the DC dealer with a huge discount.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/dugedug/IMGP0852.jpg

Actually, the Sub without a date is about $4k now.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Actually, the Sub without a date is about $4k now.  

Hence the $2k+
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Omega = good value, IMHO.  

I have a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date model.  It was a gift, got it in 1992.  I pay my jeweler about $300 to service it every 5 years.  I don't baby it, and it's still my daily wear watch 17 years later.  The only issue with Rolex is that they are damn expensive - a good watch but poor value IMHO.  I like my Rolex just fine but I don't think I'd buy one for myself.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Omega = whole lot of bang for the buck (buy grey market!)
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Commander,  I have a Seamaster from 1954 and am thinking about sending it to Omega to be restored.  Would you recommend this?

This watch was worn by my Dad since 1953 and it has been a great watch!

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have a pre moon-edition Speedmaster my dad gave me. He got it new in '71 IIRC.

Very nice watch, it's got some wear to it, but is still going strong.

+1 I have a '69 model handed down from my grandfather to my father to me. Goes back for routine service/overhaul every 5-10 years and comes back looking factory new, never a single hiccup since it was purchased.

The older Speedmaster's used a plastic face as opposed to glass which may scratch and fade slightly over time, (Nasa was nervous about what hundreds of glass shards floating around the Apollo LEM might do to Astronauts/Equipment). Its a non-issue however as Omega will replace the face to factory specs whenever you choose to send it in for overhaul, which is pretty much standard procedure for any fine watch that you will purchase.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top