Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/15/2008 6:37:05 PM EDT
I am thinking about buying a used Jeep Wrangler for daily driving.  How do they drive and it a cood commuter vehicle?  Also what kind of gas mileage can I expect to get out of it?
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#1]
What year, what type of suspension coils vs leafs(YJ TJ)

I had a 98 TJ with 6 cyl 5 speed. Was a good little runner, wish I had bought a hardtop though. I used to go skiing alot so cold weather it ran fine, never had an issue with cold starts. Are you going to wheel it or daily driver/ both? The wrangler is like the AR15 of the vehicle world. Thousands of upgrades  you will get J.E.E.P.S just empty every pocket syndrome.

www.4wd.com/
www.quadratec.com

Eta. I hate laptop touch pads btw

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#2]
You don't buy a Wrangler for gas mileage.

I used to commute two hours (each way) every day in my Wrangler. Not the most comfortable ride in the world, but not bad. Mine was a '98 TJ.

I miss my Wrangler.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Thinking about a 2003-2007 model.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd rather have no car than mopar
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#5]
expect no better than 20mpg.

As far as being a good commuter V, it depends on how far, the road conditions and if your SO likes wearing a jogging bra to ride along.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my '05 Rubicon. Horrible gas mileage, loud, slow.

Most of those bad things are because of my lift and big mud tires though.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Gas mileage with a 4.0L inline six and manual 5 speed: 17 mpg freeway,

Kick ass off road.  Can't carry much in it.

I've had one for several years and like it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Well heres a MPG figure for you, My '98 4cyl gets bout 17-18 mostly driving 10 miles to and from college and driving around town, but it gets bout 17-18 on the highway too, does better in the city then my cherokee but my cherokee kicks its ass on the highway getting 20-24 on only highway trips
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Sorry Subby
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Rust. Poor security. Horrible gas mileage. Low payload capacity.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#11]
07 4 door JK

Love it. Needs more power. 15MPG avg. Mostly highway with 3 people.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I forgot the most important thing about Wranglers NO DOORS IS KICK ASS
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Did you ever have a girlfriend who was fun to ride,  but unreliable?

after I lifted mine 3" and put 32"'s on it,  I got 13mpg.

with less than 60,000 miles,  it left me on the side of the road DEAD.

...twice

I dump unreliable guns too.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Rust. Not really any worse than any other newer vehicle Poor security. Get a hard top if security is a concern. Horrible gas mileage. I used to average about 18-19 on my commute. Not great, but not horrible. Of course, gas was under a buck when I was driving mine. Low payload capacity. You get that one.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Chicks dig 'em.

BUY or be gay.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a 2002 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L as a daily driver for 2 years. Know that this vehicle is made for off road use. Driving eveyday is not really a good idea if you have to commute far. I was using 4x the gas than I'm using in my current 4cyl vehicle. It only has 3 speeds if its an auto. On highways your revving at over 3000rpms and bumps are harsh. Can't take corners well. Great for winters or high floods.

If you can have the Wrangler and don't have to commute far for work or own a gas friendly 2nd vehicle its great. If you commute far and/or its your only vehicle than I would look at a car.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

This.  Unless you have to go offroad daily, I wouldnt.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#20]
height=8
Quoted:
img237.imageshack.us/img237/268/picture4324148890lk5.jpg
img71.imageshack.us/img71/978/picture4192404218iy9.jpg

Damn why cant i find trails like that around me all i got is a dirt road, stuck up in the flat northwest
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's the real deal:

You buy one because you want a Jeep. Period. End of story.

They're loud. You don't care.
They're easy to break in to. You don't give a shit.
They get about 18mpg freeway. You gladly open your wallet, and say "fuck it".
They ride worse than a Mac truck. You watch your woman's bewbies bounce, and call it a feature.
They're slow as hell. You leave early.
They're unreliable. You carry spare parts and tools. You really don't care.

I'm a Jeep owner (stuck rust bucket YJ in this thread belongs to me), and I'll tell you flat out that it's a temperamental rusted out hunk of shit that can't even cross a creek (bald tires, no locker, no lift, etc, etc) and the doors won't line up. And you know what? I love the thing to death.

It's pretty close to the shittiest vehicle I've ever owned, and it's one of my favorites. I can't explain why, and I'm strangely okay with this.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#22]
17MPG overall.

Twitchy compared to conventional cars, but manageable and even comforting once learned.

Can't haul a lot of junk, but you learn to stash things and maximize space for things you really need, and leave behind crap ya don't.

The Back seat is for the dog.

Peformance with the 4.0 is a bit sluggish compared to cars, but the power is down LOW where it belongs and can be used off road, and in the slop on the roads.

Towing is limited to small loads. It ain't a truck.

Comfort is where you find it in a Jeep.
Get used to it, then drive a regular sheepmobile... you'll hate cars.

Security?
Plenty!!!
You'll learn not to leave valuable shit in your vehicle, and leave it in the safe, or at home where it belongs.

The difference between window glass and Canvas, is the sound it makes when some douchebag is jacking your shit.

I'm on my 7th Jeep.
02' TJ.

67,000 miles, trouble free, and it gets used hard on the farm for Harvester recovery, skidding logs out where the truck or tractor wont fit, Transporting crew, jumpstarting tractors when stuck in the Mud, trailering out fruit when it's too sloppy for the Trucks.

As a daily driver, it does fine for short commutes and runs to the hardware.

On long trips, it's not bad, but then I am used to 3/4 and 1 Ton trucks.

In the winter, there is nothing better, just slow down.
It will get you there, when most others wont at any speed.

Try not to smirk when you jerk 4X4 Truck owners out of the ditch.
They hate that.

Stay safe!
S-28

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry Subby

Damn why cant i find trails like that around me all i got is a dirt road, stuck up in the flat northwest

I live in Fulton County. That was on Swingset's property down south in Licking county.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#24]
<3 my 2000 Wrangler

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Jeep Wranglers is all I have driven since I was 18, I'm 35 now. So my opinion is a little biased. As a everyday driver, there ok. Great in tight places. Gas milage,uh, not so good.

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#26]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

hy

I live in Fulton County. That was on Swingset's property down south in Licking county. Well damn ur not too far away then i live in Henry Co, having jeeps and guns and being in college will make you poor as hell real fast
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry Subby

I live in Fulton County. That was on Swingset's property down south in Licking county.

Well damn ur not too far away then i live in Henry Co

Sweet!

My brother in law lives just outside of Holgate.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a glass bodied CJ...
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I am thinking about buying a used Jeep Wrangler for daily driving.  How do they drive and it a cood commuter vehicle?  Also what kind of gas mileage can I expect to get out of it?

The gas mileage will be bad compared to other vehicles with similar sized engines.  They aren't known for their reliability, either.  They're great off-road, though.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Here's the real deal:

They ride worse than a Mac truck. You watch your woman's bewbies bounce, and call it a feature.

I'm a Jeep owner (stuck rust bucket YJ in this thread belongs to me), and I'll tell you flat out that it's a temperamental rusted out hunk of shit that can't even cross a creek (bald tires, no locker, no lift, etc, etc) and the doors won't line up. And you know what? I love the thing to death.

It's pretty close to the shittiest vehicle I've ever owned, and it's one of my favorites. I can't explain why, and I'm strangely okay with this.

+1 I am almost painfully in love with my TJ, yet I curse it almost every time I drive it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#30]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

The gas mileage will be bad compared to other vehicles with similar sized engines.  They aren't known for their reliability, either.  They're great off-road, though.

I tend to disagree with this statement, my 4.0 ran great even with a cracked head drove it for a year and half like that and all i had to do is poor some antifreeze every week. I swear having a jeep is a curse, oh and this is what JEEP stands for
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought my TJ new and drove it for over five years and not one thing ever broke on it. And it went off road a lot.

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I have an 07, had an 02 and a 93.

I like the older YJs; more interior room than the TJs. I felt freaking cramped in my TJ when I compared it to the YJ I foolishly sold.

TJs have better on-road manners than YJs.

Admittidly, that's like saying "getting stabbed in the arm is better than getting stabbed in the eye". Sure, it's more comfortable, but we're talking a minor degree here, and it's still deep on the shitty end of the spectrum if you were to compare on-road driving habits to, say, a Camry.

The 07 JKs are worlds past the TJs and YJs in interior space, noise, and handling. The jury's still out on engine reliablity between the two; the I6 was a fantastic powerplant if a bit aged. The motor in the JK has been around forever in the Dodge minivans, and it's pretty damn robust as well.

With the 4.0l I6, expect maybe 18 on the highway, depending on how you drive and what kind of gearbox you have. I couldn't tell you the mileage of the little 4 cylinder; every time I drove one, I gave up and walked instead. It was quicker. The JK motor gets about the same; I average almost exactily 20mpg on my 37 mile each way commute. I have the tow package; Dana 44 in rear with 4:10 gears. I'd get better mileage if I had 3.73 or smaller.

This will change drastically with lifts and bigger tires.

Don't worry about security; just don't put anything in the jeep you can't afford to lose. My JK has a soft top. The only thing I keep in the car is a mini-maglight and a pen. That's it. You can get locking drawers, gloveboxes, and center consoles for it if you want. But...it's just easier to carry your crap with you in a murse. Ever wanted to justify a Maxpedition Versipack? Here's your excuse. Don't forget your towel.

As others have said...if you're looking for a daily driver practical vehicle, a Wrangler pretty much is NOT it. It's smaller than most, it doesn't get the best mileage, the JK's acceleration curve can be measured with an hourglass, the ride is harsh compared to almost everything else made, and it's bloody noisy.

On the upshot, it's more manuverable than Gumby. If you get the soft top, it's a convertable. If you get the half doors, it's a super-convertable. If you take the doors off, it's just awesome.

I will promise you this:

IF you buy one and commute in it, and decide to sell it - you will miss the damn thing after a couple of weeks. That's why I'm on my 3rd one. I never should have sold the first.

If you have a choice, go with an 07 or up JK. It's a lot roomier on the inside, more comfortable to drive, and even with a soft top and half doors it's quieter than a TJ with hard top and full doors. They did a really good job on "domesticating" the interior of a Wrangler; no doubt due to them introducing a 4 door and aiming at the Hummer market. It doesn't accelerate as quick as an 06 or earlier TJ (the old I6 made it's power down low, at like 2k rpm; the new motor makes it up high, at like 5k), but you didn't buy a jeep to drag the strip, either. The ESP (stability program) works really well, but on at least 07 models, you can't permanently disable it without either a service stop, or surgery. While it's no big deal if it's always on, if you're like me and hate the thought of an electronic nanny...well, it can get annoying.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I'd rather have no car than mopar

Until 2007 they were still more AMC than Chrysler.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I get 21MPG averaged per tank in my '06 2.4L/6 speed on 31x10.50 Cooper STTs.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:38:55 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Here's the real deal:

This is dead-nuts on. They make a great second or fun vehicle. I found that my Cherokee was a good compromise between everyday utility and offroad capability...but no removeable top.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:29:49 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I have an 07, had an 02 and a 93.

I like the older YJs; more interior room than the TJs. I felt freaking cramped in my TJ when I compared it to the YJ I foolishly sold.

TJs have better on-road manners than YJs.

Admittidly, that's like saying "getting stabbed in the arm is better than getting stabbed in the eye". Sure, it's more comfortable, but we're talking a minor degree here, and it's still deep on the shitty end of the spectrum if you were to compare on-road driving habits to, say, a Camry.

The 07 JKs are worlds past the TJs and YJs in interior space, noise, and handling. The jury's still out on engine reliablity between the two; the I6 was a fantastic powerplant if a bit aged. The motor in the JK has been around forever in the Dodge minivans, and it's pretty damn robust as well.

With the 4.0l I6, expect maybe 18 on the highway, depending on how you drive and what kind of gearbox you have. I couldn't tell you the mileage of the little 4 cylinder; every time I drove one, I gave up and walked instead. It was quicker. The JK motor gets about the same; I average almost exactily 20mpg on my 37 mile each way commute. I have the tow package; Dana 44 in rear with 4:10 gears. I'd get better mileage if I had 3.73 or smaller.

This will change drastically with lifts and bigger tires.

Don't worry about security; just don't put anything in the jeep you can't afford to lose. My JK has a soft top. The only thing I keep in the car is a mini-maglight and a pen. That's it. You can get locking drawers, gloveboxes, and center consoles for it if you want. But...it's just easier to carry your crap with you in a murse. Ever wanted to justify a Maxpedition Versipack? Here's your excuse. Don't forget your towel.

As others have said...if you're looking for a daily driver practical vehicle, a Wrangler pretty much is NOT it. It's smaller than most, it doesn't get the best mileage, the JK's acceleration curve can be measured with an hourglass, the ride is harsh compared to almost everything else made, and it's bloody noisy.

On the upshot, it's more manuverable than Gumby. If you get the soft top, it's a convertable. If you get the half doors, it's a super-convertable. If you take the doors off, it's just awesome.

I will promise you this:

IF you buy one and commute in it, and decide to sell it - you will miss the damn thing after a couple of weeks. That's why I'm on my 3rd one. I never should have sold the first.

This.

'04 Rubicon owner here.

IMO, you should stick to the TJ series if only for the coilover suspension (a bit better in the ride department).  Personally I don't think the new jeeps are jeeps(V6s and too refined), but folks with CJs said the same thing about the YJ and so on and so forth.

Once you own one, you may decide to sell it down the road...but you'll regret it and end up buying another.  Addictive isn't a strong enough adjective.

Here's something neat.  I was chastised by the SO when I bought it because it's "impractical" and because I "have enough toys".---She's just as attached to it if not moreso than I am now.  Women love jeeps.

ETA:  My Jeep is my play vehicle.  It is paid off and it gets driven on the weekends.  I drove it as a daily driver for 2 years and it worked fine.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:34:59 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Add poor accelleration, horrific braking, expensive tires.  Dangerous in an accident.  Terrible at towing anything.  Wind/road/tire noise beyond belief.  Side winds blow you around.  Death wobble when you mess with the suspection and tires.  You get rained on.  Cold in the winter, and hot in the summer.

Oh.... and the most kick ass fun vehicle I have ever owned, and I will own another one in the future.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:39:40 AM EDT
[#39]
You might even like them so much you make them your internet handle...
('46 CJ2A owner)
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:52:34 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Add poor accelleration, horrific braking, expensive tires.  Dangerous in an accident.  Terrible at towing anything.  Wind/road/tire noise beyond belief.  Side winds blow you around.  Death wobble when you mess with the suspection and tires.  You get rained on.  Cold in the winter, and hot in the summer.

Oh.... and the most kick ass fun vehicle I have ever owned, and I will own another one in the future.

com'on man, the braking isn't that bad
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:55:59 AM EDT
[#41]
It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand...

Here's the real deal:

I understand...got a "95 YJ...

LOVE it! (well...not more than God, certainly, or the wife, kids, dog etc., but for an inamate object it rates with my AR10 on the love meter...
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:57:33 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Jeep Wranglers is all I have driven since I was 18, I'm 35 now. So my opinion is a little biased. As a everyday driver, there ok. Great in tight places. Gas milage,uh, not so good.

i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn33/danceswithglock/DSCI0928.jpg

Your bolt faces are in the same spot as mine.

MPG expect 15mpg.

06 SWB white manual rubicon here, modded out slightly: I get 14 mpg
-4" SL rockrunner w/belsteins
-1" body lift with teraflex high clearance skidpans (adds 2.5 inches under belly)
- Tom Woods rear DS with the normal TJ Ujoint (easier and cheaper to fix)
- Black diamondbrite half doors, soft top with glass front windows
- no carpet, or center console or rear seat
- waterproof seat covers
- flowmaster 40, K&N intake
- 35" MTRS on black steel wheels
-Warn bumpers/engine/diff/steering covers and 9.5XP winch
-Hi-lift jack

My only regret is not getting the longer jeep. It can turn around in some tight spots though. I am not sure how the longer one is with turning radius.

They are not road friendly at all.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
My only regret is not getting the longer jeep. It can turn around in some tight spots though. I am not sure how the longer one is with turning radius.

They are not road friendly at all.

I have a 2006 TJ Unlimited.  I absolutely love it and have no plans to ever sell it.  The turning radius is still very tight.  The added benefit (beside the space) is the ride is entirely different.  With the LWB, BOF and Coil Spring suspension it actually rides something like one of those old BOF GM Full Size Cars - mushy and floaty but stable, not twitchy like the SWB Jeep.  I can actually ride over bumps in curves without it becoming a white-knuckle experience.

Also the low payload doesn't really apply to the Unlimited.  It has an extra crossmember in the frame, so it's really like a Jeep Body mounted on a Short Bed Pick Up Frame.  I moved my guns and ammo down to my sister's house in TX earlier this year, weighed my rig there and back, 4980 lbs there, 3820 back, so I had over a half ton loaded.  Was riding low in the ass-end (but not on the stops).

I love that vehicle.  I wish I could post a pick from down here.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 3:32:26 PM EDT
[#44]
98 stock TJ inline 6.
18 to 24 mpg. 24 going 55 mph. 3:73 rear (stock) Dana 35c.

Soft top hard doors.

Exhaust manifold changed every 30 to 37 thousand miles.

Dumped when the manifold cracked for the 3rd time.

replaced raditor at 50,000.

Sucks for 2 hours drives being 6'-5 260".

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm actually just getting my driver's license (long story short-family member I stayed with/worked for said no driving,they're gone now) so I get the "you drive-now" thing from the rest of the family.

My choice of vehicle,above all else? a Jeep!! always wanted one and now I'm getting one I don't give a fuck how it handles I live in the boonies so the roads are shitty anyway.......hell ALL the roads in WV seem to be made for Jeeps!
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Here's the real deal:

+1

95 YJ owner here. It's my daily driver. To increase storage space, I took the back seat out and put in one of the Bestop trunk boxes. It's not like you could comfortably fit a normal-sized human being back there - let alone two...no idea why the seatbelts were back there.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#47]
jeeps are like ar15's you never have enough money to fix

them up how you want but you just gotta have one
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#48]
My dad bought a 95 4banger jeep. He totalled it when I was 10. We repaired it and repainted it. The original engine and drive train was fine. He gave it to me when I turned 16. I saved up all my money to lift it 4'' with a skyjacker lift and 33'' Tires. There have been some other modifications to it. However, IF YOU WANT TO LIFT IT BE PREPARED TO REGEAR THE AXLES. I used to drive in 4 gear with my foot on the floor to get it to go 60. Got like 14 miles to the gallon(had to do some math because the speedo was off so it's an estimate). A few years ago I putt in some 4.88 ratio gears. Now I get about 18 mpg going between 55 and 60 with mostly highway driving. The only trouble I have had with it was a bad O2 sensor and my AX5 trany died, but that was due to some pretty hard wheelin. Other then that I Love my Jeep. My dad died last summer So it was really the only big thing he had ever given me. Im 21 now and plan to keep the dam Thing long enough for the government to tell me I can't drive a gasoline powered jeep anymore. Once you buy one you will love it. The only thing I wish was different was AC in the hot summer days.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:06:06 PM EDT
[#49]
I really want a 2006 HT I have seen locally.  If I could only sell this old boring Harley Davidson (2006 Street Bob for cheap)...
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#50]
If you buy that Jeep, don't just use it for daily driving. Take it out, have fun, that's what they're made for.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top