Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2010 5:47:48 PM EDT
I'm taking the wife and three daughters the week before Christmas.

We are staying with a friend who has a home halfway between Gunnison and Crested Butte.

I'm from southeast Texas. I can't ski to save my life, nor can my wife and kids.

We planning on having a blast, and I'm sure our hosts will have some things planned for us.

I'm thinking snow tubing, ice skating, sleigh ride...etc.

We are staying four full days.

Should we consider taking ski lessons? Not sure of the time of the learning curve...

Any other ideas for a family from Texas to do ??

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful place.  Went there several times with my family when I was a kid.  

Had a close friend of the family die in an Avalanche there....
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#2]
It is cold.

Fo somewhere else.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It is cold.

Fo somewhere else.

I asked my friend/host if I needed to bring a "windbreaker" .... he got a kick out of that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Skiing technology has changed dramatically, it is soooo much easier to ski now, especially for novices.

So has teaching techniques, give it a try, if you are in any shape it's a lot of fun.

Take a camera, crusted butt is BEAUTIFUL country.

Link Posted: 9/19/2010 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#5]
just so you know, crested butte is largely an expert mountain - there are some "greens" but only a few - check the trailmap before you go..  other than that, a fan of the rockies myself, it should be a good time - take sunscreen!  
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Not a lot of beginner terrain at CB, but you don't need that much if you are only skiing a day or two. You can get up and ski a lot with 2-3 days of lessons. CB isn't normally where I'd tell new beginners to go in CO (Keystone or Copper), but you can certainly learn there.

CB  and the Taylor river valley are chilly by CO standards... but not as bad as Gunnison just down the way (at the confluence of several valleys). Gunnison, along with Kremmling and Tabernash are the coldest towns in the state.

Quoted:
Had a close friend of the family die in an Avalanche there....

Link Posted: 9/19/2010 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#7]
went there my first time skiing and loved it. the weather was great! take some lessons and you'll be fine.

and pack the ben gay .......... you'll need it!
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 6:48:56 AM EDT
[#8]

When it's 20 below in Gunnison....it's only 5 below up valley. . That hwy is narrow and icy in the winter...check you vehicle out before you come . Forest Queen in CB for breakfast. Almont Lodge half way down valley for cocktails and food after.  Pack a "winter bag" with stuff for the car.
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 7:08:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Not sure if they have lots of snowmobile rentals in that area, but if they do go rent yourself one.   Make sure to get one of the super powder sleds and not the touring model, you'll know which one to get when you see them.

Have fun, and  you will want to take lessons if you plan on trying to ski or ride.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Take ski lessons - if your kids have any natural athetlic ability they will kick your ass  Have wife take video of you and post it here...........

Brian
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#11]
What others have said about the mountain.   Also, snow coverage around Christmas can be iffy there... the green trails will probably be OK, though.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

When it's 20 below in Gunnison....it's only 5 below up valley. . That hwy is narrow and icy in the winter...check you vehicle out before you come . Forest Queen in CB for breakfast. Almont Lodge half way down valley for cocktails and food after.  Pack a "winter bag" with stuff for the car.

Good advice, I miss the "warm" Gunnison winters.
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I was there this summer...great burger place in Almont (20min down the road)
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Crusty Butt is a cool place
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Lived and worked in the Butte for 15 years.  All of the above is pretty accurate.  There should be several snowmobile tour companies in the area...and horse drawn sleigh rides through town if there's been enough snow.  Lots of miles of cross country skiing, too. Probably still a balloon ride outfit around, as well.

Enjoy my favorite town in Colorado.
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#16]
when we were there they took our group up the mountain one night for dinner at some lodge they had. the dinner was good but after that they took us out on the deck and you could see billions of stars. watching the satellites fly by was pretty cool as well.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Got a text message from the friend we are staying with outside of Crested Butte.

Said the mountain is getting LOTS of snow due to the big storm moving through..

Checked the Crested Butte web cams and it looks beautiful.

Right now outside Houston where I am, it's a blustery 89 degrees...

The kiddos are getting excited about this trip.

We hit the resale shops and got a butt load of winter clothes/bibs, scarfs, etc for very little money.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:24:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Skied Crested Butte and had lots of fun. You had better be a better than average skier to have a good time. Buses run on time, so no need for renting a car (a plus). Friendly locals, fun bars and restaurants, so long as you don't have to have 'fancy.' Overall, a pleasant experience, but not Breckenridge. (Thank GOD!)
Top Top