Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 5:44:03 PM EDT
The good, the bad, all of it.

Tell me about VA in general too please.

sidenote:  I see that the Brady Campaign gives it a C-minus so it must be ok gun-wise (although FL gets a D-plus )

thanks,
dan
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:54:36 PM EDT
[#1]
While skiing last weekend, I overheard one of my friends talking about Charlottesville saying it was rated #1 as a place to live.   Not sure what the paramaters were...

Ask in the Va hometown forums.  We have a few guys who live there.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
While skiing last weekend, I overheard one of my friends talking about Charlottesville saying it was rated #1 as a place to live.   Not sure what the paramaters were...

Ask in the Va hometown forums.  We have a few guys who live there.

Already there
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been here about four years.  Small city, 50-60k population depending on whether or not school's in session.  There's a nice downtown area, lots of good restaurants, good nightlife, music.  Traffic's negligible.  Lots of good hiking, camping, hiking and fishing in the area.  Rents are cheap in the city.  Real estate is a little more expensive.  If I were going to buy here I'd get a place 20 minutes or half an hour out of town where it's still pretty rural and land is cheaper, Buckingham or Louisa county or maybe south near Scottsville.  Good gun club, Rivanna Rifle and Pistol.  

The downside of C-ville is that it's a university town.  That means lots of liberal fools and college children.  Charlottesville is definitely a Democrat bastion in a very conservative area.  Of course, the upside of it being a college town is the vast number of hot, scantily-clad 20 year old girls walking around.

Anything else you want to know?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Supposed to be an awesome area/place.  I applied for a few jobs in that area that didn't pan out.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

<snip>

Thinking about law school at UVA, thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

I know a bunch of people who went to UVA Law.  They seemed to enjoy it.  I've got a buddy who's a member on here, altho he hasn't posted in some time.  I'll shoot him a link to this thread.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

I know a bunch of people who went to UVA Law.  They seemed to enjoy it.  I've got a buddy who's a member on here, altho he hasn't posted in some time.  I'll shoot him a link to this thread.  

thanks

a more specific question - Who took the LSAT?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#8]
One of the nicest places on earth.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The good, the bad, all of it.

Tell me about VA in general too please.

sidenote:  I see that the Brady Campaign gives it a C-minus so it must be ok gun-wise (although FL gets a D-plus )

thanks,
dan

Charlottesville is just down the road a piece. Nice place, but very expensive to live there. UVA is literally everywhere, as the campus has spread all over the city. Fairly cultured and urbane place despite being in the hills of Virginia.

Virginia overall is a great state. Some areas suck (Northern Virginia, Norfolk) and other areas are wonderful.

It is hardly a secure red state. Lots of libbie idiots live here, they just haven't prevailed at the box office for a while.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:02:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I grew up in c'ville.  It's a wonderful place.  I moved away 6 years ago or so, but my family still lives there and I still own a house there. All of the stated info above is true.  College town, scantily clad 20-somethings. UVA is a great place to ride around (I used to ride bikes there all the time) Lots of history, beautiful campus and buildings. A friend of mine graduated from UVA law.  She liked it well enough and got hooked up with a job right out of school. The restaurants there are incredible.  Around here (tidewater area, virginia beach, etc.) all the restaurants are chains (Chili's, olive garden, etc.) In c'ville the majority are independent. A TON of variety and all are good.
Oh, and more tennis courts per capita that anywhere else in VA.  There is also a private shooting club nearby (www.rrpc.org/)

It's ~2 hours from NoVA (DC area), ~2 hours from tidewater, ~1 hour from richmond, ~1 hour from ski slopes (massanutten) ~30 minutes from Skyline Drive (part of the AT)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top