Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/25/2017 7:56:30 PM EDT
I'm considering a relocation to Atlanta.  Specifically to work out of the airport (KATL).  How's life near there.  I've only flown in and out of the airport and spent a little time at Ft Gordon and Benning three decades ago.  I'd think living to the south to southwest might be the way to go.  What are the nice areas, and the bad?   Newnan - Peachtree ? Where do you guys shoot?  Traffic, crime, taxes, and all of the usual stuff..

I presume the gun laws are similar to Utah.

I'd like to live on at least a couple acres or more.  That's nearly impossible in Utah without getting several hours away from the airport I work out of now or spending well over a million.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm down in the Columbus area, but for a couple acres you're definitely looking at outside the metro Atlanta area.  I've looked at some house prices and Newnan isn't too bad, but it was all smaller lots that I saw. Gun ownership it's whatever you want, the most you have to watch for are the few places you can't carry a weapon, all a business can do is ask you to leave if they don't want firearms there.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#2]
OST; I've been thinking about moving to Georgia.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Peachtree City is great if you have kids. Otherwise it sucks. I grew up in PTC.

Tyrone/Newnan/Senoia/Sharpsburg are all not bad. It’s where the people live who can’t afford or don’t want to afford Peachtree City.

S/SW of the airport, most anything in Fayette or Coweta county will be fine. Clayton county would suck. Henry county might be worthwhile...

My family still lives in PTC, but I haven’t lived there since 1999. I left the Atlanta area in late 2003.

You want to heavily consider where you work when determining where you live, otherwise you’ll really be living in your car [in traffic].

You should reference city-data.com or whatever that website is.

You will need $$ to get a couple acres or more in Fayette or Coweta. You might have to go further out to get land at tolerable prices. That will = longer commute.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#4]
If I had to go back to the Atlanta area, I would definitely prefer west Fayette County (Peachtree City) or Coweta County.  A lot of Delta Airlines folks seem to live in the Peachtree City area.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:17:26 PM EDT
[#5]
It has Extorris in it.

That's about all I really know about it.

And plus they say "pellow" instead of "pillow," and "melk" instead of "milk."

So there's that.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#6]
They're probably gonna get beat by Auburn again.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Had to work a convention at The World Conference Center or whatever that place is called,  After a week at the Double Tree downtown
I hope the hell I never have to go back.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I love it here.  4 hours to the beach, little over an hour to the mountains....
Lots of small towns...but you can be in Atlanta in just a little while.
What are you looking for OP?  Rich and vibrant culture and nightlife or small town USA....both are within range of the Hartsfield airport.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Had to work a convention at The World Conference Center or whatever that place is called,  After a week at the Double Tree downtown
I hope the hell I never have to go back.  https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif
View Quote
That's Atlanta.....there is more to Georgia than that shithole of a city
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want to get out of the metro area and don't mind a little longer commute. Check out Butts, Lamar,
Pike, Troup or Meriwether counties.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It has Extorris in it.

That's about all I really know about it.

And plus they say "pellow" instead of "pillow," and "melk" instead of "milk."

So there's that.
View Quote
It's "piller".....say it right you Yankee
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What are you looking for OP?  Rich and vibrant culture and nightlife or small town USA....both are within range of the Hartsfield airport.
View Quote
I think I'd prefer small town rural.  I'm in my 50s and don't need the nightlife anymore.

I'd probably be driving into the airport several times a week at all different hours.  30-45 minutes would be about my limit unless I found my dream property.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Africa Hot, rainforest humid. Ft. Benning in August is my reference.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:40:22 PM EDT
[#14]
It would take a hell of a large paycheck to convince me to live around and commute into Atlanta. Everybody drives like an asshole and traffic is just miserable during rush hour.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I live an hour and a half from the airport.  There is a shitload of flight crew that live here.  They take a shuttle from the local Waffle House (no shit) to the airport, the damn thing runs like 19 times a day.  
Good schools...low crime....nice homes....families.
If you need the vibrant culture of Atlanta it isn't far away but it is far enough away to generally prevent your shit from being stolen.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:44:03 PM EDT
[#16]
It's projected to be a majority-minority state by 2030 so we got that going for us.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I live an hour and a half from the airport.  There is a shitload of flight crew that live here.  They take a shuttle from the local Waffle House (no shit) to the airport, the damn thing runs like 19 times a day.  
Good schools...low crime....nice homes....families.
If you need the vibrant culture of Atlanta it isn't far away but it is far enough away to generally prevent your shit from being stolen.
View Quote
If you don't mind saying, what city/county is that?
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:45:55 PM EDT
[#18]
He is right.  Summers are fucking hot and humid.  Winters are mild, spring and fall are real seasons and are nice.
I am 59 and I love it here.  Gulf coast in 7 hours, Atlantic coast in 4 or 5 depending where you  like to go.

Mountains are closer than the ocean.
Gun laws very similar to Utah, you can carry your shit almost anywhere with a Weapons Carry License.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Atlanta is a shithole
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#20]
My daughter and her family moved to an area about 45 minutes NE of Atlanta last May. They love it. Definitely getting more diverse. BIL has been there over 20 years west of Atlanta, (almost in Bama) and loves it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#21]
OP check your in box
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think I'd prefer small town rural.  I'm in my 50s and don't need the nightlife anymore.

I'd probably be driving into the airport several times a week at all different hours.  30-45 minutes would be about my limit unless I found my dream property.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

South side is a good choice then. Tyrone and the North side of Peachtree City are an easy and quick commute to the airport.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#23]
What does this tell you?

Attachment Attached File

Hotel in Atlanta
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:55:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I am near Jackson Lake on the Jasper County side and it is a 1 hour ride if I leave at 6:30 am. Smallest tract of property on my road is 4 acres.

If I worked at the airport, I would look at Henry County east of I-75 and north of GA 20. East Lake Rd area towards GA 20 and then out GA 20 to no further than than GA 212.  Bonus being the South River Gun Club is in the area.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's Atlanta.....there is more to Georgia than that shithole of a city
View Quote
Yep, Atlanta (city limits,) is like any other city with the same pitfalls and advantages. As for where to look, Peachtree City is probably the first placemsince the OP wants to look and be close to his job in/around the airport. Traffic in this metro area is beyond horrible so you really need to factor that in and plan to stay out of it much as possible.

UT is a great state but if you’re not a) A Morman and b) Not in love of the cooler climate I can see it’s lack of appeal.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#27]
That tells you that there is at least one moron in Atlanta - pretty much most other large rich and vibrant cities.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
No kidding...Coming from a North Carolinian as well.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#29]
OP

I sent you a email.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you want to get out of the metro area and don't mind a little longer commute. Check out Butts, Lamar,
View Quote
No love for Spalding county??? Born and raised in GA. One of these days I'll be back there. Wonderful state OP.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I am near Jackson Lake on the Jasper County side and it is a 1 hour ride if I leave at 6:30 am. Smallest tract of property on my road is 4 acres.

If I worked at the airport, I would look at Henry County east of I-75 and north of GA 20. East Lake Rd area towards GA 20 and then out GA 20 to no further than than GA 212.  Bonus being the South River Gun Club is in the area.
View Quote
8 acres and a pool.
I think this is the area

Needs a little updating..  26 miles to the airport.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#32]
We're full!
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:10:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OP

I sent you a email.
View Quote
Got it.  Thanks
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:12:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

8 acres and a pool.
I think this is the area

View Quote
That's Henry County...close to the airport for sure.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
spring and fall are real seasons and are nice.
View Quote
Yes, the yellow pollen springs are very nice!

Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:15:04 PM EDT
[#36]
A little beyond what I'd want to spend.

11 acres.

That would be $1.5 to 2 million in northern Utah.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#37]
True dat.....that shit gets everywhere....my dogs even turn yellow
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

8 acres and a pool.
I think this is the area

View Quote
OP gonna be serious with you now.

Anything near the airport is bad like really bad.

Henry, Clayton, Fayette, Dekalb, Douglas, and Fulton counties (except the Buckhead and north Fulton areas of Fulton county are bad, Buckhead is the super rich part of Fulton county) are bad.

If I had to work at the airport I would be looking at south Coweta, Heard, Carroll, Paulding, and west Cobb counties. It will be less crime ridden, and cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#39]
This would be cool as well.

Some old place

Just need some winning lotto tickets
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:20:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Utah has lots of rocks to shoot.  Georgia has very few if you can even find them....

Lived and worked in Georgia all my life.  Got transferred to Utah for a year in 2013.  Other than the cold ass winters, I'd take Utah over Georgia any day.  But I stay here because of family obligations, work, etc.....

Actually, I wouldnt mind having a place in both states.  Stay in Georgia during the winters and Utah during the summers.....in other words.....get both
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:27:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Utah has lots of rocks to shoot.  Georgia has very few if you can even find them....

Lived and worked in Georgia all my life.  Got transferred to Utah for a year in 2013.  Other than the cold ass winters, I'd take Utah over Georgia any day.  But I stay here because of family obligations, work, etc.....

Actually, I wouldnt mind having a place in both states.  Stay in Georgia during the winters and Utah during the summers.....in other words.....get both
View Quote
The entire state is devoid of any and all rocks......except of course Stone Mountain.....

We just have to shoot normal shit, like cans.....
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Off rush hours times it isn't bad, and the rush hours on the south side isn't nearly as bad as the north side. Let me tell you how it is. I285 is the ring road that goes around Atlanta it averages about 6 lanes each diredtionl so overlay a clock on top of it. From 10 o'clock on the clock to about 2 o'clock on the clock is grid iron from 5am to 10am in the mornings and 3pm to 7pm in the afternoons. From 3 o'clock on the clock to 9 o'clock on the clock rush hour is about 7am until about 8:30am in the mornings and 4:30pm to 6pm in the afternoons, reason is that most of the people living from 3 on the clock to 9 on the clock don't work it's the ghetto areas.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:29:41 PM EDT
[#43]
If you want a couple acres, you're going to have to get the F out of the metro.  I live out in Walton county, but that's probably not the direction you want to be going if you're working at the airport.  Maybe look into Griffin or something else further south of the airport.  If you are within 20 miles of the city, you had better be in Decatur/Avondale or just accept hood life.  You're looking at a good 45 minute commute if you want land and neighbors who aren't ghetto.

Other than the filth that is Metro Atl, Georgia is great.  Gun laws great.  Hunting great.  People are great.  Just need to get the F away from the city if you want to live there.  My commute is 1hr w/o traffic.  It's worth it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Stay out of the metro area.............
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:31:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
He is right.  Summers are fucking hot and humid.  Winters are mild, spring and fall are real seasons and are nice.
I am 59 and I love it here.  Gulf coast in 7 hours, Atlantic coast in 4 or 5 depending where you  like to go.

Mountains are closer than the ocean.
Gun laws very similar to Utah, you can carry your shit almost anywhere with a Weapons Carry License.
View Quote
Yup can carry pretty much anywhere besides in a school, court house, and past the TSA at the airport. You can carry in bars, anywhere in the airport until the TSA, everywhere.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't seen that in the Democratic stronghold of Charlotte.

Have you?
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
No love for Spalding county??? Born and raised in GA. One of these days I'll be back there. Wonderful state OP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Griffin/Spalding has gone full retard with taxes,zoning and ordinances etc..
If OP wants country, he needs to get a little farther out than Fayette,Henry and Spalding counties.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:39:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Ohhh.... That Georgia..... It is Hot, Humid, and sticky....
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:40:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Well the wife and I are going to have to fly out in the spring and start looking around.  A move wouldn't happen until summer at the earliest.

We've been in Utah nearly 2 decades, but we're not really attached to it.  Not being Mormon plays a little into that.   I really want to get out of the suburbs.  At least the suburbs where the biggest lot is .25 acre.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#50]
You won't have any trouble finding something that works for you.  You will see pretty quick that there are a lot of choices.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top