Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2002 1:27:44 PM EDT
So, I join the unemployed thousands this afternoon. Anyone know of anything open in the Chicago or northern Illinois area? Will be updating my resume shortly, I think I've got a pretty good chance at beating out some high school kids in the grocery store job market...
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear it. I can sympathize, believe me.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that from MCI Worldcom?
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn, what took you so long?
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 2:01:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is that from MCI Worldcom?
View Quote

Yes ma'am. Wcom.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#5]
My brother was let go from Verizon last year. I think he's given up on the telecom industry altogether.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Damn, what took you so long?
View Quote

I agree.  You lasted a long time - I remember hearing about Nortel laying off thousands from Feb 2001.  I got laid off July later that year.  I worked for a company that did contract work for Nortel.  I worked for WCom before that, Richardson TX location.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 2:49:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Telecom, unfortunately, is dead. I was downsized last August by a startup into the "last mile" fiberop biz. Good product but noone is buying. Been doing freelance design (pcbs) since and even that is on and off. Good luck with your new endeavors.

Stepped-init
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Laid off from WCG as a Sales Engineer.  Last mile and Colo. SME.
What is your background?

I'm working for a wireless tank monitoring company. Telemetry.   Pay is a lot less.  Small company pains etc.  But I have a job. Hence I can buy ammo.

Generation U (nemployed)
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been really lucky! I "got myself laid off" from MCI just before the WC buyout. They were going to lay off another guy, but I volunteered to take the rif for him (knowing I already had another job lined up). I took my severence package and ran straight to AT&T. I'm still there, though I just made it through a layoff back in January. Right now things look OK, business is slowly picking back up. Only problem is, since the last layoff, I lost most of my guys so I have to do a lot of the work they used to do. It makes me feel guilty knowing that there was work for them, but the decisions were not made by me, so what can I do?
I'm just gonna hang on and try to ride out the soft market times.....
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 3:07:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry to hear that, big business sucks. I have been with IBM for almost 25 years, When watson was around they had something called respect for the individual and full employment. That went out with core memory. Now its do what ever it takes to post a profit next quarter, so they layoff, improves the bottom line but does not fix the problems, band aid economics. the workers get screwed and the ceos get richer.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#11]
What did you do at Worldcom?  My company (CenturyTel) is still hiring for certain positions.  If you let me know what your expertise is in, I can look into job openings for you.

By the way, contrary to popular opinion, telecom is NOT dead.  Severly crippled, but not dead.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#12]
CenturyTel?
Have you got some of the NW Arkansas Mkt?  
CLEC or IXC?
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Would anyone like to start a WCOM death pool?  

I'm taking August 14th.  [}:)]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#14]
WorldCom Death Pool? NOT.
WorldCom Is UUNET.
UUNET is the internet.
It will never happen.
Yes, times are tough.
Yes the Telecom stocks are Weak.
But If WorldCom Goes Belly up, so does the Internet- they carry 70%+ of World Internet Traffic!
The Feds would Bail it out before OPs would Cease.
Here is a scenario of WorldCom Collapse: Internet Ceases to Operate, World Commerce Ceases, World Markets Collapse, International Depression spawns International Aggressions, WWIII erupts, followed by Armedgeddon.

Dramatic? Yep. But not a joke.

No way the Feds will allow WorldCom to collapse.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I do in-building radio coverage systems for the big wireless guys, ATTWS, Nextel, Sprint, etc.

This is the best year I've ever had.  Sure, they're all looking for a bargain, but they ain't dead yet.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#16]
UUNet is not the Internet.  They are the goliath of the backbone providers and the majority of ISP's out there have at least one of their connections.  I say Bernie did a fine job of acquiring companies but never did anything about integrating them.   So I say WorldComm will file for bancruptcy protection within 600 days. One of the big RBOCs will come in and buy up the parts and pieces for pennies on the dollar.  SBC would be a good choice for the UUnet backbone and the LD traffic.
US WORST and Qwest = Qwest
Cincinnati Bell and IXC = Broadwing
AT&T Might suprise us.  
I know I worked on some deals with European Carriers to acquire big chunks of US fiber. I don't think the regulators will let them buy WCOMM out.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I say WorldComm will file for bancruptcy protection within 600 days. One of the big RBOCs will come in and buy up the parts and pieces for pennies on the dollar.  SBC would be a good choice for the UUnet backbone and the LD traffic.
US WORST and Qwest = Qwest
Cincinnati Bell and IXC = Broadwing
AT&T Might suprise us.  
I know I worked on some deals with European Carriers to acquire big chunks of US fiber. I don't think the regulators will let them buy WCOMM out.
View Quote

Why would the regulators step in now??  They let foreign companies swallow-up a majority of US telecom hardware manufacturers in the 1990's.  And those US manufacturers are being gutted and shut-down at an alarming rate.  New product design is at a standstill at most US manufacturers although there is still life in wireless hardware.  The plethora of startup optical router companies are running out of capital and the new metro optics are headed the same way.  I've been around since the days of the RadioPhone ruling and I've never seen so many major players with so few new designs on the boards.  Design work is being farmed back to France or wherever and US engineering strength is being destroyed.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#18]
And to think Juniper Networks was once considered the future Cisco killer.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:19:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I think I heard something on the news that Adelphia is expected to file for bankruptcy on monday.

Patriots here we come!
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I was doing testing and turnup on LD transmission equipment, mostly Nortel OC-48, 192's, and MOR/MOR+'s, with a hint of Fuji and a dash of Siemens. Before I got axed, I was just starting to get into BBDXC's(Titan 5500) and learning about how the switches(DMS 250) work.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 6:08:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
learning about how the switches(DMS 250) work.
View Quote
You never stop learning how those things work.  It is an ongoing process, especially as they evolve from the NT40 front end, to SuperNode, to XA Core.  Switching is a lot more complicated than optical or transmission.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, the switch techs are a real secretive bunch, but that's job security. It was neat though, since I never got to work on that equipment. Oh well...
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#23]
The Nortel switches (DMS 100, 250, 500) are the most complicated, and the most versatile. I have also worked on a DEX 600E Megahub which was a lot easier to learn. Larry's right - the Nortel switches are so complex that it's nearly impossible to know everything!
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#24]
NuVox is a nortel shop.  You might check them out.

The feds won't let a foriegn company own our domestic comm infrastructure for the pure simple reason of national security.

However you can argue that many of the Engineers that I used to work with were from countries that would like to see your momma and you die.  The were here on work VISA's So the already know what's going on.  

After Sept. 11th I worked on an OC-3 network for the DOD.  I had all of the origination and termination end points on my desk.  It made me kind of nervous since they had physical addresses and not just  end offices.  Many of our good friends from the middle east with said VISA's were hanging around.  

Telecomm trivia 2001 Weston, 1 Wilshire, 60 Hudson 111 8th ave.,  400 akard.
What do these buildings have in common?
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#25]
They're all in NYC?
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Akard Street in Dallas is one of the five biggest switches in ths US??  Heard there are four or five of them that handle all long line traffic but that's a guess.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 2:41:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know 1 Wilshire and 60 Hudson are telecom condos because I worked in both of them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I work for Lucent. I've managed to survive the waves of lay-offs, but it looks like the next one is going to hit me in the next few weeks.

I will join the ranks of the unemployed.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Laid off from WCG as a Sales Engineer.  Last mile and Colo. SME.
What is your background?

I'm working for a wireless tank monitoring company. Telemetry.   Pay is a lot less.  Small company pains etc.  But I have a job. Hence I can buy ammo.

Generation U (nemployed)
View Quote

Sales Engineer, now that's an oxymoron. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 2:59:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I know 1 Wilshire and 60 Hudson are telecom condos because I worked in both of them.
View Quote
I worked in 60 Hudson also a few years ago.  Customer was Broadwing, I think, can't remember for sure.

Those, and many more such as 70 Courtland in Atlanta, should really be on guard, especially with 4 July coming up.  Can you imagine the chaos if some of those get taken out.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:03:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
WorldCom Death Pool? NOT.
WorldCom Is UUNET.
UUNET is the internet.
It will never happen.
Yes, times are tough.
Yes the Telecom stocks are Weak.
But If WorldCom Goes Belly up, so does the Internet- they carry 70%+ of World Internet Traffic!
The Feds would Bail it out before OPs would Cease.
Here is a scenario of WorldCom Collapse: Internet Ceases to Operate, World Commerce Ceases, World Markets Collapse, International Depression spawns International Aggressions, WWIII erupts, followed by Armedgeddon.

Dramatic? Yep. But not a joke.

No way the Feds will allow WorldCom to collapse.
View Quote

Certainly, a WorldCom collapse would be messy.  But look at what the Feds have done already:

First, they nixed the acquisition of Sprint.  Bernie Ebbers knew that WorldCom had to grow to survive and he thought that it would be obvious to the regulators.  Oops.

Second,  they've let the local Bell companies move into the long distance market.  WorldCom can't compete with them.

Look at what's happening to WCOM's stock today -- the investors are cutting and running.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#32]
I do think WCOM could go bust.  They wouldn't close the doors right away, but other companies would snatch up the existing business units at bargain basement prices.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#33]
The stuff just hit the fan:

"Massive fraud alleged at WorldCom"
[url]http://www.msnbc.com/news/772330.asp?0cm=c40[/url]

The stock is down to around $0.20/share and the rest of the market is likely to take a serious dip tomorrow.  This is going to have a nasty ripple effect on the whole economy as investors lose confidence in the integrity of the markets.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Sounds like AT&T may be picking up on some low cost infrastructure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top