Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2023 8:21:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Czechers]
Still sorting this out but took an old silverplate platter that was damaged and starting cutting a pickguard/ctrl plate.  Also looking for suggestions on how to cut the slider slot in the ctrl plate. I have a few more of these silverplate dishes i can use with a good amount of leftovers for truss rod covers and jack plates. i might do this for profit if it goes well enough.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting use of old trash. Looks like something from Lucky Dog or some other custom builder. Cant wait to see a finished product.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Czechers:
Also looking for suggestions on how to cut the slider slot in the ctrl plate.
View Quote

CNC, of course.

The more typical way,  I believe, is to use a dremel with a router base attachment, setting up a guide block to run along to keep it straight. A trim router would also work in the same fashion.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 11:19:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Let me know if you figure it out, that looks cool.  I wouldn't mind buying a set if the price is right.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By callmestick:
Let me know if you figure it out, that looks cool.  I wouldn't mind buying a set if the price is right.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm just sorting out the routing in metal right now.  My woodworking skills are pretty good.  I'm also testing some patina sheet metal for some pickguards.  Most of what I see online are DIY'ers but nothing offered commercially. Not sure if it makes more sense to have them hydrojet cut and then do finishing myself or not.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I'm not sure about getting blanks made in silver but in other materials just draw them up and have sendcutsend.com cut them for you.

Then you'll just have to do finishing work on them.

On something high dollar like that with all that work already done, I'd for sure get it done on a CNC machining center or even an EDM.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Error I've already discovered.  Should have cut the circles for the control plate and neck pickup radii before cutting out pickguard from the original workpiece. Live and learn.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Because of the odd shape?  Not an issue - use painters tape and superglue for workholding, easy peasy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:
Because of the odd shape?  Not an issue - use painters tape and superglue for workholding, easy peasy.
View Quote

Yeah, for this one but would have been much easier to drill all those holes in large sheet to begin with.  Good idea though and I'll use it, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Plenty of youtube videos on how to do it from small at-home CNC guys but I do know professional level shops that use it.  Personally I've moved over to vaccum workholding with sandpaper or dowels in my shop but sometimes it just doesn't get faster than the ol' superglue trick.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Bump for updates.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 03screwlariat:
Bump for updates.
View Quote

Working a lot of hours but finally got done additional dremel bits in.  I started drilling some sheet steel for some PG's then realized it was too thick at 20 ga.  22 would seem to be ideal. I'll finish out a couple of those for PG's then use the remainder for control plates. I really need a band saw. the one I bought used to build the last guitar body had some issues so I got rid of it. Probably have some pics by the end of this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Working a lot of hours but finally got done additional dremel bits in.  I started drilling some sheet steel for some PG's then realized it was too thick at 20 ga.  22 would seem to be ideal. I'll finish out a couple of those for PG's then use the remainder for control plates. I really need a band saw. the one I bought used to build the last guitar body had some issues so I got rid of it. Probably have some pics by the end of this weekend.
View Quote

Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 3:00:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Slowly sorting out what the most efficient way to cut different materials will be by hand. Still would consider doing some qty of steel with waterjet but the pieces of silverplate I've picked up will have to be done by bandsaw/jigsaw and shears to accomplish what i want.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Done...that slot in control plate was difficult to cut with tools on hand and i ended up hand filing to clean it up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks really nice.  In the machining world we often perform the highest dollar operations last to avoid this situation where you can scrap a really expensive part with a ton of time into it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 10:52:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I like it!!

Link Posted: 10/15/2023 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn! That's a cool idea I need me some of that for my tele!

Mines just a lightly hot-rodded Squier. Its already out of place looking in heavy music, and I need to make it look even more surf/country
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Liaztraht:

Mines just a lightly hot-rodded Squier. Its already out of place looking in heavy music, and I need to make it look even more surf/country
View Quote

I've really gotten attached to this piece so I'll keep it but I am going to start making sheet steel pickguards in the vein of "rusty truck" finishes.

Link Posted: 10/16/2023 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#19]

I've really gotten attached to this piece so I'll keep it but I am going to start making sheet steel pickguards in the vein of "rusty truck" finishes.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Liaztraht:

I'm gonna hit up a thrift shop at some point. I'll keep an eye out for cool things like that.

I have a dremel, and lots of patience
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Done...that slot in control plate was difficult to cut with tools on hand and i ended up hand filing to clean it up.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/300247/20231001_123153_jpg-2972627.JPG
View Quote

I’d be interested in one, I’ll even make your job easier because I play an esquire
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Bump.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Sorry, not any real updates.  Started a new job which is eating up my time.  Good news is I should have a table sander and a band saw by the next update
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 1:36:15 PM EDT
[#23]
That is cool, nice work.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Update...testing rust processes on the 20 ga steel PG.  Going to move to 22 ga. for these for ease of cutting. Just vinegar, salt, SE TX humidity. Also showing the rear of PG.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Update...testing rust processes on the 20 ga steel PG.  Going to move to 22 ga. for these for ease of cutting. Just vinegar, salt, SE TX humidity. Also showing the rear of PG.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/300247/1000004400_jpg-3034506.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/300247/1000004401_jpg-3034507.JPG
View Quote

Nice. Thanks for the updates.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Bump.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Few weeks ago i sold the silverplate pg and ctrl plate on Reverb for an amount that would have been profitable if it wasnt handled like a prototype. It did sit for awhile on the site but feedback from buyer was good.
Contemplating making more at this point. I wont do it again without a new bandsaw and enough silver to make 5-10 of them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Few weeks ago i sold the silverplate pg and ctrl plate on Reverb for an amount that would have been profitable if it wasnt handled like a prototype. It did sit for awhile on the site but feedback from buyer was good.
Contemplating making more at this point. I wont do it again without a new bandsaw and enough silver to make 5-10 of them.
View Quote

Nice.
Top Top