Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2007 6:08:33 PM EDT
My brother got a laptop--

It takes SODIMM DDR PC 3200 memory (per an on-line memory source).  

He took the memory slot cover off and it appears to have 2 modules--running a system report (TuneUp utilities) it says he has (basically) 512 MB--pretty much has to be 2 x 256 MB modules.

Not a bad amount of memory for a laptop, but if he wants to expand, can he replace ONE of the 256 MB modules with a higher (512 MB or 1 GB) module, or does he have to replace in pairs?

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to replace them in pairs. You should check out newegg.com they will have what you need.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I think he said (from checking) that the max was listed as 2 GB.  

I'll have him check on the different slot capacities.

AFARR
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:26:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
SODIMMS don't have to be replaced in pairs.  He needs to check the max memory size for the computer (and possibly per slot), and replace accordingly.  If he can putp 512MB per slot, I'd just do that.  Memory is pretty cheap lately.

+1

not required in pairs, single mem modules are ok
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think he said (from checking) that the max was listed as 2 GB.  

I'll have him check on the different slot capacities.

AFARR

While we are on the subject of Computer Memory, I found this great little program online at Crucial Technology that scans your computer and tells you exactly which type of memory your system takes, and then links you to a page where you can buy the correct memory for your computer. It even shows you how many empty memory slots you have and how many are currently filled with memory.

Here's the link... just disregard the 'browser incompatiility message' and download the program. Once intsalled click on the Icon and it will run the scan.

Crucial Memory Scan

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Used Dell on Ebay.

Not sure of the exact model (he just gave me the info from the memory website).

AFARR
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#8]
id recommend upgrading to atleast a gb, if not 2.  itll make the system move alot faster.  and www.newegg.com is a great site with great prices.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Used Dell on Ebay.

Not sure of the exact model (he just gave me the info from the memory website).

AFARR

I can't think of a Dell model I've dealt with in the last 5-6 years that required the memory to be in pairs.   Used to swap it around pretty often when I'd get a trashed laptop back, pull the memory from the dead one and add to someones who could get some use out of it
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:00:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I guess he can try...thanks for the help.

He was thinking of spending for a 1GB module now, and another later....his main question was if he could put a 256mb + 1gb module together, or would that cause problems?

AFARR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top