Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 11/3/2002 12:19:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2002 12:55:28 PM EST by WISDOM]
We have a group of guys that live all over the state. We get together regularly on camping and hunting trips. During our regular daily lives we are as far away from each other as 150 miles. While camping we are usually within 1 to 10 miles of each other. We all plan on getting our Technician Class license. We need HTs while on foot, mobile units for our trucks and a portable heavy duty unit that can be carried in a backpack for use in a mobile base camp. Primary is being able to talk to each other. Secondary is talking or listening to everyone else. Would be nice to have ability to contact law enforcement and medical emergency people in case of accident. What would be best bands for our purposes? None of us really wants to get into the hobby like a lot of HAMs do. We just want quality equipment to use without a lot of experimentation and uneccessary purchases. We need: 7 weather resistant HTs 7 weather resistant HT antennas 7 weather resistant head sets 7 weather resistant PTT switches 7 Mobile units 7 REALLY GOOD mobile antennas 1 Portable heavy duty unit 1 Portable antenna Anything else needed. TOTAL budget is in the $2000 to $2500 range for each person. We would all like to have identical equipment. Plus $2000 budget for portable and its antenna and accesories. Any help would be greatly appreaciated. We welcome your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 12:29:58 PM EST
Also is there a site that shows proper terminology to use while talking on the radio? Thanks
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 12:45:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2002 12:48:23 PM EST by LotBoy]
Here is a good place to start. [url]http://www.arrl.org/[/url] Technician Class: Hams enter the hobby as Technicians by passing a 35-question multiple-choice examination. No Morse code test is required. The exam covers basic regulations, operating practices, and electronics theory, with a focus on VHF and UHF applications. Technician Class operators are authorized to use all amateur VHF and UHF frequencies (all frequencies above 50 MHz). Technicians who pass a 5 WPM Morse code examination are entitled to limited power outputs on certain HF frequencies. "Technicians with HF" may operate on the 80, 40, and 15 meter bands using CW, and on the 10 meter band using CW, voice, and digital modes.
Top Top