Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 5:38:02 AM EDT

Preach:  To advocate, especially to urge acceptance of or compliance with;  To give religious or moral instruction

Teach:  To impart knowledge or skill to; To provide knowledge of; instruct in

Seems to me in this day and age its harder to find pastors who preach rather then teach from the pulpit.  Bible studies and Sunday School is for teaching but during regular service it should be preaching.  I think the epitome of teaching from the pulpit is Joel Osteen.  I irk my in-laws and other Christians because I don't consider Joel Osteen a "preacher".  Even Billy Graham doesn't preach hard enough IMHO.

Shok
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:03:32 AM EDT
[#1]
We are all to preach, not just the pastor, but every disciple.

A good pastor teaches and preaches at the same time suring service. At the church I go to, the teaching is solid and every single lesson ends with an appeal to the lost. If you have ever read a sermon by Charles Spurgeon you would know they type of teaching/preaching combo I am speaking of. Good hard sound doctrine that convicts the soul and pricks the conscience that believers and non believers alike respond to.

Some churches are so focused on getting new folks in, they are no longer providing for the spiritual needs of the members and as they desire more knowledge, they move on to churched that actually pastor to the fold. Some churches are so into teaching that preaching is neglected. there has to be a balance.

I went to a mainline non denominational dispensationalist church for a few years. (Calvary Chapel) They were more concerned in accomodating the sinner. That is fine to be open and inviting, but to sugar coat the truth or avoid it all together is dangerous. I quit going because it was all seeker sensitive. They were designed so all the person had to do was pressure a friend into comming toa  service. The friend will then do an altar call to satisfy or shut up the pushy friend. Everyone thinks the person is now saved and no furthur teaching is done. After 2 years I have heard the same sermon so many times it was impeding my spiritual growth. The sermons were all designed like a comedy routine. The same joke or sound bite was heard time and time again. They know that 90% of the folks who did altar calls and  attended were sure to flake out or dissappera within the first year so the same old routing and jokes were used over and over. It got to the point that the enntire sermon was designed around the altar call. As time grew on it I saw it for what it was, an emotional self help seminar with some bible references tossed in. Another thing that bothered me was the apparent lack of willingness to answer the harder questions. They would make mention of Gods soveriegnty but did very little actual teaching of it. They did not preach a sovereign God at all and when pressed, I dont think that actually believed God was Sovereign, but more of a servant of man. I prayed long and hard and God showed me the truth. I found some books in their  bookstore after much prayer. I believe God led me to them. Theses are books that I know would never be taught from in the church, so I foundit interesting they were even in their bookstore.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I always viewed Preaching as spreading a message.

While teaching is spread YOUR personal experiences.

YMMV

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:16:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The four roles given for believers in the church, as outlined on Ephesians 4, are evangelist, apostle,   prophet, and pastor/teacher,

The evangelist is the one who "preaches", who seeks to sway those that need swaying.

The pastor/teacher is the one who instructs and mentors those who are already swayed, hence the futility of "preaching to the chior"  The chior don't need to be swayed, they need to be instructed on how to better understand and live God's word.

I't my conviction that the event that needs to happen on sunday morining, with the gathering mostly populated by those already believers, is teaching, not preaching.

I agree pretty much but I beleive all sermons should at least make an appeal to the lost in case any are fale professors or visitors from the outside. I am not saying do an altar call, I dont believe in those.

I agree the pastors job is to tend t the flock first, to those in the fold.

Unfortunately most mainstream christian churches are really a humanist self help seminar with some scriptures tossed in. Nothin to convict of sin and show God in His majesty. More of a self help seminar with the trappings of Christianity.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
any preaching that isn't teaching is just plain hollering.

I think I'll pick yours to agree with.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
any preaching that isn't teaching is just plain hollering.

I think I'll pick yours to agree with.

+1
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#9]
There is a danger when folks avoid teaching. Instead of striving to preach the Truth in all its purity, they will tone it down so as to make it more palatable to the unregenerate. Impelled by a single force, moving in one fixed direction, thier object is to make conversion easy; and therefore, favorite passages (like John 3:16) are dwelt upon incessantly, while others are ignored or pared away. It inevitably reacts upon thier own theology; and various verses in the Word are shunned, if not repudiated. What place will he give in his thoughts to such declarations as, "Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots?" (Jer. 13:23); "No man can come to Me, except the Father which hath sent Me draw Him" (John 6:44); "Ye have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you" (John 15:14)?

He will be sorely tempted to modify the truth of God's sovereignty, of Christ's  redemption, of the imperative necessity for the super-natural operations of the Holy Spirit. He will preach to tickle the itching ears and nothing more.

Preaching is useless if folks do not understand what is being preached. Many harp on simple verses yet go to the extreme to avoid telling them what they are being saved from. They repeat John 3:16 over and over but that has little meaning to those who dont know what sin is and its relation to Gods Holiness. We can go around and tell folks that Jesus loves them and they they may be saved, but until they understand the necessity for being saved, they will not see the love Jesus has.

We must preach the truth fully, without holding back. We must be ready to teach as well. We must be prepared for the questions fro the sincere seeker. We jst remember to do it in earnest and with an apparent motivation of love for one another. Not to browbeat and tear another down.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Where are the apostles and prophets? Are there to be any prophets in these times?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:31:08 AM EDT
[#11]
My perception:

Preaching: Lessons on how we should live.

Teaching: Lessons into theology, doctrine, and the deeper things of God.

Recommendation: A balanced diet (of both!).
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top