Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/19/2015 2:18:06 PM EDT
So, in the spring I will be taking another trip to OBX for a week on vacation. I've always tried renting fishing gear from the piers and giving it a go, but never had much lunch. This time around, I'd like to just try Surf Fishing on my own.

Now, I've been doing some reading, and other than sourcing the gear, it doesn't seem too tough. Now a question or two.....

What are some tips for a beginner from those of you lucky enough to live near the big water? Also, has anybody tried, or could I get by just using my Musky rod and reel setup rather than buying or renting gear that I will likely only use once every few years?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I surf fish quite a bit. I don't know what OBX is. What ocean are you fishing in? That will help me a lot.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So, in the spring I will be taking another trip to OBX for a week on vacation. I've always tried renting fishing gear from the piers and giving it a go, but never had much lunch. This time around, I'd like to just try Surf Fishing on my own.

Now, I've been doing some reading, and other than sourcing the gear, it doesn't seem too tough. Now a question or two.....

What are some tips for a beginner from those of you lucky enough to live near the big water? Also, has anybody tried, or could I get by just using my Musky rod and reel setup rather than buying or renting gear that I will likely only use once every few years?
View Quote

I've caught more with this stuff:

Than just about anything else.    Cut up the small fish you catch with that and send out a bigger rod with the chunks.    

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I surf fish quite a bit. I don't know what OBX is. What ocean are you fishing in? That will help me a lot.
View Quote

Outer Banks, NC.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote
OBX is the abbreviation for the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Think Nags Head, Duck, Hatteras, Corolla, KDH.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Paging Slug-o to the wet courtesy phone
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#6]
In before pics of the "square grouper"  lol.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:25:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

OBX is the Outer Banks -- Cape Hatteras and all that ring of barrier islands off NC.  Very nice place.

Too slow
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Bunker chunks or eels on a fishfinder off Montauk.
Poppers/Topwater plugs when blues or Stripers are blitzing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I am just tagging this for interest, I live no where near an ocean, but last time I was close to one I saw some guys doing it.

It looked like a hell of a workout winging those 50 foot long rods out there (slight exaggeration maybe).
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had pretty good luck with a bottom rig and a cooler of beer.  Never caught much, but that wasn't the point.

But seriously, ask at whatever bait and tackle store you decide to use, they'll set you up.  I've had the best luck with cut up mullet, but it depends on the season, what's running, water temp, etc.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:27:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Tag. Last time I tried I didn't have any success but did well off the pier.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:28:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Outer banks NC, Atlantic ocean.     The fish are closer to the shore than you think.  In between where the first and second set of waves from about 30-60 yards from shore form and break their  will be a trough, this is where most of your fish are going to be.   What time of year and what is the average water temp, fish like blues and croaker or spot will be around almost year round.  Speckled trout and the drums, flounder, and stripers will be more of a seasonal thing.  Are you going to be driving on the beach on the north shore around corolla, or further south by the bridges and inlets?  You will also need other gear like pole holders and such.  Do you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Outer Banks.

Do you have waders? I used to surf fish before I switched to ocean kayak fishing. You'll need waders, plug bag, extra leaders/swivels/snaps/etc/etc, an assortment of plugs, at least a 9 footer. I use pink ande 20# mono.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#14]

I have had better luck on a kayak just dragging a cigar minnow or skirt free line but its not as chill as sitting on the beach.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#15]
OP I have never surf fished there but this is what I do.

Get a mullet, a big one. Cut it in half.

12/0 hook and surf weight (size depends on tidal current)

place half mullet on 12/0 hook

wade out to second sand bar

cast and set surf weight

wade back to beach and sit in chair while rod site in rod holder made of pvc

wait for huge red fish or shark to strike

set hook

reel in fish

repeat
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Silver spoon has been deadly for me.  I'll occasionally throw a buck tail jig tipped with shrimp.  I've also done well with Rapala/Lucky type stick baits ripped through very erratically.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Ive caught better fish from the surf than from the pier. Done all my surf fishing on the NC coast as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Outer banks NC, Atlantic ocean.     The fish are closer to the shore than you think.  In between where the first and second set of waves from about 30-60 yards from shore form and break their  will be a trough, this is where most of your fish are going to be.   What time of year and what is the average water temp, fish like blues and croaker or spot will be around almost year round.  Speckled trout and the drums, flounder, and stripers will be more of a seasonal thing.  Are you going to be driving on the beach on the north shore around corolla, or further south by the bridges and inlets?  You will also need other gear like pole holders and such.  Do you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle?
View Quote

Yes, I have a 4x4 Ram 1500 and will be staying in Rodanthe/Waves. I'm sure I can get a permit for beach running. We did last time just for fun.

I figured I'd have to pick up a sand spike when I get there, but just trying to get other gear together while i have a few months to gather the gear. Basically my Musky setup is either 8'6" or 9ft Heavy Action rod with a Baitcaster reel. I see the Surf Rods can get up to 15ft, but I imagine the benefit of a longer rod would be the added feel and casting distance.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes, I have a 4x4 Ram 1500 and will be staying in Rodanthe/Waves. I'm sure I can get a permit for beach running. We did last time just for fun.

I figured I'd have to pick up a sand spike when I get there, but just trying to get other gear together while i have a few months to gather the gear. Basically my Musky setup is either 8'6" or 9ft Heavy Action rod with a Baitcaster reel. I see the Surf Rods can get up to 15ft, but I imagine the benefit of a longer rod would be the added feel and casting distance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It also helps you get your line above the waves crashing into the beach and above seaweed. I use a 12 foot two piece rod.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#21]

I always stay in Hatteras Village and drive the sand road to the inlet area or use Ramp 55 and follow the beach toward the inlet but I always go in the fall to take advantage of the mullet and sand fleas I can catch myself to use for bait. I hate paying for bait. My $80 casting net (I bought a hand made one) has paid for itself 100 times over.

In the Spring you are pretty much stuck with store bought bunker or lures.

Lots of wildlife beach closures in the Spring too.

Hint....Buy all your terminal tackle before you go unless you want to be ass-raped.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Depending on your target species, spoons, plugs/poppers, and swim baits (ie yo-zuri) will work best for artificial baits. As far as live bait, chunking butter fish, mullet, bunker or mackerel will work. Idk what kind of rod you have but the larger the eyes/ guides the further you'll be able to cast.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OP I have never surf fished there but this is what I do.

Get a mullet, a big one. Cut it in half.

12/0 hook and surf weight (size depends on tidal current)

place half mullet on 12/0 hook

wade out to second sand bar

cast and set surf weight

wade back to beach and sit in chair while rod site in rod holder made of pvc

wait for huge red fish or shark to strike

set hook

reel in fish

repeat
View Quote

[bender]If I'm not gonna catch a fish, I'm not gonna catch a BIG fish.[/bender]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It also helps you get your line above the waves crashing into the beach and above seaweed. I use a 12 foot two piece rod.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good Point! Never thought of that one.....
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Can't help you with Surf Fishing, but I can educate you on Skeet Surfing!

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Would a Potato gun be useful?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few months, so mid to late spring, some time around may?  Their should be plenty of fish around for shore fishing, best advice is going to come from one of the locals.  I fish further up north myself.  Blood worms or fish bites to catch spot, then use them for cut bait or catch enough and have a fish fry.  Spot are good eating, however if you get lucky the may run of drum will be running and a spot head is one of the best baits for the 50-80 lb monsters.  Be warned though if the locals know the drum are running and they will, the prime spots will be very crowded.  Early mackerel and flounder can be in the area also.  Blue fish schools tend to chase of some of the other fish up and down the coast but they can be  fun to catch also.  If you run out of bait cast surf spoons or gotcha stick baits if you can walk the dog, being a musky fisherman I am sure you have mastered that by know though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Big pyramid sinker on the end of the line.  A couple of feet up, tie on a leader with a big circle hook. Bait it with the stink-du-jour. Fling. Put your rod in the sand spike and watch the tip. Drink as necessary.

I found that when I fished at night, a glow stick hooked through the tip-top made a dandy indicator and if I started reeling, it fell right off. Anodized surf pliers and a boga grip help a whole lot, too.

I was surf casting in Ocean City, NJ in the evening, and the locals like to allow their poorly-behaved dogs to frolic. One lady's dindu fucking golden nearly got a 12/0 in the mouth while leaping on me trying to get the bunker chunk I was using as bait.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It could be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0IT6Yplvgw
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:22:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

http://www.easternmarine.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/9/5984_st.jpg

Than just about anything else.    Cut up the small fish you catch with that and send out a bigger rod with the chunks.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.easternmarine.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/9/5984_st.jpg

exactly
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:23:52 PM EDT
[#31]
A few months, so mid to late spring, some time around may? Their should be plenty of fish around for shore fishing, best advice is going to come from one of the locals. I fish further up north myself. Blood worms or fish bites to catch spot, then use them for cut bait or catch enough and have a fish fry. Spot are good eating, however if you get lucky the may run of drum will be running and a spot head is one of the best baits for the 50-80 lb monsters. Be warned though if the locals know the drum are running and they will, the prime spots will be very crowded. Early mackerel and flounder can be in the area also. Blue fish schools tend to chase of some of the other fish up and down the coast but they can be fun to catch also. If you run out of bait cast surf spoons or gotcha stick baits if you can walk the dog, being a musky fisherman I am sure you have mastered that by know though.
View Quote

Yes, May.

There will be plenty of beer to drink with me, so even if the fish aren't running it something relaxing to do. Are the various types of fish running around the same time of year?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:31:27 PM EDT
[#32]
I fish the Pacific Ocean out of SF Bay on a boat and fish alot. First determine the time of year you are going and what the common fish that is targeted at that time of year. I fish for Albacore, White sturgeon, Salmon, strippers, Pacific Halibut and the smaller California Halibut,  and lake Kokanee. Right now I am fishing White sturgeon in the bays mainly Suisun bay and can catch 1-8 fish a day which is alot more then most, it's really helpful to know the proper baits and who has the best baits. A lot of sturgeon fisherman here use Eel and ghost or grass shrimp, I use Salmon roe cured a very specific way and can out catch most people on any given day. A lot to fishing is knowledge gained by being out there and doing it, the first year I got my boat was hit or miss on catching , now I very rarely don't come home with fish.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yes, May.

There will be plenty of beer to drink with me, so even if the fish aren't running it something relaxing to do. Are the various types of fish running around the same time of year?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
A few months, so mid to late spring, some time around may? Their should be plenty of fish around for shore fishing, best advice is going to come from one of the locals. I fish further up north myself. Blood worms or fish bites to catch spot, then use them for cut bait or catch enough and have a fish fry. Spot are good eating, however if you get lucky the may run of drum will be running and a spot head is one of the best baits for the 50-80 lb monsters. Be warned though if the locals know the drum are running and they will, the prime spots will be very crowded. Early mackerel and flounder can be in the area also. Blue fish schools tend to chase of some of the other fish up and down the coast but they can be fun to catch also. If you run out of bait cast surf spoons or gotcha stick baits if you can walk the dog, being a musky fisherman I am sure you have mastered that by know though.

Yes, May.

http://www.fishing-nc.com/nc-surf-fishing-reports.php

I last went two Novembers ago and caught the shit out of some blues off the beach in Kill Devil Hills.  I really need to go again.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes, May.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, May.

The Virginia Pilot has a great outdoors column by Lee Toliver that should be running again by may.  It will have the info on what the locals are catching at the time and can help you tune for the different fish that are biting.  You can go big and deep with one rod and fish a little shallower for action with the other.  Plus beer = win win.  good luck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I last went two Novembers ago and caught the shit out of some blues off the beach in Kill Devil Hills.  I really need to go again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, May.

Great resource, I was driving on the beach at corolla on new years day and saw a few sharks being pulled in.  Oct.-Nov, is the trophy season in the northern outer banks.  I saw at least 20 huge red drum pulled of the Avalon pier on nov 2,  Huge noreaster  that night, the surf was breaking on the end of the pier.  My wife caught like 20 skates, it kept her entertained.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Great resource, I was driving on the beach at corolla on new years day and saw a few sharks being pulled in.  Oct.-Nov, is the trophy season in the northern outer banks.  I saw at least 20 huge red drum pulled of the Avalon pier on nov 2,  Huge noreaster  that night, the surf was breaking on the end of the pier.  My wife caught like 20 skates, it kept her entertained.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, May.

I would LOVE to catch a shark off the surf.  Hell, anywhere would be awesome, but especially off the surf.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I would LOVE to catch a shark off the surf.  Hell, anywhere would be awesome, but especially off the surf.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, May.

Small bluefish hooked threw the eyes with a stinger hook in the tail is the bait you seek.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, May.

Used to catch them at night off of Indian Rocks Beach FL back in the sixties and early 70's.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#39]
I know nothing about fishing the east coast.  I Do fish the Texas surf...ALOT.  

The best advice I'd give you is learn to read the water.  Where the waves break, it's a hallow, where it's calmer, it's deeper.  Fish the deeper spots.  Also, you will see where two,sandbars punch together...fish in those areas.  Also, anything that looks different..fish it.  Keep,your eyes open for birds loitering and actively feeding.

As for gear...I take 3 bait rods and 3 lure rods with me.  The bait rods are a 11.5' casting rod, a 10' casting rod and a 9' casting rod.  I either use fish finder rigs with cut or live bait or a simple single drop rig with the aforementioned shrimp and fish bites combo.

My lure rods are all 8' spinning rods one with a super spook, one with a silver spoon, and one with a soft plastic or buck tail jig.

If I were going to go to the OBX, I'd probably do the same things i do now...look for cuts in the surf, or pinches, and changes and fish around them.  I'd get up early and toss plugs/spoons up close looking for speckle trout and redfish up close...and you will be surprised at how close they will come in to feed.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:55:02 PM EDT
[#40]
My buddies rent a place in Emerald Isle NC a couple times a year strictly for surf fishing. They have been doing it for about 30 years now. This past year they rented a house on the beach for all of November and finally dragged me down with them. Insane.
I am still in awe at how much there is to know about surf fishing, the gear, and the tricks of the trade these guys know after doing it for all these years.

Tag for more info and taking notes.......

I caught a shitload of Black Drum, Flounder, and Puffer fish.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And you can cast a very long way.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
 Small bluefish hooked threw the eyes with a stinger hook in the tail is the bait you seek.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#43]
- 8 to 12ft rod

- Medium size reel....

- 12 to 20 pound test

- 2 hook bottom rigs...these can be bought pre made at any walmart in NC or bait shop.

- rod holders....basically pvc pipers to hold the rods

- Bait...shrimp, blood worms, squid, cut bait..etc etc

- have fun

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
- 8 to 12ft rod

- Medium size reel....

- 12 to 20 pound test

- 2 hook bottom rigs...these can be bought pre made at any walmart in NC or bait shop.

- rod holders....basically pvc pipers to hold the rods

- Bait...shrimp, blood worms, squid, cut bait..etc etc

- have fun

View Quote

Excellent! Thanks..

I've been watching quite a few videos, and it's just getting me jacked up and excited to just sit there and wait. With my luck, I'll either fish for hours with no luck, or hook in to something stupid like a huge Stingray or Shark that I can't handle with my gear.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#45]
If you want to catch big fish like bull reds use big bait like big mullet cut in half.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Lots of good advice in this thread.

Last piece.......when you get into town, remember that the bait shops will always be happy to let you know what's running and what's working. Also, pre trip get your Google on and find the local fishing forum/board and read read read.

As someone up the thread mentioned, spot and kingfish should be good in the surf, so fill up your cooler with a pile and have another rod working a few as cut bait......ya never know what'll turn up!

Have a blast!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Was in south Carolina last year south of myrtle beach.  I'm a trout fisherman by trade so had no clue what I was doing.  Bought a 9ft cheap combo, googled making leaders and fish finder setups.  Bought frozen squid, and beer, then sat out and caught sharks at night right from the surf.  Caught them in the same place me and the kids were swimming during the day.  If my land locked river walking ass can do it anyone can.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Go to the local tackle shop and ask. They will be more than willing to tell you what works locally and what tide to fish.

I was in Duck years ago. I think the tackle shop is called Bob's.

Tight lines!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#50]

Well their went 3 hours of my life, great resource.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top