Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2004 5:05:08 AM EDT
I got home from college last night and spent three hours putting my model 1 AR kit together. Why three hours? Let’s just say after the 5th time you start to figure out where those little springs are going. So this morning I decide to shoot it a little bit to make sure its working. Seven rounds and a half hour later the cops see me out in the yard picking up shell casings and ask me if I heard any shooting. I tell em "I was doing some shooting, I built a rifle last night and wanted to test to make sure it was working". So the officer says " alright 10-4 it upset the neighbors a little" then he smiles and turns around and walks away. Damn, I love America!

Lessons Learned:
Don't shoot the rifle in the backyard. If you have to don't dump seven rounds in less than 3 seconds.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:09:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully lesson learned by your neighbors: shooter nearby, get used to it.

Mine have. Fortunately most of them shoot, too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:04:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I would have the whole damn swat team out there ready to kill me if I did that!

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:30:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I shoot often enough (once a month or so) just to keep the neighbors acclimated to it, but not so often as to irritate them.  Never been hassled.  If I've got some serious shooting to do, I'll go to the range only 5 min. away.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:32:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:36:52 AM EDT
[#5]
<makes mental note to move so I can shoot on my property.>

If it was legal and safe in my neighborhood to shoot, that freaky squirrel that charged at me would be a little red stain on my driveway.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Viriginia is a great state
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:02:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I have my own range. Other than not being able to shoot at night, I have no issues with the immediate neighbors, although supposidly someone a couple of miles away complained once about the noise.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:07:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Lessons Learned:
Don't shoot the rifle in the backyard. If you have to don't dump seven rounds in less than 3 seconds.

NOooooo!

Lesson Learned:  
You must now purchase a sound suppressor.  With the AWB sunset you don't have to worry about the sound suppressor also being a flash suppressor and not being able to put it on a 'post-ban' rifle.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:09:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That's because you're a wierdo.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:13:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I shoot once in a while at night, never had a problem with my neighbors calling the cops.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:25:12 AM EDT
[#11]
<----NEVER shoots on his own property.
Not more than 1000 rounds in a day, anyway.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:26:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I got home from college last night and spent three hours putting my model 1 AR kit together. Why three hours? Let’s just say after the 5th time you start to figure out where those little springs are going. So this morning I decide to shoot it a little bit to make sure its working. Seven rounds and a half hour later the cops see me out in the yard picking up shell casings and ask me if I heard any shooting. I tell em "I was doing some shooting, I built a rifle last night and wanted to test to make sure it was working". So the officer says " alright 10-4 it upset the neighbors a little" then he smiles and turns around and walks away. Damn, I love America!

Lessons Learned:

You must live out in the country...anywhere in NOVA, and you'd be on your way to jail...
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:31:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Can you shoot in your property even if it's on an urban area?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:43:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You must live out in the country...anywhere in NOVA, and you'd be on your way to jail...

Actually I do. My town population is like 1700 people. I'm about 3 miles outside of town and I have a 450 yard field behind me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Even if it were LEGAL, and SAFE to shoot in my backyard, the 25 yards or so wouldn't be too much fun... I need to move out of the city.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:59:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually I do. My town population is like 1700 people. I'm about 3 miles outside of town and I have a 450 yard field behind me.

Why not invite some fellow Virginians down
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:32:23 AM EDT
[#17]
A friend who worked with me back in the day once told me he had a 'foxhole' out by his wood pile that he regularly jumped into when his 'post traumatic stress' over took him..........He said this usually happened when I was out shooting in my yard!!  He said it reminded him of Korea...

He was joking of course he said this.  

As an aside Albert (my friend) is no longer with us   Rest in peace Albert..
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:34:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

SGatr15

+1  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:14:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Can you shoot in your property even if it's on an urban area?

There generally isn't the distance between residences required in state law to allow that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:18:56 AM EDT
[#20]
In the words of Yakov Smirnoff

"I love this country!"
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What town?  I used to live in Virginia...
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:36:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I had a similar experience last weekend.  I was in the backyard, trying out the new telestock on my DPMS 308.  (it worked, but not well--need a shorter buffer or longer tube...will have to settle with 66% evil until I figure out a good fix)  Anyway, my wife decided to join in the fun and between my 308 and her AR, we probably went through 350+ rds.

We were reloading mags when a police car AND a sherrif's deputy pulled into the driveway.  Turns out they were off duty (our LEOs often get to use the company cars for personal use) and heard us shooting over at the sportsmen's club about 2 miles away.  They only came by to see if we wanted to join.  I LOVE living in the country
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#23]
We (my neighbors and I) sometimes shoot clay pigeons in the field behind our houses. Not safe for rifles, but fine for shotty's. Best part is I can actually see the local school while shooting!!  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I would have the whole damn swat team out there ready to kill me if I did that they knew where I live!

SGatr15

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What town?  I used to live in Virginia... hr

I live in New Market. Its like 17 miles north of Harrisonburg. In regards to inviting others to shoot in the backyard, I dont think that would go over to well with dad, the neighbors, or the cops. :)
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Look on the bright side. Fineswine would probably fly home just to give you a big wet kiss.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Maybe the occasional Colibri ......

Had a cool setup in Poway when I was a kid.  Had a nice oak knoll as a backdrop for my .22 and shot it from the inside of the house with the dutch door as a rest.  It WAS the country so no surprise.

Most any city in CA has a municipal limit law on discharging a firearm.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

SGatr15

You got that right sarge..............
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Had to take care of a few pests a few years ago.  Checked first with my two nearest neighbors and they said to go for it.   It is great living here in the Commonwealth.

If I still lived in Kali, I'd have had a JBT's boot on my neck most scratchy!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#30]
I just drive to South Tucson to test out new guns. Nobody seems to notice. Especially late at night on Fridays and Saturdays.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What town?  I used to live in Virginia...

I live in New Market. Its like 17 miles north of Harrisonburg. In regards to inviting others to shoot in the backyard, I dont think that would go over to well with dad, the neighbors, or the cops. :)

Ah, yes...New Market...Rt. 211...Massanutten...I know the area well...next time I'm back in VA, maybe we can grab a
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top