Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2014 10:53:26 PM EDT
so i bought the standalone, thinking it would be the future and the mod was done and the standalone would have all the same features plus more
.... i was wrong
standalone is crap IMO, its basically walking simulator 2014, can hardly find any equipment/ guns, can't find other people to make alliances
but the mod looks really fun. Ive been waiting for this type of game done well forever. Ive been looking forward to h1z1 also
idk ive been looking for an good mmo, i tried guild wars... wasn't for me
Should i buy the mod?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:55:08 PM EDT
[#1]
It is horribru, do not get it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:57:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I love the standalone!!! but I just got arma3 and have been playing around with it tried wasteland and altis life mods the vehicles and planes/copters are badass.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:58:24 PM EDT
[#3]
You got the EBOLA ?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:59:19 PM EDT
[#4]
You just need to get Arma2 and Operation Arrowhead which you can usually get bundled off of Steam. All the Dayz mods are free downloads, a launcher like Dayz Commander makes it easy and helps with updates.

IMHO the mod is 10x more fun than standalone at this point in time and well worth the small price invested. Have fun.  

ETA: I haven't played it yet but the ARMA 3 Epoch mod looks pretty promising too.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:59:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is horribru, do not get it.
View Quote

could you be more descriptive?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You just need to get Arma2 and Operation Arrowhead which you can usually get bundled off of Steam. All the Dayz mods are free downloads, a launcher like Dayz Commander makes it easy and helps with updates.

IMHO the mod is 10x more fun than standalone at this point in time and well worth the small price invested. Have fun.  
View Quote

yea, i looked at its $40 for me. which is alot for me
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:01:59 PM EDT
[#7]
The mod sucks and the stand alone is worse.  Don't buy it.  The mod is plagued with cheats and bugs since it is client side so anyone can hack.  I tried it and had to quit playing due to cheating.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:03:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
so i bought the standalone, thinking it would be the future and the mod was done and the standalone would have all the same features plus more
.... i was wrong
standalone is crap IMO, its basically walking simulator 2014, can hardly find any equipment/ guns, can't find other people to make alliances
but the mod looks really fun. Ive been waiting for this type of game done well forever. Ive been looking forward to h1z1 also
idk ive been looking for an good mmo, i tried guild wars... wasn't for me
Should i buy the mod?
View Quote

What the fuck are you talking about?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:06:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The mod sucks and the stand alone is worse.  Don't buy it.  The mod is plagued with cheats and bugs since it is client side so anyone can hack.  I tried it and had to quit playing due to cheating.
View Quote

Servers with active admins are pretty much the only way to go.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:11:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$40 is a bit pricey, I got it when it was on for ~$25 bundled. If you get it try and find a good whitelisted server with good active admins and you wont have too many hack/cheat problems. The biggest complaint I have with the game is alot of the good servers make their money by selling donator packages with bases and armored vehicles and OP stuff. It's their server, but it takes alot of the fun out of having to work your character/team up to being powerful.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#11]
my pos computer wont run it.

so, i just go on the youtubez and watch other people play it.  and its cheaper that way.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:15:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I play the standalone occasionally still.

I guess if you don't like holding people at gun point, making them remove their pants, handcuffing them and force feeding them disinfectant you should look for another game.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:27:28 AM EDT
[#13]
The game isn't even finished yet.  Why pay money to be an alpha tester?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:43:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The game isn't even finished yet.  Why pay money to be an alpha tester?
View Quote

It's an investment. Pay $30 now, or pay $50 later.

Currently, DayZ is in pretty good shape, all things considered. There are good weapons, spawns are acting correctly for once, and server persistence is slowly, but surely, being implemented. With every build there is new stuff and improvements, but also new bugs. For example, in the most recent patch (.49) they introduced a mechanic for body temperature. If you're wet from standing in the rain or your clothing is damaged from combat, you will lose body heat and risk illness. However, melee combat has been going through some changes and is really finicky right now. Zombies also seem to damage most jackets and vests in one or two hits, which is a real pain in the ass with the body temperature mechanic.

All in all, DayZ is an entertaining game to say the least, and I'm confident it will only get better. Some people think DayZ will fail and you'll never see your $30 again, but I think thats bullshit since Bohemia Interactive has investment millions of dollars in this game.

Personally, I also think the game will get better with Dean "Rocket" Hall quits the project at the end of this year. He's been very vocal about leaving to go do bigger and better things, but quite frankly, it seems he just doesn't have that passion for the game anymore.

I say buy it. I think the investment is worth the very little risk.

One final note, however, there is another zombie survival game coming out called H1Z1. It has been hyped up and down the internet, and looks awesome, but who knows when it's going to come out. When it does come out, it will be a $20 early access game, or you can wait for the final release, which will be free to play. If you're on the fence about DayZ and you make it another month or two, H1Z1 will hopefully be out by Thanksgiving.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:55:37 AM EDT
[#15]
So, a question for the people that have played the Standalone version.

How big of a difference will it make when they implement vehicles into the game? Will it then become worth the money?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:10:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So, a question for the people that have played the Standalone version.

How big of a difference will it make when they implement vehicles into the game? Will it then become worth the money?
View Quote

It's worth the money now, frankly, simply because of the investment value, and vehicles will just make it more interesting... if they implement the features they're hoping for.

Tactically, I think vehicles are a waste of time in game. They're too loud, too obvious, and they're targeted specifically because of their perceived value to the majority of other players.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:34:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I guess if you don't like holding people at gun point, making them remove their pants, handcuffing them and force feeding them disinfectant you should look for another game.  

View Quote

Bro, he is asking about a game...not real life.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:38:51 AM EDT
[#18]
The ship sailed on dayz.

Even Rocket bailed.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:42:53 AM EDT
[#19]
good info,IMHO the mod is 10x more fun than standalone at this point in time and well worth the small price invested. Have fun,thanks http://bit.ly/1pFqtfC
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:50:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't know about anything newer than the Arma2 mod but that game was fun. The fact that when you died you lost everything made people do crazy shit.

DayZ is in my top five all time favorites, a can of beans a pack flares and all is good.

That is the only game that actually made me not trust anyone. The moment you enter a room and there is someone there, nobody does anything, then you shoot him in the head and loot the beans.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:01:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I am monitoring this thread intently.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:09:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The ship sailed on dayz.

Even Rocket bailed.
View Quote

Who is Rocket?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:46:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Who is Rocket?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The ship sailed on dayz.

Even Rocket bailed.

Who is Rocket?

The programmer
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:25:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Game is beyond terrible. You spend 10 hours getting equipment, and then you walk up some stairs and take damage. You start bleeding from a broken leg from "fall damage" and die in a few minutes. The devs have pretty much abandoned the game because they already made the bulk of their money. It was a cash grab that used the mod as a stepping stone, and now it is garbage. The end.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:40:29 AM EDT
[#25]
It was fun when people were somewhat civil and went on zombie hunts for equipment. Now? Forgettaboutit.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Game is beyond terrible. You spend 10 hours getting equipment, and then you walk up some stairs and take damage. You start bleeding from a broken leg from "fall damage" and die in a few minutes. The devs have pretty much abandoned the game because they already made the bulk of their money. It was a cash grab that used the mod as a stepping stone, and now it is garbage. The end.
View Quote

Nonono, after a few tries you will learn that you can get 100% geared up in 2 hours max, AK47 with drum mag etc..  You will learn how to avoid glitches.  The problem with the standalone is the lack of endgame, no base building, vehicles or trade.  You need to get the mod and play overpoch, it has an obscene amount of guns, vehicles that you can buy and trade, and base building.  Watch some videos from FrankieonPCin1080p
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:22:45 AM EDT
[#27]
crawl around on your belly for 7 hours to find nothing but a can of beans and then get sniped by some asshole from a quarter of a mile away. game is horrible. do not buy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top