Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/8/2005 5:44:48 PM EDT
Why does it only seem to inhabit the AM radio stations?

It would seem that as though FM would reach a broader audience through better reception.

Anyone know?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:50:34 PM EDT
Rush revived AM. It was the only place he could get on at first. Then, after he took off, Am came to see that talk was their only format left that would attract listners.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:51:29 PM EDT
I pick a FM radio station that is all talk. They have all three hours of Neal Boortz.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:53:28 PM EDT
They do FM in some markets
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:57:23 PM EDT
We now have at least 2 FM stations doing talk. Think we'll see a trend of more & more moving to FM.

It's great to hear it clearly, as opposed to having to pick up an AM station a hundred miles away.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:04:50 PM EDT
Daytime AM radio was a wasteland before Rush came long. Your typical AM station was all sports or some sort of gospel station that was run out of a hovel of a studio, stocked with 2nd run tapes and outdated music charts. And then there were (and still are) the totally insane preachers who seem to inhabit at least one low power AM station in every region of the South... but I could drone on about that aspect of the AM band. Most AM stations still fall into the gospel/insane preacher/horribly-outdated-country-music category.

I do remember listening to Talk NET at night on the AM side of the dial. It was one of the few national talk shows on the radio in the eighties. A lot of professional advice-givers got their early start on Talk NET.

Galland
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:47:39 PM EDT
Okay - back to my question.

We all know that talk radio is popular. Why hasn't it moved to the FM side?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:52:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Johnny_Reno:
Okay - back to my question.

We all know that talk radio is popular. Why hasn't it moved to the FM side?

Because ClearChannel says so.

But seriously, CC owns several staions here in town, AM and FM.
My guess is they would rather use mono-broadcast AM radio for talk, sports, etc., and save FM stereo broadcast for music.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:05:37 PM EDT
Not meaning to hijack this thread- does satellite radio have talk radio shows without commercials? It seems that there are like 2 min of program and then 10 min of commercials. Would satellite radio be a good choice? For me, it gets extremely frustrating to try to listen to Rush, et al and filter out the commercials. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:11:32 PM EDT
I like Talk Radio
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:15:42 PM EDT
WCCO 830am here in Minnesota is 50,000 watts of Clear Channel talk radio
Top Top