Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 5:13:05 AM EDT
Just heard in channel 8 news <dallas> that Pres Bush has declared  all of TEXAS a disaster zone/area ..."to make money avaible for countys dealing with refugees"

how else does this affect the residents?

life as normal?

any delay in gun buys?

restrictions on gun buys?

does this affect or not affect the avg joe.. ?

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:14:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just heard in channel 8 news <dallas> that Pres Bush has declared  all of TEXAS a disaster zone/area ..."to make money avaible for countys dealing with refugees"

how else does this affect the residents?

life as normal?

any delay in gun buys?

restrictions on gun buys?

I'm glad to see you have your priorities straight.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:15:08 AM EDT
[#2]
last year in some areas when this was called on  some places stopped selling,ammo,guns, achohol!
some even by order from the county hi ups.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:16:23 AM EDT
[#3]
:)

just finaly have enough to replace some I sold recently when i needed money...

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:41:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Just heard on Fox that the Red Cross now has $350 million in donations.. Wiith another $100 million beign promised by a company called Cutters.

Woot... Raises and new office equipment for everybody.....

When my friend Bob' house was flooded and knocked off its foundation here in NH last year. The Red Cross showed up and gave him a cleanup kit. That was consisting of a mop, bucket. and a gallon of bleach. No food, drinking water, or clothing.

How much do you want to bet that the materials were donated to the Red Cross and the Red Cross reported its value to be $500 on their tax accounting.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:51:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Pretty sure the $100 million is from the country of Qatar...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:52:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Actually we were declared a disaster recovery area.  The only thing that does for us is make the local governments eligible for reimbursement for costs related to sheltering the evacuees from Louisiana.  It does nothing else as far as your everyday life is concerned.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:52:33 AM EDT
[#7]
IIRC, declaring an area to be in a "disaster" triggers Federal funds and allows the state to use Federal resources.  This is a requirement under the law that governs the response.  Much the same as the "emergency" or whatever New Mexico and Arizona declared a few weeks ago to deal with illegals.

G
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:55:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:57:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Can I go pick up some MREs somewhere?  I'm in need.....
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:00:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

These people aren't eating MREs anymore.  Locally they are getting 3 hot meals a day.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:04:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just heard on Fox that the Red Cross now has $350 million in donations.. Wiith another $100 million beign promised by a company called Cutters.

Woot... Raises and new office equipment for everybody.....

When my friend Bob' house was flooded and knocked off its foundation here in NH last year. The Red Cross showed up and gave him a cleanup kit. That was consisting of a mop, bucket. and a gallon of bleach. No food, drinking water, or clothing.

How much do you want to bet that the materials were donated to the Red Cross and the Red Cross reported its value to be $500 on their tax accounting.

When we got flooded out in 1996, that was all we got too.  a clean up kit.  They should have just given me a gas can to burn it down .
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:35:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

These people aren't eating MREs anymore.  Locally they are getting 3 hot meals a day.  

What time is lunch?  All I had for breakfast was cereal.  I'm starting to get hungry.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:38:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You know, if YOU were on the road, I'd grab a few cases for you
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:45:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Screw that!   It isn't fair!
My wife only cooks one hot meal a day.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Actually we were declared a disaster recovery area.  The only thing that does for us is make the local governments eligible for reimbursement for costs related to sheltering the evacuees from Louisiana.  It does nothing else as far as your everyday life is concerned.

Roger that.  It's only purpose is to gain relief funds.

Exactly. When they make those kind of declarations, local governments become eligible for reimbursement of OT, supplies expended, some equipment, etc. that would otherwise impact their daily budgets.

While most local governments have enough contingency funds built in for "minor" emergencies, helping out on something this big can get VERY costly, VERY fast. Doing a speedy cost breakdown, it would cost us about $50-60K to send 10 cops or firefighters to the disaster area for a week, and that is assuming they camped out and had no lodging costs, and that local officials supplies them with most of their water, food and fuel.

Even running a local evacuee center is going to eat up OT budgets, deplete stocks of emergency supplies, and generally cost a bunch. Most Texas governments run on an October to September FY, and most have already burned through all of their budgeted money for the year. Any money left over generally has been shifted to fuel budgets, because I don't think ANYONE anticipated how much fuel costs were going to rise, and most fuel budgets for most local governments ran out last Spring and have been getting covered from other accounts.

I really hate the fact that I know all of this stuff (though I am by no means a budget "expert"). Things used to be so much simpler...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder who's cooking...

There are worse things to eat in life than MREs, and alot of them come out of green mermites....
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:19:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, if YOU were on the road, I'd grab a few cases for you

Brother, if I knew where to get some, I'd keep a few cases aside for you.
I've asked around, no luck yet.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:24:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder who's cooking...

There are worse things to eat in life than MREs, and alot of them come out of green mermites....

The Salvation Army is providing meals for all the evacuees, volunteers and EOC staff.  Yesterday we had 5 huge pits cooking brisket and chickens.  These people are being fed well and taken care of.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The Salvation Army is providing meals for all the evacuees, volunteers and EOC staff.  Yesterday we had 5 huge pits cooking brisket and chickens.  These people are being fed well and taken care of.  

That's really excellent!  I was only talking about MRE's for ME, living in a Disaster area and all,
I could use a few cases "just in case"  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#20]
The entire state of Illinois was declared a disaster area due to severe drought this summer.  There is no impact on anyone except farmers.

It isn't like declaring martial law.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top