Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 11:03:16 AM EDT
It has happened before, will happen again.  Will humanity survive?  Will you survive.  Most likely we will have fair warning but as it stands there's nothing on the board to prevent the inevitable.

What would the event look, sound, feel like?  What will you do in preperation.  

Lets face it..  This planet will be destroyed by the sun when it dies anyway, will we relocate before that or a cosmic collision wipes us out?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Survival Forum is THAT way.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the dark side. MRE's and 55-gallon drums of water are on your left, stockpiles of firearms on the right. Enjoy your stay and don't step in the SHTF.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I think there will be this loud boom with a flash of light.  and of course about 30 duplicate topics in GD with a few pics and some video
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Remember the dinosaurs?

Yeah, like that. Even if you have a well-stocked hunker with NBC filtering, if a Texas-sized asteroid hits us... the survival rate isn't good.

I've heard that even a Rhode Island sized asteroid would be like 200,000 Hiroshima-sized bombs going off at once.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#6]
The one that did in the dinosaurs was estimated to be about two miles in diameter, IIRC..  One the size of TX would probably tear the planet in half, or at least knock us out of our normal solar orbit as well as kill everything except virus' and cockroaches..
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:20:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The one that did in the dinosaurs was estimated to be about two miles in diameter, IIRC..  One the size of TX would probably tear the planet in half, or at least knock us out of our normal solar orbit as well as kill everything except virus' and cockroaches..

Great, the Democrats will run the world
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:21:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Lets face it..  This planet will be destroyed by the sun when it dies anyway, will we relocate before that or a cosmic collision wipes us out?

When the sun goes red giant the effective gravity will lessen and the earths orbit will increase dramatically.  The temperature will drop dramatically.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, Since I'm only going to live for 900 years or so,  odds are, it won't be a factor for me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When the sun goes red giant the effective gravity will lessen and the earths orbit will increase dramatically.  The temperature will drop dramatically.  

Won't the sun expand as the gravity that keeps it so dense lets it expand beyond the orbit of Mars?

How much hydrogen is left?  When will the sun begin its decay?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#11]
we'll figure out how my hydrogen is left as soon as we can figure out a way to put a dipstick into the sun
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great, the Democrats will run the world

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:26:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
we'll figure out how my hydrogen is left as soon as we can figure out a way to put a dipstick into the sun

Simple, do it at night.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#14]
http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/impacteffects/

Put in specifics at this site, and you can see what different size rocks would do to the earth.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I think there will be this loud boom with a flash of light and a hearty HiHo Sillllveeer... and of course about 30 duplicate topics in GD with a few pics and some video

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Remember the dinosaurs?

Yeah, like that. Even if you have a well-stocked hunker with NBC filtering, if a Texas-sized asteroid hits us... the survival rate isn't good.

I've heard that even a Rhode Island sized asteroid would be like 200,000 Hiroshima-sized bombs going off at once.

Not that big. 5 miles across ought to do it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Won't the sun expand as the gravity that keeps it so dense lets it expand beyond the orbit of Mars?

How much hydrogen is left?  When will the sun begin its decay?

The less dense the sun becomes the lower its gravity becomes.  The lower its gravity is, the larger our orbit becomes.  Yes it will eventually grow to suck up what is now mars and possibly the asteroid belt but by that time our orbit will be well past that of the current saturn orbit.  We may end up in the oort cloud or worse.

Dont worry though.  Humanity will blink out of existance far before we get any of the stellar quakes that precede a status change.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It has happened before, will happen again.  Will humanity survive?  Will you survive.  Most likely we will have fair warning but as it stands there's nothing on the board to prevent the inevitable.

We'll be OK, as long as somebody keeps feeding quarters into the slot.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#19]
According to Revelations we survive it, but not a whole lot of us and it gets really ugly.  Seriously, it is MO that is what is described.  Interesting, esp after I learned about the demise of the dinosaurs occurring in the same fashion.  

Now I guess we can take it to the Survival and the Religion Forums!

ETA:  According to Revelations we do leave Earth for another home, "New Heaven and a new Earth" and IMO even desribes a large craft decending from space onto our new home.   Fascinating stuff.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#20]
i would bang evey chick in sight
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top