Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2013 11:50:22 AM EDT
We had a visiting Brother at Lodge last night.  As SW I went out gave him an exam, checked his dues card and brought him in.  Very nice young man.  From a jurisdiction south of here.  (I don't want to state where.  No need to push any hurt feelings on anyone.).

Afterward, several of us were talking to him.  He was telling us how things were different and we were asking questions.  He stated he was surprised we allowed Prince Hall Masons in Lodge.  He was especially surprised we let one act as our JD.  I told him there were no Prince Hall Masons present.  Every man in the Lodge was a member of our Lodge.  He was shocked that this was the case.  Again, he was very polite and didn't say or do anything not Masonic.

I was surprised there are still places where these are acceptable Masonic beliefs.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 3:48:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you mean that the brother had no experience with mixed race lodges.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 5:40:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Unfortunately, here in Texas as in many other areas, black men tend to join Prince Hall and men of other races tend to join regular masonry.  (There are a limited number of black men in regular Masonry in Texas.)  Part of that is tradition among black men and part of it is the fact that we had a problem with old school racism among the old timers in the past.  I'm not about to suggest that it is fixed but the situation is better.  The GL of Texas does now recognize Prince Hall.  However, inter-visitation is not allowed.  The situation is no longer purely a racial one.  The complicated history of relations between PH and us along with ignorance about each other is currently more of a stumbling block than racism.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That guy is banned, someone will be along to edit that soon.
View Quote

Damn, thank god get that shit outta here.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I guess I missed whatever happened.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 8:22:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Did I miss our first Arfcom Lodge #5.56 expulsion?
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 6:32:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

What the hell happened ?
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:58:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Grand lodge of Georgia doesn't recognize any prince hall lodge. Prince hall lodges don't recognize us either.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#10]
This topic opened an opportunity for some masonic education.  I asked our LEO (lodge education officer) about this and found out that The Grand Lodge of Missouri recognizes Prince Hall and inter-visitation is allowed.  Sounds like an opportunity to go visiting to me.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This topic opened an opportunity for some masonic education.  I asked our LEO (lodge education officer) about this and found out that The Grand Lodge of Missouri recognizes Prince Hall and inter-visitation is allowed.  Sounds like an opportunity to go visiting to me.
View Quote

I attended three MO GL Annual Communications during my time in the chairs at Riddick #361 in Buffalo. The MWGM of the MO PH GL is always in attendance and most warmly recognized and welcomed. The old school segregationist attitudes are dying although in some places not quickly enough. There may be ritual differences but I will always consider PH Masons as my Brothers.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 2:44:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i have met a ton of prince hall masons here. most approached me first. everyone of the called me brother gave me a hug and we had a great conversation afterwards.

first time it happened i was working in a LGS part time. real thuggy looking kid walked and. he was rough enough we all were looking for our sidearms thinking we were about to get robbed. i walked to "help him" and he notice my ring. grabbed my hand and gave me the grip. we started talking and it was funny as hell watching the other employees expressions as i went from ready to draw to cutting up with with this kid in about 2sec. i ended up selling the kid a gun and when he left the owner asked me wth that was all about. i told him the kid was ok and don't sweat him. he asked me if i knew him and i say no, but he is a brother mason and thats all i needed to know.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top