Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2018 10:20:31 PM EDT
I had an Asus republic of gamers laptop that I was using for my main editing workhorse; Lightroom, elements, hdr soft, etc..., and them an iPad 2 for travel editing.
The Asus has died.  The iPad, while functional with Lightroom CC and Snapseed for editing, I’m not easy to use as the main editing powerhouse because I can’t find a way for it to not resize all of my pictures from 15+mb down to kB sizes.

So looking to upgrade to something a little more powerful, faster, and that hopefully won’t resize all of my files.

I’ve read a bunch of online reviews and they all come back 50/50 for each platform. So when in doubt, ask Arfcom.

Suggestions?
Experiences?
Failures?

Go.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 7:03:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a Surface Pro 4 for work. I do some video editing but not much.
Gaming - a desktop I built.
Typing this on an IPad Pro which I use most of the time for presentations for work, surfing and emails.
The new IPad Pro - get a keyboard and mouse to make it work like a Surface Pro.
Surface Pros suck for gaming and need 8 gig memory minimum and a 500 gig ssd. Like the Apple - they are not expandable since the ssd and memory are soldered in.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 7:10:25 AM EDT
[#2]
The new iPads are light years better this than the 2.  I don’t do photo editing cannot speak to that.  Apple announces a new iPad this week or next at their event in nyc. If it gets the same processor speeds as the iPhone it will be an extreme improvement.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 7:13:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Using a 12.9 Pro now. I do not do video editing, but for surfing, emails, VPN to my equipment it works well. And it plays PUBG mobile well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 7:45:49 AM EDT
[#4]
The big thing is that iPads aren’t color calibrated... yet.  Adobe is putting out a ‘full’ version of Photoshop for iPad Pro this upcoming year at least.  But the big thing is if the colors are accurate.

I use an iPad Pro when traveling, since the full adobe suite has versions for it.  I always check color when I get home though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a Surface Pro for editing on the road (which is really a few times a year for 7-10 days each). My workflow is to ingest the photos to external drive, cull the photos to "selects" onto a microSD (now the selects are in multiple locations), and edit as time permits (like for "share it now" shots on Facebook or other social media). While not on the road, I use my Surface like most iPad users employ their device: surfing, email, ebooks - and it works great as a personal computer during lunch breaks at work (linked to my mobile phone hotspot).  

I really like having a full computer OS in mobile form and the Surface Pro works great for my needs. It's definitely not as fast at photo editing as my beefy desktop which continues to serve as my primary editing station, but the ability to cull and edit with a full version of Lightroom and Photoshop while on the road is very nice. I picked the Surface over competing brands/units primarily due to form factor, but I'll admit a bit of brand loyalty as I've been a Surface user since the first model was released. I have done some comparison shopping when doing upgrades (twice now) and I didn't find a compelling reason to switch to a different unit (though price came very close to a tipping point on the last upgrade).
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use a Surface Pro for editing on the road (which is really a few times a year for 7-10 days each). My workflow is to ingest the photos to external drive, cull the photos to "selects" onto a microSD (now the selects are in multiple locations), and edit as time permits (like for "share it now" shots on Facebook or other social media). While not on the road, I use my Surface like most iPad users employ their device: surfing, email, ebooks - and it works great as a personal computer during lunch breaks at work (linked to my mobile phone hotspot).  https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_wink.gif

I really like having a full computer OS in mobile form and the Surface Pro works great for my needs. It's definitely not as fast at photo editing as my beefy desktop which continues to serve as my primary editing station, but the ability to cull and edit with a full version of Lightroom and Photoshop while on the road is very nice. I picked the Surface over competing brands/units primarily due to form factor, but I'll admit a bit of brand loyalty as I've been a Surface user since the first model was released. I have done some comparison shopping when doing upgrades (twice now) and I didn't find a compelling reason to switch to a different unit (though price came very close to a tipping point on the last upgrade).
View Quote

I've been running on either XP on a desktop, or Win 8 on a laptop, on old chipsets.  I'll bet the new surface 6 has to be faster.  
Did you always use MicroSD or switch to because of the built in reader?
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#7]
It's secondary storage on the Surface and separate from the external drive used for initial ingest. This gives me two copies of photos while preserving space on the internal drive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top