Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2015 1:25:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, these were specially modified S&W Model 29s. They had issues; they were closely fitted to eliminate the cylinder gap, and due to this cylinder drag would freeze the gun up after 5-6 shots. I don't believe they were used much outside of testing; the average tunnel rat had an M1911, a knife, and a flashlight.

The VC did make at least some limited use of suppressed Nagant revolvers; there's a captured one in the CIA museum.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#2]
The gun in the picture isn't a model 29; it has fixed sights and an exposed ejector and a lanyard loop, making it either an M & P .38 (i.e., model 10) or a Model 1917.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I know I am probably wrong but my first thoughts were it was a 1895 nagant pistol
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The gun in the picture isn't a model 29; it has fixed sights and an exposed ejector and a lanyard loop, making it either an M & P .38 (i.e., model 10) or a Model 1917.
View Quote

Hmm, you're right. It's probably a modified Victory Revolver in .38SPL (aka an M&P).
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#5]
That actually looks like it might be a captured suppressed Nagant 1895 like someone mentioned above.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That actually looks like it might be a captured suppressed Nagant 1895 like someone mentioned above.
View Quote

It's not. The Nagant has a large rod under the barrel to eject the empty cases, as the Nagant has a fixed cylinder and is loaded through a loading gate. The revolver in the picture definitely doesn't have the ejector rod.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's not. The Nagant has a large rod under the barrel to eject the empty cases, as the Nagant has a fixed cylinder and is loaded through a loading gate. The revolver in the picture definitely doesn't have the ejector rod.

<a href="http://s747.photobucket.com/user/MVolkJ1975/media/Milsurps/revolvers.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx116/MVolkJ1975/Milsurps/revolvers.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s747.photobucket.com/user/MVolkJ1975/media/Milsurps/revolvers.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx116/MVolkJ1975/Milsurps/revolvers.jpg</a>

Looks like it does to me ?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too.... that and the lanyard loop are what led me to think it might be a Nagant.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:05:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not seeing anything like the Nagant's ejector rod there. Also, the front of the frame is off; the revolver in the picture has a completely square front, where the front of the Nagant's frame curves back after the ejector rod.

It looks pretty much exactly like a .38SPL Victory to me.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I right clicked on the picture, hit view picture, and zoomed in.  Looks a lot more like a S&W to me,  the square of the frame, the curve of the trigger guard.  Unless the nagant has a different version with more S&W like features of the frame and trigger guard.   Hard to be definitive.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I right clicked on the picture, hit view picture, and zoomed in.  Looks a lot more like a S&W to me,  the square of the frame, the curve of the trigger guard.  Unless the nagant has a different version with more S&W like features of the frame and trigger guard.   Hard to be definitive.
View Quote

You're right.  Looking at it bigger, it does look like a Smith.  Field-expedient "not quite as fucking loud" tunnel gun maybe....
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I couldn't imagine shooting anything inside a small tunnel like that.

Your ears must be ringing permanently after that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#14]
There were also suppressed cartridges.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I found this one on another forums.

They said it was used for "Quiet Special Purpose Revolver for use in tunnel warfare."

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#16]

My first thought was a Jayant revolver, then I saw the pic someone posted with two of them and I'm convinced. Look at the second one and compare

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I found this one on another forums.

They said it was used for "Quiet Special Purpose Revolver for use in tunnel warfare."

http://www.fototime.com/735955583656D1D/orig.jpg
View Quote

This one was cool. the ammo was silent. It fired several pellets or disks propelled by a piston over the propellent in the case. There was no sound because the gases were trapped in the brass.The mil experimented with silent rifle rounds too.

I still think if someone could bring it to market it might get past supressor laws.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You're right.  Looking at it bigger, it does look like a Smith.  Field-expedient "not quite as fucking loud" tunnel gun maybe....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or a flash hider, one would think preserving night vision would be critical to a Tunnel Rat.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was fascinated by those mini gernades pictured in this month's American Rifleman.  
View Quote

SW Combat Masterpiece?
J-Frame?
Looks like its got a lanyard loop on it..
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Tunnel Rats had BIG BALLS !!!

No way you'd ever get me inside one of those holes.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No--real gernades.  Little bitty bastards, appeared to be the size of a ping pong ball.  Cool as hell.  It was in an article of obscure and special weapons for MACV-SOG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was fascinated by those mini gernades pictured in this month's American Rifleman.  

SW Combat Masterpiece?
J-Frame?

No--real gernades.  Little bitty bastards, appeared to be the size of a ping pong ball.  Cool as hell.  It was in an article of obscure and special weapons for MACV-SOG.

Yeah I know..hooch poppers.
OP is what I was referring to though.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Oh, sorry!  
View Quote

Naw, my bad!!
Saw the article too..
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Tunnel Rats had BIG BALLS !!!

No way you'd ever get me inside one of those holes.
View Quote

That's the truth for me as well.

Most of the photos you see shows them with the little weak assed right angle flashlight . The ones you have to shake around to get the lame switch to flash weakly on.

Little tunnel built for folks 2/3 the size of you , filled with bobby traps , waiting to see your flashlight before they open up on you . dammed if you have a light , dammed if you don't .

I would work them as best as I could with gas , grenades and explosives from the top and to hell with going in.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Me too.... that and the lanyard loop are what led me to think it might be a Nagant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you look at where the yolk attaches to the frame, it looks like a Smith revolver to me.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thoughts as well.  It doesn't look like a silencer so much as it looks like a flash hider / flash director to keep from blinding the tunnel rat when he fired off a round.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Of course the S & W M&P Model 10 was the standard sidearm issue to Helicopter pilots even in '72 when I was there.  They were very plentiful and common.  That's what it looks like to me.  Silencers weren't that hard to find either.  Vietnamese were very crafty and capable of making almost anything for a few bucks!

BTW, I ditched my. 38 and went to a 1911 .45 cal. sidearm.  Much easier to reload and carry extra ammo for it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I know I am probably wrong but my first thoughts were it was a 1895 nagant pistol
View Quote

It sure looks like one.
It's the one revolver that would make sense to suppress.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

V40s?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SW Combat Masterpiece?
J-Frame?

V40s?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top