Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2015 7:32:29 PM EDT
Guys, I am looking for options to cover the concrete floor of my sunroom.  It is an enclosed patio with a very old (1950's) concrete slab as the floor.  I'd like to just cover it up rather than try to clean it.  The slab has paint drips, caulk, mortar drips, all sorts of stuff all over it.  

I had it covered in a good quality outdoor carpet but the dog pissed all over it and we cannot get the smell out.

We were thinking of some sort of hard surface so the dog pee won't soak in AND we will know she did it and can correct her.  With carpet we do not see it until it's way too late.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Tile
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tile
View Quote

This.

I had outdoor carpeting in mine and can't believe I left it as long as I did.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Large format tiles?

Man-made ceramic or porcelain?

Natural?

By the way, I removed the rug today.  I brush-scrubbed the concrete with a concentrated PineSol solution and vacuumed up the water.  I flooded the surface with Pine Sol, again, and vacuumed it up.  Guess what?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd probably go with porcelain if it gets wet.

What size patio?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Large format tiles?
Does the concrete slab show any signs of cracking/shifting? Make sure to lay a membrane under the tile to separate the slab movement from the tile.

Man-made ceramic or porcelain?

Natural?

By the way, I removed the rug today.  I brush-scrubbed the concrete with a concentrated PineSol solution and vacuumed up the water.  I flooded the surface with Pine Sol, again, and vacuumed it up.  Guess what?
You can still smell the dog pee?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can still smell the dog pee?

Correct!

I washed it again, this time with Simple Green.  That seems to have done the job.  So far, I don't smell the urine.  I will have to watch this situation for a few days.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:45:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Is there any reason not to paint the slab with epoxy paint?  

We could then cover the center of the room with an indoor/outdoor rug?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:03:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

You could epoxy or stained concrete it also, the the prep work is a lot. You would need to surface grind the whole floor most likely to get a smooth clean surface for epoxy to actually stick. Might be able to get away with just an acid wash for prep depending on how bad it is. But if you don't like the epoxy, you can't tile over an epoxy floor without removing the epoxy or using an epoxy surface adhesion coating that would work with your brand of mortar. And not all floor coatings are equal, your best bet is to spend more and get a really high quality system so it will last almost forever.

But I do tile for a living, i would do tile personally, I feel epoxy makes it look more industrial or garage like where tile makes it more home like.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:25:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You could epoxy or stained concrete it also, the the prep work is a lot. You would need to surface grind the whole floor most likely to get a smooth clean surface for epoxy to actually stick. Might be able to get away with just an acid wash for prep depending on how bad it is. But if you don't like the epoxy, you can't tile over an epoxy floor without removing the epoxy or using an epoxy surface adhesion coating that would work with your brand of mortar. And not all floor coatings are equal, your best bet is to spend more and get a really high quality system so it will last almost forever.

But I do tile for a living, i would do tile personally, I feel epoxy makes it look more industrial or garage like where tile makes it more home like.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent post, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:24:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

tile.

paint eventually peels off -- you can do the best surface prep ever and the paint is still coming up.
and after it does peel up, you can just repaint over it -- and you have more work to do.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:55:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

tile.

paint eventually peels off -- you can do the best surface prep ever and the paint is still coming up.
and after it does peel up, you can just repaint over it -- and you have more work to do.

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

tile.

ar-jedi

Excellent!  

Mind if I steal that exact design?  Do you remember the make, model and color of the tiles and grout?

Did you put down a Kerdi layer?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Excellent!  

Mind if I steal that exact design?  Do you remember the make, model and color of the tiles and grout?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

tile.

ar-jedi

http://wopr.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/34676-1/DSCN7731.JPG

Excellent!  

i got cobwebs in my hair while digging around in my crawlspace for you -- you owe me.  

yes, on the kerdi membrane.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#13]

my wife asked me what i was doing on ARFCOM and then saw our tiles, she then reminded me that she recently saw them on Houzz and linked them to her pinterest page...

so here's some more info:
http://www.houzz.com/photos/4330888/Prospect-House-contemporary-bathroom-other-metro

from the comments section:

amanduh622 wrote:
Floor - What are the floor tiles? Who makes them?

PRO
Always by Design
These floor tiles are 2"x4" porcelain by Italian manufacturer Edilcoughi, color: Vail Autumn. The "split face" surface texture is really nice -- both visually, and on bare feet. In person the color range is more subtle than the photo.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top