Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2007 6:24:21 PM EDT
Let's so your list of things you have to deal with that are stupid!

Here's what I've had to deal with today:

1) Just a few minutes ago I went to place an order with a company called Northern Safety Co., Inc for a couple hundred dollars. As with any retail web site you have to register your account. No where on the site is there an icon to click to do so. There's got to be some way to do so but for the life of me I can't find it so I had to place an order with Grainger for items that weren't exactly what I wanted.

If any one else wants to figure out how to do it and make me look like an idiot go for it!   www.northernsafety.com

2) I have a high profile Ground Water Monitoring event coming up next week where I need to sample the ground water from 37 monitoring wells for hydrocarbons...takes about 1-1.5 hours each-you do the math. The material I use is plastic tubing to transfer the water from the well, varoius types of pumps-one of which is called a Peristaltic Pump which requires the use of silicon tubing(imaging the herion addict using that rubber hose to shoot up with) and a multi-parameter metering device to measure such things as pH, Conductivity, Turbidity, Dissolved Oxygen, Oxygen Reduction Potential, & Temp.

I order all the above through an environmental equipment rental company and have to deal with the following:

• tubinging is 3/8 inch outside dimension  (O.D.) but hose barbs on the multi-parameter metering device are 1/2 O.D. (Hose won't fit) and the peristaltic pump requires the use of 1/2 inch O.D. silicon tubing but they send me 1/4 inch O.D. silicon tubing (too small). Should have been sent: 3/8 O.D. tubing with multi-parameter metering device with 1/4 in O.D. hose barbs and 1/2 inch O.D. silicon tubing.

Short sweet and simple...nothing matches up and I have to set my scedule back by one day which really looks bad.

3) Guy that is suppose to be meeting me from the Detriot office leaves me a voice mail yesterday telling me to give hm a call this weekend so he can let me know what items he will need when he arrives Monday afternoon but leaves his office number and not his cell phone number. Checked the company's phone directory online but he didn't list his cell phone number...neither did his supervisor who requested I take the lead on this job. This guy probably spends 75% of his time in the field...you'd think he'd give out his company cell phone number.

4) Last but not least, leaving the office today I get onto to the entrance ramp for I-285 and have the gas pedal to the floor because the ramp is rather a steep upgrade only to top it and find some idiot sitting at the end of the merge lane at a dead stop with his left turn signal on. Slammed on the brakes and swerved right into the emergency lane, went around him, hit the gas again to build up speed and merged into traffic. Unfortunately I was I was in the company vehicle with the logo on the side and couldn't have flipped him off even if I had wanted to.

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Left side, underneath the login dialog:

"New to Northern Safety? Learn More!"

Click that, and you get:

"New to Northern Safety?

We've made it easy for you! You don't need to log-in until you place your order. When you're ready, we'll be here to help you through the process. In the meantime, go ahead and shop!"

Does that help?
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Almost everything related to college, including the majority of the people there.  Thank God I've ran into a couple that were OK guys, or I'd have given up on everybody at school completely.

I have a 400 level Climate class, and get to hear for about 40 out of the 50 minutes, 3 times a week, about global warming and how humans are causing the climate change, and how al gore is doing a good job.  

If nothing else, college has taught me that most teachers will force their personal beliefs on the students and ALWAYS slide the politics angle in on their lectures.  Then they make you write a report about how they are right.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Do your shopping, add the things you want tot buy to the shopping cart, when you check out it gives you the chance to create an account.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#5]
i found this also on there website

if you don't have an e-mail address on file, you can:

Call one of our Customer Service Representatives at 800 . 571 . 4646, 7:30 am to 8 pm ET, Monday - Friday and ask for your temporary password
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#7]
A majority of the calls I respond to........children playing ball in the street - "Well sir i guess i could tell them to go break into cars or something".........my 16 yoa son refuses to get out of bed - "Pour a pitcher of cold water on him ma'am."  "I'm aloud to do that?" she responds.

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Left side, underneath the login dialog:

"New to Northern Safety? Learn More!"

Click that, and you get:

"New to Northern Safety?

We've made it easy for you! You don't need to log-in until you place your order. When you're ready, we'll be here to help you through the process. In the meantime, go ahead and shop!"

Does that help?

Can't log in until you have registered, e.g., set up user name and password.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Almost everything related to college, including the majority of the people there.  Thank God I've ran into a couple that were OK guys, or I'd have given up on everybody at school completely.

I have a 400 level Climate class, and get to hear for about 40 out of the 50 minutes, 3 times a week, about global warming and how humans are causing the climate change, and how al gore is doing a good job.  

If nothing else, college has taught me that most teachers will force their personal beliefs on the students and ALWAYS slide the politics angle in on their lectures.  Then they make you write a report about how they are right.

That must suck! I remember my speech professor at the Univiersity of Maryland telling a student in my class his political beliefs were none of her business...he was there to teach what he knew best. Not to make her political decissions for her. Come to find out after I was out of his class he had liberal leanings. Weird I know.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Do your shopping, add the things you want tot buy to the shopping cart, when you check out it gives you the chance to create an account.

You've got to be shitting me!!!

Oh well, they just lost a $245.67 order to Grainger. Really pisses me off because I really wanted those red lens safety glasses.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
A majority of the calls I respond to........children playing ball in the street - "Well sir i guess i could tell them to go break into cars or something".........my 16 yoa son refuses to get out of bed - "Pour a pitcher of cold water on him ma'am."  "I'm aloud to do that?" she responds.

What kind of work are you in? 911 operator? If so...what time is it?
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I was stationed in Mexico.  We told the new fellows not to pick up the spanish women.  We had one who went to the bars and did his best to score.  He got drug into an alley and had the crap beat out of him by the locals.  I had to smooth out the issue.  Bottom line, he got sent back to the home office, and got a negative mark in his folder.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I was stationed in Mexico.  We told the new fellows not to pick up the spanish women.  We had one who went to the bars and did his best to score.  He got drug into an alley and had the crap beat out of him by the locals.  I had to smooth out the issue.  Bottom line, he got sent back to the home office, and got a negative mark in his folder.

Three kinds of people in the world:

1) Those who learn by reading.
2) Those who learn by watching others.
3) ...the damn fool that just has to piss on the fence to find out for himself.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Went to drop off a large donation of 'good' books to the library today.

Tanigwa at the front desk scolded me not to put the books 'there' and told me to haul them over 'there' where Tanigwa #2 rolled a cart 2 feet from the back to watch me load them on the cart.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Tanigwa at the front desk scolded me not to put the books 'there' and told me to haul them over 'there' where Tanigwa #2 rolled a cart 2 feet from the back to watch me load them on the cart.

What the hell is a "Tanigwa"? And I'm sure only certian carts are rated to handle donated books.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Agreed.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the hell is a "Tanigwa"? And I'm sure only certian carts are rated to handle donated books.

Think, Moisha, Locricia, etc...
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Stupid situations you, personally, have to deal with.  

Just about everything I read in the Arfcom GD.....
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:17:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

You just figured that out huh, I took a course on international human rights taught by a S. African. (White) who bashed the US and extolled S. Africa's human rights accomplishments. Aparently he forgot aparthied. He tried to fail me in that class. Dean wouldn't let him.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You just figured that out huh, I took a course on international human rights taught by a S. African. (White) who bashed the US and extolled S. Africa's human rights accomplishments. Aparently he forgot aparthied. He tried to fail me in that class. Dean wouldn't let him.

I was younger and more naive in '80s going to college, but even then it struck me what a bunch of hippie, left-wing bunch the professors where, and about 25% of the class fell in line like sheep...
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I deal with stupid college students on a regular basis. A few choice examples:

Student complains that her professor is too hard and that almost a quarter of the class is failing (1st semester freshman microbiology). Her quote: "Some of them are even withdrawing from his class because of their grades - Isn't there something very wrong with a professor if everyone can't pass his class?"

During lecture on anatomy of the skin, a black student in class says that black people's hair is an "antenna to God" and that white people's brains accumulate mineral deposits which interfere with their rational and emotional thinking. And she says she has "scientific studies" that prove it.

After a 10 minute break between classes, a student comes back for lab, obviously tweaked up and flying high as a kite, and repeatedly asks me in the middle of class "Can I call you cupcake? Do you mind if I call you cupcake? Can I call you cupcake?"

Female student comes to lab wearing a mesh tanktop, with nothing underneath. Female professor pulls student aside and privately tells her that she's dressed inappropriately and says she can either wear her lab coat for the day or be asked to leave with an unexcused absence. The student accepts the labcoat, wears it during class then returns it to the professor at the end of lab. The professor puts the lab coat on and finds a note stuffed into the sleave of her labcoat with the following words in huge heavy print: "BITE ME".

Student is caught red-handed copying, word-for-word, the questions and answers to a multiple-choice exam and then photocopying his "notes" for other students in class. Professor had given specific directions that no one is to keep any copies of the exam. He gets a zero for the exam and is written up to the administration for academic dishonesty. He disputes it and fights it all the way up the administration insisting that he wasn't taking a copy of the test, he was simply writing word-for-word the questions and answers and then photocopying 3 sets of them... for his own "personal use".

Tip of the iceberg of what I deal with all the time.

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#25]
At work, before we can enter the building, we have to genuflect and chant "hail Boeing ruler of all things that fly" three times before we can enter.  I know, I know it sounds crazy but we got used to it now.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
At work, before we can enter the building, we have to genuflect and chant "hail Boeing ruler of all things that fly" three times before we can enter.  I know, I know it sounds crazy but we got used to it now.
Are you serious?

Sounds like the "Go Best Buy" cheer I've heard of people doing on the anti-Best Buy site I read once.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:42:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah I mention college mainly b/c I have to deal with it constantly.  If we all listed everything that we encounter that is stupid, Sweep would win the prize for the longest thread ever!

Somewhat related to the S. Africa thing, I read some reviews here a while back (can't remember where) about a class that is offered here, African American History or something like that.  Most of the reviews said it was a horrible class and terribly biased, and the vast majority of the students who were saying this were African Americans!  I can only imagine what a living hell that one would be.

Last semester, had a geog. class with a teacher who is the "always happy" type, we were always talking about 3rd world shitholes but basically skipped US/Canada.  To sum that class up, she said "it would be amazing to know what it would be like to live in North Korea".  SEE YA!!!!  LOL

Couple weekends ago I went with a friend who goes to school here and his buddy to go boating on the river.  They were both USMC and at least 1 is an Iraq vet, not sure of the other.  All 3 of us were NCO's.  On the way, there were a bunch of hippies lined up on the side of the road in town, protesting Iraq and all that jazz.  Lets just say the window was rolled down when we drove by.  Hey, we didn't even throw anything!

^ just some more examples of stupid
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I deal with stupid college students on a regular basis. A few choice examples:

Student complains that her professor is too hard and that almost a quarter of the class is failing (1st semester freshman microbiology). Her quote: "Some of them are even withdrawing from his class because of their grades - Isn't there something very wrong with a professor if everyone can't pass his class?"

During lecture on anatomy of the skin, a black student in class says that black people's hair is an "antenna to God" and that white people's brains accumulate mineral deposits which interfere with their rational and emotional thinking. And she says she has "scientific studies" that prove it.

After a 10 minute break between classes, a student comes back for lab, obviously tweaked up and flying high as a kite, and repeatedly asks me in the middle of class "Can I call you cupcake? Do you mind if I call you cupcake? Can I call you cupcake?"

Female student comes to lab wearing a mesh tanktop, with nothing underneath. Female professor pulls student aside and privately tells her that she's dressed inappropriately and says she can either wear her lab coat for the day or be asked to leave with an unexcused absence. The student accepts the labcoat, wears it during class then returns it to the professor at the end of lab. The professor puts the lab coat on and finds a note stuffed into the sleave of her labcoat with the following words in huge heavy print: "BITE ME".

Student is caught red-handed copying, word-for-word, the questions and answers to a multiple-choice exam and then photocopying his "notes" for other students in class. Professor had given specific directions that no one is to keep any copies of the exam. He gets a zero for the exam and is written up to the administration for academic dishonesty. He disputes it and fights it all the way up the administration insisting that he wasn't taking a copy of the test, he was simply writing word-for-word the questions and answers and then photocopying 3 sets of them... for his own "personal use".

Tip of the iceberg of what I deal with all the time.

I am so glad I got live a 'normal' life growing-up, and in a financial position to not have to worry how the 'kids' are going to actually run the USA for the next 40 years or so...

We had a kid caught on tape vandalizing the signs at the entrance of the community, and the parents screamed at the board how their 'precious' kid would not get into 'insert college of your choice' if the HOA pressed charges

There is very little parental skills in this country anymore, just blame someone who catches your kid doing stupid stuff instead of actually raising him/her to know what stupid stuff is.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are you serious?

Sounds like the "Go Best Buy" cheer I've heard of people doing on the anti-Best Buy site I read once.

Dude, c'mon! I'd eat my own guts before I would let a company own me like that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Here's another:

Trying to figure out how to add and subtract time in Microsoft Excell, i.e. 11:57 minus 10:54 = 63 minutes.

Is it possible or are Bill Gates' employess to stupid to figure that one out?
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Here's another:

Trying to figure out how to add and subtract time in Microsoft Excell, i.e. 11:57 minus 10:54 = 63 minutes.

Is it possible or are Bill Gates' employess to stupid to figure that one out?

Format the cell you want the answer in as a number, then make the formula =(time1-time2)*1440
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top