Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2017 11:12:02 PM EDT
Trying to tighten the steering yoke adjustment bolt on my '06 Grand Cherokee in an attempt to fix some popping coming from my steering column, but the bolt is completely rounded off.  It's an external torx bolt and I stupidly tried to use a 12-point socket instead of getting the correct E-torx socket.  I've since gotten the correct socket, but the bolt is too rounded off.  I'm not trying to remove it - just tighten it like a 1/8 to 1/4 turn.  The location makes it just about impossible to get vise grips or similar on it.  Here's what it looks like when it's not stripped.  Any suggestions?  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:15:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe one of universal socket thingees? Gator grip or something like that, I think.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:57:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Pound a smaller one on or use the right external socket and remove it then replace with a new one. If those don't work might get lucky with a pair of vise grips, but definately remove it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:17:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pound a smaller one on or use the right external socket and remove it then replace with a new one. If those don't work might get lucky with a pair of vise grips, but definately remove it.
View Quote
If it's not something you care about, then yeah just pound a slightly smaller 12 point on there and leave it.  I wouldn't even try to recover the socket, just leave it stuck for future adjustments.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I've just about given up on it.  Tried hammering on a smaller socket, but there isn't really any room to hammer it hard enough.  Also tried a bolt extractor socket to see if I could even loosen it, but even that is just stripping it more.  This is after soaking it in PB Blaster yesterday.  The only option I can see at this point is replacing the entire unit.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:58:50 PM EDT
[#5]
"Maybe one of universal socket thingees? Gator grip or something like that, I think."

Tried that as well.  It's stripped too badly and the socket just turns.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:47:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Get a nut that is uncoated or beadblasted/wire brushed clean to remove the coating.

Then you place the nut over the stripped head.
Verify that it has clearance to turn when it is welded onto the stripped head.

Now.......carefully lay a hot bead into the center on the nut, and the stripped head.
You can use a wet rag around the area to help control thermal transfer.

Let it cool down. and test it to see if it holds.

After that...the only things left....live with it, or replace the steering box.
Check to see if you have a steering system rebuilder anywhere around you...may save a few bucks if you replace it.

Here's video that shows what I'm talking about.

_
Bolt Removal the "Right Way" by O'Reilly Fab
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top