Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2009 4:04:50 PM EDT
My 2003 Grand Am with 99,240 miles on it started squeaking for me yesterday afternoon. Engine runs fine, acceleration is fine, braking is fine. Just had it checked up on by a mechanic and the oil changed just under 300 miles ago.  Was even test drove about 1,000 miles ago by an auto dealer to see what they could offer me for trade in value...they commented on how well it was running.

So yesterday, as I'm taking the incredibly curvy road out of campus, i start to hear a squeaky sound. Kinda loud, but not obnoxiously loud. I then realize that as soon as I straighten out the wheel, it stops. Upon further investigation, I realized that this sound is only made when I hold the wheel turning left for more than the distance of, say, turning left at a 4 way intersection. A perfect example would be when I'm on the loop of a highway exit, holding the wheel in a left hand turn position for a slightly longer period of time. Very metallic sounding squeak. Seems to be coming from the tire area.  Wtf is up with my car?

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Put more PS fluid in before you need to buy a new rack?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Why would it only happen when i turned left? Will check PS fluid though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Bearings or CV joint starting go?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Most likely the wear indicator on your brake pads letting you know they are getting low. Either that or you have a wheel bearing going bad.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Brake squealers should be apparent that the noise is due to a brake thing (i.e. obviously squealing when the brakes are applied and doing it very little or not at all otherwise).  I suppose a funky rotor and cornering might cause some squealing from them, but still in most cases it would be obviously brake noise.  I think CV joints going out would usually be a clicking or thumping when cornering rather than squealing or squeaking.  Bearings would more likely cause a sort of ugly, half-grinding sound all the time when driving, or a sort of pulsing sound in town (drive around slowly enough that road noise wouldn't drown it out and your windows down, might make it more apparent).

Have you been keeping track of when it happens?  Does it happen with the car idling out of gear when you turn the wheels or only when moving?  Does it do it when cornering with and without applying the brakes?  Sharp and slight corners?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Brake squealers should be apparent that the noise is due to a brake thing (i.e. obviously squealing when the brakes are applied and doing it very little or not at all otherwise).  I suppose a funky rotor and cornering might cause some squealing from them, but still in most cases it would be obviously brake noise.  I think CV joints going out would usually be a clicking or thumping when cornering rather than squealing or squeaking.  Bearings would more likely cause a sort of ugly, half-grinding sound all the time when driving, or a sort of pulsing sound in town (drive around slowly enough that road noise wouldn't drown it out and your windows down, might make it more apparent).

Have you been keeping track of when it happens?  Does it happen with the car idling out of gear when you turn the wheels or only when moving?  Does it do it when cornering with and without applying the brakes?  Sharp and slight corners?

Definitely no way it can be a bearing. i just had those replaced last summer.

It only happens when I'm moving and taking a  long corner (like the exit of a highway, or long curve in a road) it does not happen when the car is idling and not in gear. will do it with or without applying the brakes.     only when turning left...i can turn right all day no problems.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:32:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely no way it can be a bearing. i just had those replaced last summer.

It only happens when I'm moving and taking a  long corner (like the exit of a highway, or long curve in a road) it does not happen when the car is idling and not in gear. will do it with or without applying the brakes.     only when turning left...i can turn right all day no problems.

Famous last words, you might want to check your bearings.  The ones you put in may not have been good, or if you used a hammer to get them in place, that could have distorted the races or brinelled them or both.  Or maybe you hit a large bump just wrong, or you could have gotten a bad bearing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top