BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For a nightcap,  or aperitif...

The Poles know how to brew... 9.5%,  sweetish, rich and tasty...I usually mix it with a can of Guiness.

http://i.imgur.com/jZSoNUc.jpg" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/jZSoNUc.jpg

Raspberry Framboise mixed half and half with a chocolate stout.  Delicious.

http://i.imgur.com/Rakv55a.png" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/Rakv55a.png
View Quote

I've tried Lambecs in the past and wound up with bad stomach aches. Maybe I would ike the 50/50 mix.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:44:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I like Mackesons Triple Stout.. Unfortunately few stores carry it near me.
https://www.totalwine.com/dynamic/x1000,6pk/media/sys_master/twmmedia/h4d/h9f/14196441350174.png
View Quote

That one looks interesting.  What is it like?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#3]
No porters or stouts tonight. I'm going for quantity to celebrate the Bengals' win so I'm working on my last remaining minikeg of Oberon!

Who Dey!
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:17:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Black Butte Porter is my go to, always available and relatively inexpensive.
View Quote
This and Terminator Stout.

Nick
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:51:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Trying a new one tonight.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#6]

I couldn't make to any of the huge beer stores today so I just picked up Great Lakes Oatmeal Stout.  In Ohio, Great Lakes is everywhere even gas stations. It's okay but waaaaay too hoppy for me like all Great Lakes beers. (I hate hopps.) My favorite food for stouts and porters are smoked oysters.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I just finished up the last of the Yuengling Hershey's Porter.

Debating whether I want to finish the last can of Evil Santa or not.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#8]

There is a Craft Beer event here in Michigan called Cider Dayz at Blakes Orchard the maker of Blake’s cider. And a few years ago the New Holland booth was next to the Founders booth. They were mixing Dragons milk with Rubaeus it was like drinking a Chocolate covered Raspberry
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Tonight on the left, tomorrow on the right!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://i.ibb.co/pyqXs6G/20220128-181941.jpg

I couldn't make to any of the huge beer stores today so I just picked up Great Lakes Oatmeal Stout.  In Ohio, Great Lakes is everywhere even gas stations. It's okay but waaaaay too hoppy for me like all Great Lakes beers. (I hate hopps.) My favorite food for stouts and porters are smoked oysters.
View Quote

I just poured myself my first ever glass of that Oatmeal Stout before sitting back and opening this thread. Picked it up and some sort of Irish Ale from them this weekend. Not bad.

I don't hate hops necessarily, but I hate the death by hops thing that took over the American beer world about 15 years ago.

I've actually had one or two decent IPAs. Those aren't odds I'd normally bother to play, though.

Edit. As for the Great Lakes Oatmeal Stout.... a bit of a disappointment. Too light, more like a Cola in complexity, missing that certain "oomph" and "maltiness" I expect in a stout.

Darnit, and I bought two.

Still way better than an IPA.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 10:57:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I just poured myself my first ever glass of that Oatmeal Stout before sitting back and opening this thread. Picked it up and some sort of Irish Ale from them this weekend. Not bad.

I don't hate hops necessarily, but I hate the death by hops thing that took over the American beer world about 15 years ago.

I've actually had one or two decent IPAs. Those aren't odds I'd normally bother to play, though.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be the West Coast IPAs and anything listed as "American ______", like American Stout (the only Stout I don't like), with the uber high IBUs (International Bitterness Unit).

If you want good, actually drinkable IPAs, stick with New England/Hazy IPAs, Milkshake IPAs, and Double/Triple IPAs. All generally have pretty low IBUs but still retain various hop flavor or are more malt forward.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:01:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That would be the West Coast IPAs and anything listed as "American ______", like American Stout (the only Stout I don't like), with the uber high IBUs (International Bitterness Unit).

If you want good, actually drinkable IPAs, stick with New England/Hazy IPAs, Milkshake IPAs, and Double/Triple IPAs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want good, actually drinkable IPAs, stick with New England/Hazy IPAs, Milkshake IPAs, and Double/Triple IPAs.

Best IPA I've ever had was actually German!

Spencer makes an IPA, and I'm tempted to try it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've tried Lambecs in the past and wound up with bad stomach aches. Maybe I would ike the 50/50 mix.
View Quote

Lambics have live yeast, (as do most of the craft brews)...once you're... err...vaccinated by drinking one,  your gut becomes immune...'specially if you wear a mask whilst drinkin...heh
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:19:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about that... I don't venture over to the foreign beer side often since there's so much domestic to try but I'll stop by my store and check if they have it. I know they carry Spencer.

It's an international store. They have a lot to chose from.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#15]

That mint one looks awesome!
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:26:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How about that... I don't venture over to the foreign beer side often since there's so much domestic to try but I'll stop by my store and check if they have it. I know they carry Spencer.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/jungle_jim_s_eastgate_beer_jpg-2258290.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/jungle_jim_s_eastgate_beer_jpg-2258290.JPG

Is this the Giant Eagle outside of Medina?  I miss the beer selection in Ohio.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:30:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Edit. As for the Great Lakes Oatmeal Stout.... a bit of a disappointment. Too light, more like a Cola in complexity, missing that certain "oomph" and "maltiness" I expect in a stout.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to the club. Try Young's Oatmeal Stout and Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. Yes, Great Lakes sucks and too watery like you said. I only bought it because I live in the sticks and the little store I went to only had it. Making the run to one of the best selection stores in the US maybe next week. I will post pictures next week.

I would drink my own piss before I would drink an IPA! I hate hopps!
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:46:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Reminds me of Beers of the World.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:46:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Welcome to the club. Try Young's Oatmeal Stout and Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. Yes, Great Lakes sucks. I only bought it because Iblive in the sticks and the little store I went to only had it. Making the run to one of the best selection stores in the US maybe next week. I will post pictures next week.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to the club. Try Young's Oatmeal Stout and Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. Yes, Great Lakes sucks. I only bought it because Iblive in the sticks and the little store I went to only had it. Making the run to one of the best selection stores in the US maybe next week. I will post pictures next week.

I'm pretty sure I've had both in their native environs (and think I may have had a Young's in Mexico last month). I tend to avoid imports, however.

There's a local place, "Old Bust Head Brewery," that make a good Oatmeal Stout, but I favor their Caramel Macchiato variant.

But, Spencer Imperial Stout when I need to get right with God.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:59:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Lambics have live yeast, (as do most of the craft brews)...once you're... err...vaccinated by drinking one,  your gut becomes immune...'specially if you wear a mask whilst drinkin...heh
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha! Yes I know, but I'm afraid to drink enough to get used to it!
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:59:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice shop!
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:15:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jungle Jim's International Market

It's their Eastgate location. I'm about a half hour from it. And you're right, the German/beer heritage of Cincinnati specifically is one of the saving graces of being in this state because I know the weather damn sure isn't.

They have everything.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The Texas BBQ is fucking awesome! It legit tastes like grilled steak, not like BBQ sauce like the BBQ chips we normal have.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:22:32 AM EDT
[#23]
This Big Bad Baptist Chocolate Mint is pretty damn good.

But, as good as it is, and even though it packs more of an ABV punch, I think I still like this better. This is a damn good beer. Like liquid Thin Mints with booze.

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's their Eastgate location. I'm about a half hour from it. And you're right, the German/beer heritage of Cincinnati specifically is one of the saving graces of being in this state because I know the weather damn sure isn't.

They have everything.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/0C9624DB-05CF-4D6F-854D-2A072212EEAD_jpe-2258366.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/3C49DB88-EA28-4857-8E55-220F5CA778EE_jpe-2258368.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/E90EC9AD-3FF6-4388-A62E-7E9294015549_jpe-2258369.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/BDE9BB86-63DC-4489-9704-05D54A586E66_jpe-2258370.JPG

The Texas BBQ is fucking awesome! It legit tastes like grilled steak, not like BBQ sauce like the BBQ chips we normal have.
View Quote

Damn! I love bizarre flavors of chips. Going to need to track some of those down...
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:41:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Damn! I love bizarre flavors of chips. Going to need to track some of those down...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have everything.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/0C9624DB-05CF-4D6F-854D-2A072212EEAD_jpe-2258366.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/3C49DB88-EA28-4857-8E55-220F5CA778EE_jpe-2258368.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/E90EC9AD-3FF6-4388-A62E-7E9294015549_jpe-2258369.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/BDE9BB86-63DC-4489-9704-05D54A586E66_jpe-2258370.JPG

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

mediaFiles/102941/1CC9F9B3-B1D7-45BC-9871-AC74B89CE16E_jpe-2258384.JPG" />

Attachment Attached File

The "Numb And Spicy Hot Pot" smelled like an Indian restaurant and tasted like curry.

The untranslated one was this:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:41:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure I've had both in their native environs (and think I may have had a Young's in Mexico last month). I tend to avoid imports, however.

There's a local place, "Old Bust Head Brewery," that make a good Oatmeal Stout, but I favor their Caramel Macchiato variant.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to try Spencer.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:43:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

They have everything.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have everything.

I would be all over those squid chips!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:43:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This Big Bad Baptist Chocolate Mint is pretty damn good.

But, as good as it is, and even though it packs more of an ABV punch, I think I still like this better. This is a damn good beer. Like liquid Thin Mints with booze.

https://i.imgur.com/Ftdo9Ho.jpg
View Quote

HOLY CRAP 10%!
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:45:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

They were surprisingly decent. A bit fishy and salty with a grilled flavor.

Didn't mean to turn this into a funny Asian potato chip thread.

Quoted:
HOLY CRAP 10%!
View Quote

The Big Bad Baptist Chocolate Mint is 12.9%.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:46:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have everything.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/FBA9552C-B12C-4FF4-9F92-316BBEEECCED_jpe-2258381.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/0AFB2046-24A7-422F-ACA1-A4D41C4E6376_jpe-2258382.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/F674CCE5-C9F5-4A2D-97CC-97ADFDC72FFA_jpe-2258383.JPG

mediaFiles/102941/1CC9F9B3-B1D7-45BC-9871-AC74B89CE16E_jpe-2258384.JPG" target="_blank">https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/1CC9F9B3-B1D7-45BC-9871-AC74B89CE16E_jpe-2258384.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/ED4C57F8-BF58-49DD-A1DA-5AC40A3E596A_jpe-2258385.JPG

The "Numb And Spicy Hot Pot" smelled like an Indian restaurant and tasted like curry.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/528708B5-9EE4-4BC9-9D7B-5078333D992A_jpe-2258386.JPG

Scallop butter garlic!! And I thought I was super excited because Taco Bell is bringing back the Mexican Pizza!
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:47:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Scallop butter garlic!! And I thought I was super excited because Taco Bell is bringing back the Mexican Pizza!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have everything.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/FBA9552C-B12C-4FF4-9F92-316BBEEECCED_jpe-2258381.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/0AFB2046-24A7-422F-ACA1-A4D41C4E6376_jpe-2258382.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/F674CCE5-C9F5-4A2D-97CC-97ADFDC72FFA_jpe-2258383.JPG

mediaFiles/102941/1CC9F9B3-B1D7-45BC-9871-AC74B89CE16E_jpe-2258384.JPG" target="_blank">https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/1CC9F9B3-B1D7-45BC-9871-AC74B89CE16E_jpe-2258384.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/ED4C57F8-BF58-49DD-A1DA-5AC40A3E596A_jpe-2258385.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/528708B5-9EE4-4BC9-9D7B-5078333D992A_jpe-2258386.JPG

Those were pretty good too. Nice garlic flavor, not too fishy.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:48:57 AM EDT
[#32]

If you like Sweet Baby Jesus, they make one called Sweet Baby Java that's pretty solid. Give Terrapin Liquid Bliss a try too if you can find it. Great stuff!
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:49:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File

Wife got them on sale at Wal Mart for 5 bucks a bottle this morning.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:50:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
HOLY CRAP 10%!

That's fine! This is too cool to keep quiet!

13%? I'm too old and a lightweight for that stuff! Maybe 10 years ago when I was in my mid 40s! (Shit, am I that old? Need to get back on the juice! Miss 1980s gyms... )
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:52:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/254555/7FC4A059-6967-407D-A3F6-29DF69711917_jpe-2258391.JPG

Wife got them on sale at Wal Mart for 5 bucks a bottle this morning.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:56:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

13%? I'm too old and a lightweight for that stuff! Maybe 10 years ago when I was in my mid 40s! (Shit, am I that old? Need to get back on the juice! Miss 1980s gyms... )
View Quote

I can handle one a night in the 10%+ range and be mostly okay. Two and I'm going to be staggering around wearing a pith helmet and raving about fuzzy wuzzies.

That Southern Tier chocolate mint stout looks tasty. Will have to see if I can find some; Southern Tier is usually available locally.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:59:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I can handle one a night in the 10%+ range and be mostly okay. Two and I'm going to be staggering around wearing a pith helmet and raving about fuzzy wuzzies.

That Southern Tier chocolate mint stout looks tasty. Will have to see if I can find some; Southern Tier is usually available locally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It may or may not be available. It seems to rotate in and out of availability. I don't see it currently listed on their site.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:05:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Didn't read the thread but stouts should start about ~10% abv and go up.

Get really good about 14%

Anything that is a "stout" at 5% probably isn't worth it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:06:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, I've generally been disappointed by stouts below the 8-10% range and 8 is pushing it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yep, I've generally been disappointed by stouts below the 8-10% range and 8 is pushing it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually,  I dont always look at the alcohol content and will drink any Porter or stout that tastes rich, heavy and/or creamy. But, I'm not drinking 6 of them if they are above 5%. Two maybe three tops for the 8%+. I have had good ones at 5% which were not watered down tasting at all.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 1:42:20 AM EDT
[#41]

The Double Jam is pretty good. Chocolate and berries flavor with plenty of alcohol (11.9%)!
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 2:06:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is my favorite beer.  Young's Double Chocolate Stout is a close second.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:19:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Getting the Super Bowl weekend started!

Attachment Attached File

And what better for a Cincinnati Super Bowl weekend than a Cincinnati dinner.

Attachment Attached File

Who dey!
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:29:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Attachment Attached File

Jesus in Red Velvet Pants chocolate milk stout from Liquid Garage in Trinity, FL.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 11:36:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Decided to watch the Indy trilogy (DID I STUTTER?) in 4K this weekend so this seemed appropriate.

If the label is hard to see...

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:14:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've been drinking stouts and porters for almost 30 years (before that I was a peasant beer drinker). This one is one my absolute favorites:

https://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/DS8_2594-1-THIN.jpg

Samuel Adam's Honey Porter was also a favorite in the 1990s. Although I hate hops, I will put up with a lightly hoppy dark beer. Feel free to tell me about your less/no hops stouts and porters. (Yes, I still like Guinness!)

(This is like my first non-political non-gun post! Feels, weird...)
View Quote
Samuel Smith brews really good stuff.  Have you tried their Taddy Porter?

Link: Samuel Smith - Taddy Porter

This has been one of my top 5 favorite brews for a long time.  

Another incredible brew from Samuel Smith is their "Yorkshire Stingo".  Highly recommend, but it's very difficult to find.

Link: Samuel Smith - Yorkshire Stingo

As a side note, I was able to tour the Samuel Smith brewery and their pub next door (Angel and White Horse) back in 2002.  Awsome experience.  I have a picture of me standing behind the bar at the Angel and White Horse pouring my own Taddy Porter.  We also have a horse shoe from the Samuel Smith stable on our fire place mantle.

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:28:46 AM EDT
[#47]

2020 Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing in Tampa.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#48]
For tonight, may as well watch WW3 kick off with an appropriate beer featuring some armor!

6% is a little light for a stout, IMHO, but the Operation Flintlock varieties have never disappointed.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51878365516_7c7d7e1a4e_b.jpg

2020 Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing in Tampa.
View Quote

@Z09SS
Damn, that looks good!  How is it?  I love Cigar City Maduro, and I also (always) buy their espresso stout if I happen across it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Gave the Yuengling Hershey's chocolate porter a try... missed the mark. Too sweet, little body. Didn't feel like a porter as much as someone trying to make alcoholic Yoohoo (Yoohooch?).

Had the chance to try Tarrapin Beer Company's chocolate milk stout last night. It was very good. Probably one of the better chocolate stouts I've had. Atlanta really did something right here.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top