Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2012 12:52:49 AM EDT
True story:

A gunner in a B-24 Liberator over Italy got struck by a piece of German flak. It didn't hurt him, it just lodged in his flak vest.

When he landed, he pried it from his flak vest, and it turned out it was the part of the shell with the serial number on it

The serial number from the shell matched his GI serial number!

eta This story was from the book "Target Ploesti: View From A Bombsight" by Ted Newby.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 12:55:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
True story:

A gunner in a B-24 Liberator over Italy got struck by a piece of German flak. It didn't hurt him, it just lodged in his flak vest.

When he landed, he pried it from his flak vest, and it turned out it was the part of the shell with the serial number on it

The serial number from the shell matched his GI serial number!

eta This story was from the book "Target Ploesti: View From A Bombsight" by Ted Newby.

flak is schrapnel correct? or am I wrong? reguardless thats creepy
Edit: posted this in the creepy thread but its pretty weird aswell.

I was driving home from my exgfs house at about 3 am one night on hwy 62, i was about to pass an 18wheeler that was in the left lane and only doing 60 (limit was 65 or 70) when I go to look in my passenger side window to change lanes and see an older lady riding shotgun with me bright red curly hair, red dinner type dress, pale with freckles I mean I SAW her clear as day. it happened so fast i saw her for a second if that, it had scared the shit out of me so i had to pull over for a bit to gather myself, when I had gotten home I told my mom what had happened and described the lady to her and she turned whiter than a ghost(appropritely so) and walked to her bed room and came back with a photo of the same woman wearing EXACTLY what I had described, it was my great grandmother whom died when my mother was a teen, if that wasnt creepy enough on that samenight & highway 62 three kids hit a friend of mine head on and all three of the kids died.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 4:29:36 AM EDT
[#2]
flak is schrapnel correct? or am I wrong?

That is exactly correct. The airman's vest was struck by the part of the shell casing that had the shell's serial number.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:14:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Anybody, feel free to add to this thred.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I knew a family growing up who only had two sons.

Both sons drowned on the same reservoir exactly one year apart... No one knows what they were doing at the lake or how they drowned, but both died that way...
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anybody, feel free to add to this thred.

Two of my own:

1) One day when I was visiting my family for Christmas, we went to visit my grandfather in his nursing home. It had been a long time since we were all together, so we decided to take the opportunity to go visit. I flew back home right afterwards, and he passed away when I was on the plane. Glad we got to see him right before the end.

2) When I was in college, the night before a big final, it suddenly occurred to me that if there were a power outage that night, my alarm clock (which was plugged into the wall socket) wouldn't wake me up in the morning. So, for the first time in my life, I set the alarm clock on my cell phone as a backup. Lo and behold, there was a blackout that night. If I hadn't set my cell phone alarm, I would have failed the class.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:24:56 PM EDT
[#6]
My brother-in-law was asleep in the backseat of a car with 3 other passengers.  While trying to outrun a train at a crossing the train hit the car and everyone died but him. Apparently because he was asleep.  10 years later at the same crossing he hit a train and died.  The crossing was only 3/4 mile from his house.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Many years ago my mother bought a bunch of little crosses that had been specially blessed and she went around the house nailing one above each outside door. I thought it was just some routine Catholic thing and didn't bother to ask anything.

Years pass. One day she calls me and asks if I could buy her a Subway sandwich for lunch. I get off work, buy it and bring it to her. Then she asks me if I just arrived or did I arrive earlier, leave, and come back. I say nope.

A few days later she tells me on that day she was downstairs on the computer just starting to watch a new video about the secrets of Fatima when she heard the front door open and footsteps walk down the hall. She was starving for that subway so clicked off the video and came upstairs only to find no one was there.

Then she tells me the reason she bought those crosses years ago is she was hearing doors open and close and footsteps in the house when no one was home. After she put them up it all stopped. She said she thinks the opening door and footsteps on the day I bought the subway was a warning not to watch that video.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top