BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thats a scary but plausible theory.

With no discernible rise in inflation, interest rate increases SHOULD cease/stop.  If what you say is true, they won't.
View Quote
The fed members overwhelmingly supported Clinton over Trump...generational communists...hate the America of our founders....imo
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Buying opportunity. But then, I went through this.

Link Posted: 10/10/2018 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#3]
What's crazy is Trump ran on being against QE and railed against Janet Yellen.

Now he wants to act like a liberal with the Fed.

Nutjob.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What's crazy is Trump ran on being against QE and railed against Janet Yellen.

Now he wants to act like a liberal with the Fed.

Nutjob.
View Quote
Trump controls M3 and the Fed Reserve Rate?
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's been the plan by the fed reserve to keep increasing interest rates, till they tank the economy, and blame Trump for it.

remember - the feds were completely afraid of doing anything with interest rates, and they even bought back their own notes at sales, to keep the economy going for fbho.

now that the dems are not in office, they have nothing to worry about, and have kept raising rates, faster than what they should have.

and now they are begining to see the results they want. a collapsing economy while Trump is in office.

next from the left: See! Trump's policies don't work. WE NEED TO INCREASE TAXES NOW TO SAVE THE ECONOMY!

BASIC INCOME FOR THE POOR NOW! etc....
View Quote
lol so you are a proponent of perpetual 0% interest rates?

The recession was 10 years ago.

And collapsing economy eh??  
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Trump controls M3 and the Fed Reserve Rate?
View Quote
Calling Powell "Crazy" for doing the job he was hired to do is assinine.

Loyalty is not his strong suit.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#7]
If so I will have a good chunk of income freed up to buy when my refinance goes through. Time to pump some sauce into dem gainz.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 6:15:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Trump: "Hey Rand, I hear you want to audit the Fed?"

Rand: "Sure do."

Trump: "Take some IRS and DOJ boys over and have at it."

Fed: "Well fuck..."
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Then what do they do with the cash?  Sure take some profit but then you’ll put it in other securities. Nobody is just going to sit on large amounts of cash.
View Quote
Inflation linked bonds?
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@4v50

Can you please go into more detail?

I mean how does raising interest rates lead to money and credit contraction, besides defaults and people choosing/having to borrow less?  How is it global?  I may have an idea but I could not articulate it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait for the FOMC to raise interest rate by .25% in Dec.  they are taking away the punchbowl and with it, liquidity.  It’s global too.
@4v50

I mean how does raising interest rates lead to money and credit contraction, besides defaults and people choosing/having to borrow less?  How is it global?  I may have an idea but I could not articulate it
Tightens the money supply.   No more free (when it was ZIRP) money with which to buy assets/equities.  Big boys bail have been selling off, leaving the top 5-10% of the gains for the small fish to hold the bag.  Remember the sell offs before the crash of ‘29?   Same thing with the Fed once again tightening the money supply.

By global I mean other central banks are doing the same thing.

Remember too that there is supposed to be three more .25% interest rates increases in 2019.  Cost of servicing loans denominated in USD/FedRes Notes gets more expensive (remember Hungary when they denominated their debt in Swiss Francs but paid in Euros?  Their payments went up 20% when the Swiss franc decoupled from the euro).  The emerging markets are crashing now (Turkey, Iran, Venezuela, Brazil) and it will spread.

Monday doesn’t have to be on a Monday.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Weird thing is, every 10-20 year old on the planet has it loaded on their phone. They have to make $$$ sooner or later I would think. I spend a lot of time in schools, EVERY kid uses it daily.
View Quote
They use it, but dont spend money on it. And advertising is ignored by them as well.

Users != profit
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ehhh we've done this a few times this year? I think it's usually been more than a week tops.
View Quote
Was trying to be facetious.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sure starting to seem like it.  It's been a total blood bath lately for tech stocks in particular.
View Quote
do you understand what gives a stock its value?

serious question
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Tightens the money supply.   No more free (when it was ZIRP) money with which to buy assets/equities.  Big boys bail have been selling off, leaving the top 5-10% of the gains for the small fish to hold the bag.  Remember the sell offs before the crash of ‘29?   Same thing with the Fed once again tightening the money supply.

Remember too that there is supposed to be three more .25% interest rates increases in 2019.  Cost of servicing loans denominated in USD/FedRes Notes gets more expensive (remember Hungary when they denominated their debt in Swiss Francs but paid in Euros?  Their payments went up 20% when the Swiss franc decoupled from the euro).  The emerging markets are crashing now (Turkey, Iran, Venezuela, Brazil) and it will spread.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait for the FOMC to raise interest rate by .25% in Dec.  they are taking away the punchbowl and with it, liquidity.  It’s global too.
@4v50

Fed Funds rate = 2.25% - Inflation CPI-U 2.7% = -0.45% real rate of interest.  Still negative.

Similarly, economic growth rate - increase in M2 = negative as well.  Economy is in recession, but papered over with... paper
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Fed Funds rate = 2.25% - Inflation CPI-U 2.7% = -0.45% real rate of interest.  Still negative.

Similarly, economic growth rate - increase in M2 = negative as well.  Economy is in recession, but papered over with... paper
View Quote
Did it ever come out of the recession? (for any 2 consecutive quarters, not a monthly report here and there)
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Monday again already.... damn
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, I dumped another $4,600 into my S&P 500 fund. That's all I can afford to risk right now.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#18]
It's the stock market...it goes up...it goes down.  No need to put on your tinfoil hats and scream it's the end of the world.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

^this guy fucks.
View Quote
Are you asking about stocks or dating advice?
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#20]
It's still higher than it was at any time during Obama's presidency
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Did it ever come out of the recession? (for any 2 consecutive quarters, not a monthly report here and there)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's never been a real recovery from 2008.  The cheap/free money allowed the buoying of equities, properties and other tangibles.  If you weren't into any of these things, you missed out.  Some Arfcommers made some ducats.  Hopefully they won't lose their gains and The trick is not to be around when the bubble bursts.

BTW, don't trust the BLS statistics on employment/unemployment (look at the increased # of homeless everywhere) as well as inflation.  Go to John Williams' Shadowstats.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Personally, I think it's reaction to finding the hacking chip on the SuperMicro Server Motherboards that started under the Obama administration.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The highlighted rows are when GDP outpaces currency printing:

Attachment Attached File

Check out the total from the last 10 years.  It's all a phony recovery.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I bought SNAP awhile back, so probably.
View Quote
They are saying SNAP has lost 63% since Kylie Jenner tweeted that Snapchat app's redesign sucks.

We're walking on thin ice if the success of a tech stock relies on Kylie Jenner's opinion of it.

Considering how many teens are using Snapchat, they would have to do something insanely stupid to screw it up. Probably haven't found a way to monetize it.

Twitter had the same problem for years and people said it would go nowhere. It's been trending up since mid-2016 so they must have found a way.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Then what do they do with the cash?  Sure take some profit but then you’ll put it in other securities. Nobody is just going to sit on large amounts of cash.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's October. Happens every year. People are cashing in their gains.
Christmas.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Volume's been low though, which is a good sign that the institutions aren't panic selling.
We saw similar pullbacks in early February and late March. The stock market isn't for the skittish.
View Quote
Overall. It's safe to assume the volume's not low on the stocks that took big hits today.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:58:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Correcting.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#29]
The Fed should be abolished.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:12:27 PM EDT
[#30]
One of the issues is the 20 trillion in US Debt!  Every 1% increase is 200 million in extra interest we will pay.   10 year treasury a year ago was 2.4..Now 3.25

What doesn't add up to me is overseas interest rates are negative or way less than 2%
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Long term (lets say 18-36 months), what would you say is the outlook for emerging markets?
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:21:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Wave 1 down.

Quoted:
I'd say this is the beginning of a long painful ride downward, with a few bounces propelling the market temporarily upward along the way.  It ends with home prices below 2008 financial crisis lows on an inflation adjusted basis.  But what do I know...  
View Quote

Quoted:
My body is ready
View Quote
So is SPX.
Quoted:
The market is forward looking.  So, for example, unemployment is 3.9%.  Natural unemployment is just north of 5%.  It has only one direction to go, because it can't go below zero.

But more importantly, the Fed created this economy.  They can take it away.
View Quote
Give it time, they will figure out a way to report negative unemployment.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's if you have the appropriate mix for CPI-U.  Just don't send anyone to college or consume medical care.  You're golden.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Of course it is.

I just moved some funds around to riskier products.

FML

Eta

Or I just bought the dip real heavy.

Not my only funds btw. Experimental Play money
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That's if you have the appropriate mix for CPI-U.  Just don't send anyone to college or consume medical care.  You're golden.  
View Quote
Eventually CPI will be based strictly on a hedonic price adjustment to a can of dog food.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Waiting for Ghina to respond with more tariffs any moment now....

Link Posted: 10/10/2018 11:43:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Long term (lets say 18-36 months), what would you say is the outlook for emerging markets?
View Quote
Wheels will have fallen off.

Stock market is a poor indication of the health of the economy.  Remember those nations we laugh at like Zimbabwe or Venezuela?  Well, their markets reached record highs, but concurrently they had hyperinflation.  Our overseas dollars have yet to flood home here and there is time.  We still have some liquidity in the market and won't go until after Europe falls.  That will push up the dollar as foreigners flee to the safety of the dollar.  Then it's surprise!
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:39:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Stock market is a poor indication of the health of the economy.  Remember those nations we laugh at like Zimbabwe or Venezuela?  Well, their markets reached record highs, but concurrently they had hyperinflation.  Our overseas dollars have yet to flood home here and there is time.  We still have some liquidity in the market and won't go until after Europe falls.  That will push up the dollar as foreigners flee to the safety of the dollar.  Then it's surprise!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crap. My 401 has a heavy investment in emerging markets, and has tanked. That's what I want to sell off for an index fund (among others).
Yes, it's way down.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:46:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Crypto is tanking.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:49:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Crypto is tanking.
View Quote
Possibly just bottoming on the logarithmic trend.  But if it drops below 6000, watch out below.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:54:38 AM EDT
[#41]
It's been overheating a bit, time for some reality for a while.

Interest rates can't stay rock bottom zero forever. We need some trend to more normal rates. Say 5% to 8% home loans at least. That will mean, as some pointed out, that the stock market will lose some people and some money I imagine, for a while.

Maybe I'm up in the night thinking I can get at least a percent or two on money I have in the bank. Not that saving will make me money, I just don't want to lose money on my savings via inflation.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 1:56:07 AM EDT
[#42]
If the futures market is any indication, tomorrow will be even bloodier.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 2:23:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It's been overheating a bit, time for some reality for a while.

Interest rates can't stay rock bottom zero forever. We need some trend to more normal rates. Say 5% to 8% home loans at least. That will mean, as some pointed out, that the stock market will lose some people and some money I imagine, for a while.

Maybe I'm up in the night thinking I can get at least a percent or two on money I have in the bank. Not that saving will make me money, I just don't want to lose money on my savings via inflation.
View Quote
lots of savings accts paying ~1.8 now.    CD’s - 2.5 ish.

You’ll still lose money to inflation, but less.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 2:40:00 AM EDT
[#44]
SELL SELL SELL

I'm not kidding.  You guys who think that you can just sit around and pull in 15 to 20% per year on your stocks in the "markets" are in for a rude 2008-style awakening.  The "market" is not actually a real market.  It's manipulated by insiders, big investment banks, and interest rates and you have no idea what you are really getting into.

Guns, ammo, tobacco, alcohol, food, water, gold, and silver are what you need.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 3:03:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Bull market correction.

However, I have been moving money into bonds over the last 3 months.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 3:04:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's been the plan by the fed reserve to keep increasing interest rates, till they tank the economy, and blame Trump for it.

remember - the feds were completely afraid of doing anything with interest rates, and they even bought back their own notes at sales, to keep the economy going for fbho.

now that the dems are not in office, they have nothing to worry about, and have kept raising rates, faster than what they should have.

and now they are begining to see the results they want. a collapsing economy while Trump is in office.

next from the left: See! Trump's policies don't work. WE NEED TO INCREASE TAXES NOW TO SAVE THE ECONOMY!

View Quote
Bingo. They have raised rates 7 times in less than 2 years. They knew exactly where this would lead. Just gotta punish the average guy with his 401K retirement for long enough to make him fear it won't cut it. All the while the bots on yahoo finance, market watch and twit face will march to the beat of its all Trumps fault!! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 3:16:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Bingo. They have raised rates 7 times in less than 2 years. They knew exactly where this would lead. Just gotta punish the average guy with his 401K retirement for long enough to make him fear it won't cut it. All the while the bots on yahoo finance, market watch and twit face will march to the beat of its all Trumps fault!! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

President Trump mentioned the other day during comments to the press that he would prefer they didn't raise interests rates any further right now.  I have to agree with him.  An overcorrection trying to stave off inflation would take the legs right out of the economy.  I can't believe the Fed would intentionally tank the economy in order to blame Trump, but then we have exhibit 1.) the FBI and exhibit 2.) the DOJ...so......
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 3:20:16 AM EDT
[#48]
What has changed?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 3:28:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
President Trump mentioned the other day during comments to the press that he would prefer they didn't raise interests rates any further right now.  I have to agree with him.  An overcorrection trying to stave off inflation would take the legs right out of the economy.  I can't believe the Fed would intentionally tank the economy in order to blame Trump, but then we have exhibit 1.) the FBI and exhibit 2.) the DOJ...so......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They did a bang up job of propping up Obama's fog machine with 1 rate increase in his last year in office so I can believe it. Besides, as others have shown the "recovery" is nothing more than a shell game. Right before midterms too, imagine that. Just takes a little nudge and people are fleeing for cash. Now, Trump is no dummy. He had to know they would fight back this way so it will be interesting to see what happens.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 3:33:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What has changed?
View Quote
Nothing
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top