Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2005 2:31:43 PM EDT
I was perusing through my new issue of American Rifleman and saw an advertisement for one of those Stauer watches.

I love watches, I think they are a peice that symbolizes who you are, much like a gun, so I checked out the website and found these two that I really like. I've never heard of the name before, so I can't make a judgement, they are beautiful watches, but it looks like a too good to be true for the prices they want on them. Any opinions?

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Wondered the same (America's 1st Freedom reader)
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#2]
They're laughed at by true horologists. Check out Time Zone if you want to read up more.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
They're laughed at by true horologists. Check out Time Zone if you want to read up more.

Not to hijack, but what do you think about O&W watches
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#4]
O&W are nice for the $$.. If you favor the Fleiger style..... My favorites are Rolex and Fortis.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I got the one on top in light blue from my Dad for my birthday, and it came with 2 sets of bands...black and brown.  My wife got me a G-Shock, too, so I wear the Stauer for nice and the Casio for other.

They are fabulous looking and I love mine.

HH
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:22:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Cmon... You buy a watch for you, not for someone else....I could care less what other people think about what I wear.. Most people dont notice, and if they do, they dont say anything...

You should buy what YOU like....Like Timex.... Buy a Timex... Like Rolex... Buy a Rolex.... I dont need an expensive watch to quantify anything... I have it because I appreciate quality. It makes ME happy...
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You should buy what YOU like....Like Timex.... Buy a Timex... Like Rolex... Buy a Rolex.... I dont need an expensive watch to quantify anything... I have it because I appreciate quality. It makes ME happy...

Absolutely, I buy what I like. I'm happy to offer advice that I think might benefit the end receiver. I think $ put towards a Stauer is probably better off in one of the other offerings. Lured into false details by advertising needs to be cleared up and out. Being knowledgable about watches doesn't mean you have to be a rolex sporting millionaire. Doing your homework and making a solid choice means you'll be happier in the long run, regardless of price bracket. There are some extremely good bang-for-your-bucks if you know where to look. Buy right and you'll be happy long term, just like our prize AR15s
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Isnt that Stauer only $100?

That seems cheap for the quality watch that they describe in that ad.

Ive got a $25.00 timex that I bought at a grocery store 20 years ago....Still runs fine!

This is before I caught my disease....
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#10]
 I have one of the Steinhausen Repro watches ( very similar to the Stauer ) and for what it is, it's a very pretty watch.  The workmanship is very good and the bands ( one black and one brown ) are VERY nice.  In fact, it is one of the most comfortable watches I have ever worn.

That being said, you must be aware that the movement is made in a Chinese factory that is probably jointly owned by a couple of companies like Stauer, Nexten and Steinhausen.   Mine keeps time very well as long as I keep it wound. Just shake the watch back and forth gently for about a half a minute, at least twice a day if you arent' wearing it.  If your wearing it then your body movement is usually enough to keep ot wound.

Is it a Tag or Rolex....hardly.....but they are rather nice looking and I enjoy mine.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cmon... You buy a watch for you, not for someone else....I could care less what other people think about what I wear.. Most people dont notice, and if they do, they dont say anything...

Quite true, you purchasing somthing to make YOU happy.  If you like it go for it, theres nothing wrong in that at all.

But chrisj is rite, those little buggers are advertised as mush more than they actualy are.

their in the same arena as a casio. Im not saying casio sucks, but its no where near somthing like patek or omega and that what their trying to market them as.

its more a buyer beware kinda thing thats all were saying
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Well,  I went to Time Zone ( which is like a 1911.org or better yet, biggerhammer.net of watch fans ) and looked up Steihausen and Stauer.

From what I gather, the whole thing is a marketing gig to sell fancy looking watches at a cheap price.  They are prettier than they are functional....but they are "fair to good" functionally.

For instance, let's relate this in Gun terms....if a Yost/Bonitz 1911 is a Tag Hauer then Staur like Rock Island Armory.  In other words... the REAL Rock Island Armory never made 1911's....the current Rock Island Armory isn't even made by ROCK ISLAND....it isn't even made in the US...it's made by Armscor in the Phllipines.....

Nonetheless, much as many ( including myself ) ballyhoo them, RIAs seem to work at least okay for the guys who use them.

Stauer and Steinhausen are sort of the same.....except Staur is a play on Hauer ( as in Tag Hauer ) and Steinhausen is a play on some watchmaking town I can't pronounce, let alone SPELL.  The watches that the adds declare these were based on HAVE NEVER EXISTED.  EVER.   All of the watches for these ( and a couple other companies ) are made by a contracted Chinese firm and are labeled and decorated accordingly.  These watches seem to work okay ( as I said I have one but I truly bought it for the antiquish look and not much else ) but they are rather arcaic in their design and are not as high quality as the marketers would like you to believe ( suprise )....though they are generally "decent".....just nothing a real afficianado would ever be caught wearing.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok... The watch you are discussing, if it is an automatic movement, will probably have a very inexpensive movement with a plastic rotor.. Generally Japanese made, Myoshi I believe, that keeps the cost down.. In no way comparable to a Valjoux, Rolex or even an ETA...It may be reasonably accurate, but not really a comparison in any other way... The watch works, and looks nice... If it has a display back, the movement may be dolled up or decorated. Fortis does this on their Fleiger series which use simple ETA movements..

Techno babble aside, its nice looking, and if you like it.. Why not?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:07:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ok... The watch you are discussing, if it is an automatic movement, will probably have a very inexpensive movement with a plastic rotor.. Generally Japanese made, Myoshi I believe, that keeps the cost down.. In no way comparable to a Valjoux, Rolex or even an ETA...It may be reasonably accurate, but not really a comparison in any other way... The watch works, and looks nice... If it has a display back, the movement may be dolled up or decorated. Fortis does this on their Fleiger series which use simple ETA movements..

Techno babble aside, its nice looking, and if you like it.. Why not?

It has a crystal backing and the movement is metallic construction....from what I can tell....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top