Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 8:13:34 AM EDT
www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2005/12/22/state_warns_pet_owners_of_potentially_toxic_pet_food/

State warns pet owners of potentially toxic pet food

December 22, 2005

RICHMOND, Va. --Virginia agriculture officials warned Thursday of a potentially fatal toxin that might be in pet food sold under the names Diamond, Country Value and Professional.

The Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services said Diamond Pet Food discovered aflatoxin, a chemical byproduct from a fungal growth on corn and other crops, in a product made at its Gaston, S.C., facility.

The plant distributes dog and cat food products to Virginia stores.

Diamond is recalling the products in question, which carry "Best By" date codes from "01-March-07" to "11-June-07." The Gaston facility marking, "G," is either the 11th or 12th character of the date code.

Symptoms of aflatoxin poisoning include sluggishness or lethargy combined with a reluctance to eat, yellowish tint to the eyes or gums, and severe or bloody diarrhea.

The Gaston facility also provides products to Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia and Vermont.

For a full list of the pet-food names, visit Diamond Pet Food's Web site:

http://www.diamondpetfood.com
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:19:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Luckily I live in Nebraska and did not receive any food from this facility, but I have been feeding Diamond to my dogs for years.  I have been very happy with their product line overall, but I no longer feed my Boxer puppy their puppy because it has the tendency to turn her ass into a WMD.  

SBG
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:25:02 AM EDT
[#2]
my dog won't eat dog food anymore...  just cinnamon rolls, bagles, pizza, ham, and oatmeal.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:14:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Star Pro my man, feed Star Pro.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Star Pro my man, feed Star Pro.

Star Pro first ingredients:  Poultry by-product meal, ground yellow corn, ground whole wheat, poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and ascorbyl palmitate),

I wouldnt feed that to my dogs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top