Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Posted: 2/2/2006 7:52:17 AM EDT
Season 10 was the last season for SG-1 and Atlantis Season 4 is going to start in April 2007. Gateworld reports that the two direct to DVD SG-1 movies are expected to be released in Fall of 2007. The plots look interesting enough. The first one probably puts some closure to the Ori invasion, while the second one involves time travel and Baal.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:59:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, guess you gotta keep the weapons "fresh" on the show.....
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:08:36 AM EDT
[#2]
they shuld use staff weapons and shields.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:09:08 AM EDT
[#3]
from my quick GIS anylisis, that gun sucks ass.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:13:45 AM EDT
[#4]
They still go to the M16/SPR for special situations or the 240/249.
I read that SG-1 started using P90s in Season 4. They used MP5s prior to that.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Since Jack left, and Daniel came back, its been downhill.....
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:15:08 AM EDT
[#6]
The MP7 is a SUPERB weapon. The one I used in Half Life 2 never jammed, and it had amazing "stopping power" against the Combined troops and zombies...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:15:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

they shuld use staff weapons and shields.

Staff weapons SUCK ass.   They are large, unwieldy, and have a very slow rate of fire.

ZAT's rock.    High rate of fire, choice of stun, kill or vaporize.   Small, handy, concealable.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#8]
you know, i've always wondered why we don't have sg1 and sg-atlantis threads like we have for the shield and bsg...i mean, i like both stargates more than i like the whispery, melodramatic, soap operatic-intensity of bsg. at least they don't take themselves so seriously!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:22:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree re: Zat guns. They should sell them as replacements for tranquilizers. If you have a lot on your mind and can't sleep... pfsssh BZZZZZUNNNNNNT *thud*.
The Kull Warrior hand-held weapon and suit should be standard issue.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I think mentioning an uncommon weapon without including pics should a COC violation.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:38:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#12]
SGC did develop a add on to the P90 that is basically a zat firing module.  It would fit on any weapon with a milspec rail.  Daniel used it when Valla stole the prometheous.  He fired that at her, presumably to stun her and it didn't work, but he was only holding a P90 at the time.

I don't know why they havent used them on the later episodes.

I really hope this is not true.  I like the P90, and the MP7 isn't enough gun to look cool.

It would be neat to see them switch to AUG or a F2000 tricked out.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:52:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
SGC did develop a add on to the P90 that is basically a zat firing module.  It would fit on any weapon with a milspec rail.  Daniel used it when Valla stole the prometheous.  He fired that at her, presumably to stun her and it didn't work, but he was only holding a P90 at the time.

I don't know why they havent used them on the later episodes.

I really hope this is not true.  I like the P90, and the MP7 isn't enough gun to look cool.

It would be neat to see them switch to AUG or a F2000 tricked out.

I think the F2k would be the ultimate SGC weapon, especially with an underbarrled ZAT/Staff instead of the grenade launcher...

Still, not a big fan of SG-1 since they got the 'priors' as the new enemy. Would have rather them focus on the aftermath of the fall of Goul'd and rebuilding the Asguard.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Dean Anderson is anti-gun.   Using a gun the public can buy would be promoting the sale of evil guns.  So switch to a gun US citizens can't purchase.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:26:28 AM EDT
[#15]
This is getting ridiculous.

WHY do they keep getting SMALLER caliber weapons?  I understand the armor piercing aspect of the P90, but 4.7?

What the hell is next, .177 pellet rifles?

ETA:

I know it's just a TV show, but there HAS to be some technical advisor sitting off to the side screaming "WTF!!!!!!!"
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#16]
The new Jaffa council stuff is boring. The Ori is rather interesting, but not as frightening of an enemy as the Wraith.

SG-1 Season 9 isn't bad but Vala needs to be a regular cast to make it better.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:31:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Dean Anderson is anti-gun.   Using a gun the public can buy would be promoting the sale of evil guns.  So switch to a gun US citizens can't purchase.

He's no longer acting in the series, but he may be exec prod.
Now that we can get the PS90, I think you're right.

The 4.6x30 is an AP cartridge.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Since Jack left, and Daniel came back, its been downhill.....

Yeah that kind of sucks, but hell, as long as they keep Major (or did she get promoted too?) Carter I'll watch.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:33:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It wasn't a zat, it was that whatchamacallit to kill the 'super soldiers'.

Quoted:

WHY do they keep getting SMALLER caliber weapons?  I understand the armor piercing aspect of the P90, but 4.7?

The P90 and MP7 are the same concept. Both are just small caliber PDWs.

I bet they are going to the MP7 (if they are going to the MP7) because it is smaller, and since they aren't fighting the Jaffa hordes anymore, they may as well have something that is less obtrusive.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The MP7 is a SUPERB weapon. The one I used in Half Life 2 never jammed, and it had amazing "stopping power" against the Combined troops and zombies...

That doesn't really count, since you never took it of "Don't Hurt Me" difficulty level.

CO
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Didn't Storm Troopers carry this weapon 30 years ago?  Anyway, looks like a plastic Uzi with a front flip-down grip.
~Dg84
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#23]
and

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, he's the producer.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, he's the producer.

Is he the executive producer of Atlantis? It seems they use more tactics in Atlantis (Shepperd uses smoke grenades and actually uses the Ring Sights MC-10-80 on the P90 instead of shooting from the hip). Is the Atlantis team going to switch over to MP7s as well? The Air Force must be totally loaded to buy all this neat gear.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:49:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Speaking of RDA's anti-gun stance, there were several episodes where his home was broken into and he had to go up against the intruder. Take a wild guess what he had either concealed behind the small of his back or in a drawer? Yep. A gun.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
img390.imageshack.us/img390/6430/whocares7fi.jpg

Shut up Gary Coleman, go secure something
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:53:50 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
you know, i've always wondered why we don't have sg1 and sg-atlantis threads like we have for the shield and bsg...i mean, i like both stargates more than i like the whispery, melodramatic, soap operatic-intensity of bsg. at least they don't take themselves so seriously!

The plot isn't so soap-opera-like, so less watercooler chat.

Though there have definitely been moments where I wanted to post on arfcom "saw this on SG-1...that was the shiznit"
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Its been established that SG teams get into a lot of fights.  A PDW is something they do not need.  They need regular combat arms.  P90's could fill in this role because on the scale of PDW's they lean more towards the combat part rather than the useful for only personal defense end of the scale.

Tealc has used a SAW in several episodes.  Cater has used the "Cater Special" M4 Carbine before.  I think it had an ELCAN, a Cmag and was in a SBR configuration.

A lot of SG teams make due with plain jane M16's or M4's with a M60 or 50cal thrown in.

High time they standardize teams!  Teams need to be a bit bigger as well.  They need an element to secure the gate and at least two elements to be able to conduct the mission(s); thats tree units.  Figure 6 man minium for three pairs.  12 would be better.  18 would be much better, 24 would be best b/c then you can have a 6 man reserve/medical unit as well.

In the movie they sent a much larger force as well.

I think gas piston M4's with 203's BUIS EOtech with moderators plus a rail mounted zat like stun DEW (dispense with the kill and vaporize settings) and a light.

And bring back the SGC launched-through-the-gate Mavericks to targets on other planets

Yea I have to much time on my hands.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Is he the executive producer of Atlantis?

Nope.

It seems they use more tactics in Atlantis (Shepperd uses smoke grenades and actually uses the Ring Sights MC-10-80 on the P90 instead of shooting from the hip).

Dunno, but I still want to know what .45 he is using this season, and why the other poor shlubs still carry the M9.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

What the hell is next, .177 pellet rifles?

ETA:

I know it's just a TV show, but there HAS to be some technical advisor sitting off to the side screaming "WTF!!!!!!!"

Right, like they have a physicist standing around throwing a fit every time Carter or McKay open their mouths.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Speaking of RDA's anti-gun stance, there were several episodes where his home was broken into and he had to go up against the intruder. Take a wild guess what he had either concealed behind the small of his back or in a drawer? Yep. A gun.

Several episodes show Oniel is a gun freak.

One episode where people see the alien creatures after being "infected" with something.  The Col is filling up with gas and him and the attendent see a big ass flying alien bug, whats the Col do?  Reaches in the door pulls out a sig and starts shooting at the thing while its flying around.

Couple times someone breaks in is house and they are talking, the Col reaches for a hidden gun and he is told by the BG I already took it.  Few minutes later, he whips one out of the silverware draw in the kitchen and says what about this one.

In the movie his son died b/c he was playing with the Col's guns...

RDA may suck, but Colonel Oniel was pretty cool about guns
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Its been established that SG teams get into a lot of fights.  A PDW is something they do not need.  They need regular combat arms.  P90's could fill in this role because on the scale of PDW's they lean more towards the combat part rather than the useful for only personal defense end of the scale.

Do you actually know that the MP7 is inferior to the P90 (ballistically), or is this Arfcom Fashion Police insipired? (Though when talking about a TV show, I suppose a bit of AFP is allowed...)

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is he the executive producer of Atlantis?

Nope.

It seems they use more tactics in Atlantis (Shepperd uses smoke grenades and actually uses the Ring Sights MC-10-80 on the P90 instead of shooting from the hip).

Dunno, but I still want to know what .45 he is using this season, and why the other poor shlubs still carry the M9.

If anything, the REMFs like Rodney should be using PDWs.
The SG teams should switch to real guns, like 1911s and .308 rifles. One shot of 45 Auto would take down a Hai'Tak cruiser and .308 - forget it. It'd wipe out half the Wraith with one shot!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#36]
SG1 sucks anyways.

When they start using MP7's on Atlantis or Battlestar Galactica, THEN I'll take notice.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:03:06 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
The SG teams should switch to real guns, like 1911s and .308 rifles. One shot of 45 Auto would take down a Hai'Tak cruiser and .308 - forget it. It'd wipe out half the Wraith with one shot!

+1

They showed Rodney using, or at least carrying a P90 in the first season several times.  Why all of a sudden can't he do it?

Maybe he has shown is stupidity with it and they took it away.  Seriously two days of training and he should be good to go with it.  Make damn Ronin carry one as well.  His dinky ass energy pistol is just that...a pistol.  He can carry it as a back up.

One thing I don't like about Atlantis tactics is that they shoot at Darts from the hip, usually with a Para SAW.

I did like Sheppards new 1911.  Must have gotten his special deliver when the ship came in on a resupply run.

Edit forgot my RDA smiley I found...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
SG1 sucks anyways.

When they start using MP7's on Atlantis or Battlestar Galactica, THEN I'll take notice.

You took notice of this thread....
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:04:29 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you actually know that the MP7 is inferior to the P90 (ballistically), or is this Arfcom Fashion Police insipired? (Though when talking about a TV show, I suppose a bit of AFP is allowed...)

They claim 4.6x30 AP has more penetration (by 50 mm) than SS190 5.7x28 through 20% gelatin.
As for "stopping power", I don't think anyone can answer that even for SS190. Dr. Roberts has commented that 5.7x28 makes a poor defensive/offenseive cartridge. I'd imagine 4.6x30 is no better, BUT the videos I've seen of people shooting the Mp7 semi-auto mode show significantly more recoil and muzzle jump than the P90.

I'm guessing its partially due to the over-engineering on the P90: dual guide rods and dual recoil springs, recoil buffer, and recoiling barrel. It is delayed blowback whereas the MP7 is gas operated with a rotating bolt (something like the G36 from what I have heard). I didn't see any sign of recoil mitigation designs in the MP7.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:06:33 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

They showed Rodney using, or at least carrying a P90 in the first season several times.  Why all of a sudden can't he do it?

Maybe he has shown is stupidity with it and they took it away.  Seriously two days of training and he should be good to go with it.  Make damn Ronin carry one as well.  His dinky ass energy pistol is just that...a pistol.  He can carry it as a back up.

One thing I don't like about Atlantis tactics is that they shoot at Darts from the hip, usually with a Para SAW.

I did like Sheppards new 1911.  Must have gotten his special deliver when the ship came in on a resupply run.

Edit forgot my RDA smiley I found...www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/stargate/jack2/jack_new_anime27.gif

I didn't even catch on that Shepperd is using a 1911. Which episode did he start using one?
I thought they always shot at the Darts using the P90 with the proper cheek weld sort of like SG-1 when shooting down Goa'uld Death Gliders using P90s

Man I gotta go back and watch for the 1911 scenes. Maybe the SGA producers are ARFCOM lurkers... 1911s and 45 Auto will take out capital ships with 1 shot!!! Sheppherd wont have a problem taking out the hive ship in the start of Season 3!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:11:58 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I didn't even catch on that Shepperd is using a 1911. Which episode did he start using one?

Since the second or so episode of season 2. Right after 'The Seige' episodes, I think.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:19:11 AM EDT
[#42]
pretty soon we're gonna have "AP" rounds that have to steal material from the target just to have any weight at all.  Geez.  The -2.8x10.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#43]
So what happens to all the P90s they purchased? IIRC they had so many P90s that the Asgards and Jaffa all have stockpiles on each and every ship. SG team members conveniently have access to spare P90s whenever they are on allied ships. This must have made FN Herstal FILTHY rich:
rather than supply JUST the US military, they have to supply:
Free Jaffa
Asgards
Stargate Atlantis
whatever allies are in the Pegasus galaxy
various allies in the Milky Way

HK must have been itching to get a piece of the pie.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Wtf are you talking about, the bullets land about as close to the point of aim as shotgun pellets, even the first shot!  The pistol is a superb tack driver however.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I remember a MacGuyver episode where young MacGuyver is scarred for life by a friend accidentally shooting another friend out in the woods.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:25:38 PM EDT
[#46]
wtf is up with that 90 degree grip angle?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Stick with the P90, I think the MP7 is fugly
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:35:19 PM EDT
[#48]
I agree that they should have the average grunts carrying 308s...something like a SOCOM M14 or maybe a SR25 CQB variant.  They should be using more 50 cals too...Tealc could carry one easy.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
The Air Force must be totally loaded to buy all this neat gear.

Given what its costing them to run the Gate  program ( a dollar figure has  been mentioned in a few episodes along the way), the cost of small arms for the Teams is a tiny fraction of the budget.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#50]
They don't always use small stuff.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top