User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/14/2004 6:23:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Gonna be digitally remastered but sounds like they will be the theatrical releases!

SWEET!  I have made a solomn oath not to buy any of the original Star Wars movies unless they are not the sissified redone versions.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#2]
OMFG!!! Say it aint so! Mom said I could get one of them if I quit peeing the bed!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I cant wait!!!!!!!!!! I'm getting mine at midnight.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you will have a choice of remade and originals
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#5]
everything I've read has said that not only has Lucas said the true original versions will never be released, but this release has even more edits than the special editions
Anakin at the end of ROTJ is now the guy from ep2 with some makeup to look older
the emperor scenes in ESB were redone with the actor that played palpatine in rotj and eps 1 and 2
I'm pretty sure there are other edits too
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#6]
paging wedge1082......
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
everything I've read has said that not only has Lucas said the true original versions will never be released, but this release has even more edits than the special editions
Anakin at the end of ROTJ is now the guy from ep2 with some makeup to look older
the emperor scenes in ESB were redone with the actor that played palpatine in rotj and eps 1 and 2
I'm pretty sure there are other edits too

As far as I know it will be the special editions, not the original releases. But the thing with replacing Anakin is fake from what I have heard. It should basically be the same thing thats on the Special Edition VHS.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#8]
The computer game Star Wars Battlefront also comes out the same day, looks cool.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I heard the scene with Han Solo and Greedo was edited again and now it looks like a mutual shoot-out with Han getting the good shot and Greedo missing. Thats about the only part of the whole trilogy that I hate Lucas fucking with.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#10]
cool

i heard that the dvds are not the origional theater releases, but are the late1990s redones--is that true?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Unless Solo shoots Greedo first I'll pass.

Oh My God!! He shot Greedo!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I heard the scene with Han Solo and Greedo was edited again and now it looks like a mutual shoot-out with Han getting the good shot and Greedo missing. Thats about the only part of the whole trilogy that I hate Lucas fucking with.

Don't forget about Luke falling from the pylon in ESB (basically giving up his life rather than turn to the dark side, big part of him becoming a Jedi). In the original, he was gonna go down like a man, in the Special Edition Lucas made him scream like a pussy, messed up the entire scene.

Lucas has said before he doesn't consider it to be two versions. To him, the Special Edition IS Star Wars the way it was supposed to be and is now the only version.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

nope, from what I have gathered.

According to Lucasfilm VP of Marketing, Jim Ward when asked about being able to buy the original versions: " Not possible,  What George did in 1997," Ward explains, "was [to] make the movie he originally wanted to make."

Which means the 1997 crappy special editions.

Anyone else have any different information?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#16]

This is not a trap!

My birthday is the 22nd and this will be my present to myself!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#17]
The laserdisc versions of the original trilogy looked very nice.  Several companies in Hong Kong and China have ripped it and put them on DVD's, but the quality of most of them leave a lot to be desired.  However, I know people who've ripped the LD's and converted them to DVD's, and it looks pretty good.  

George Lucas has made it clear he hates his fans.  Why, I have no idea since they basically made him who he is.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

From a money stand point, they would be stupid to not release both versions.

Possibly. But you know how weird artists get about their work. If Lucas feels strongly about the 1997 changes he may not care about the extra revenue. He might prefer to have the movie only sold as he sees fit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a  bootleg set made from the 1993 laser discs, so I'll be passing on the "improved" versions.

The "Empire of Dreams" 2 hour documentary shown Sunday on A&E was really good.  Lots of behind the scenes stuff I've never seen before.

Scott

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Unless Solo shoots Greedo first I'll pass.

www.starwars.com/databank/character/greedo/img/movie_bg.jpg
Oh My God!! He shot Greedo!

I have seen stills from the DVD release...they shoot at the SAME TIME!!! We'll see.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Nope.  According to Lucas, the original version were destroyed and no longer exist.  This version is even more updated than the ones from the late 90's.  Official reviews have confirmed some of the screen caps floating around, one of which was the one from Return of the Jedi where old Anakin is a force entity standing next to Yoda and Obi Wan during the funeral.  Instead of the old Anakin (fixed it), they've replaced him with Haden Christiansen who plays Anakin.  Never mind that they left the old image of Obi Wan.  Nevermind all the official Star Wars cannon he destroyed with his nonsensical rewrites.  Why hire Bobba Fett in Empire when the storm troopers are clones of Jango Fett?!

I hope Lucas chokes on his royalty checks.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#22]
this site's general area might have a bunch of flaming liberals, but they're great for dvd/movie info and discussions
www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=377414&highlight=star+wars+changes
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why hire Bobba Fett in Empire when the storm troopers are clones of Jango Fett?!

The clones where gone and replaced with regular guys in the armor by the time of episode four. This is explained in the book series...Did I just fail a nerd test? Crap!!!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#24]
oh, some work using bit torrent, and a lot of time to download, will turn up the files needed for the laser disc rips.
4GBs for each movie. dial up has prevented me from trying
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#25]
hrmmm.... the laserdisc is the only way to see what has been reduced into a travesty of what was once a pretty damn good trilogy of movies.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#26]
some of the books indicate that both clones and regular enlisted soldiers are used for storm troopers

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why hire Bobba Fett in Empire when the storm troopers are clones of Jango Fett?!

The clones where gone and replaced with regular guys in the armor by the time of episode four. This is explained in the book series...Did I just fail a nerd test? Crap!!!

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
oh, some work using bit torrent, and a lot of time to download, will turn up the files needed for the laser disc rips.
4GBs for each movie. dial up has prevented me from trying

That is the reason I purchased a close family member a DVD+-R drive.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:13:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:

When it comes to Star Wars nerddom, I'm your Huckleberry.  It was also stated in the role playing materials.  Doesn't matter.  Lucas has already contradicted so much of the accepted and licensed cannon that it's not even funny.  We're not even taking fan fiction here, but the stuff Lucasfilm actually licensed to be written and released.

Again, I hope he chokes on a royalty check.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Screw Lucas, buy the bootlegs!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Geeks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Geeks.

Those movies are part of my childhood.  Someone fucking them up is like them pissing all over that childhood, and it makes me mad.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#32]
The versions on the DVDs are the 90's rereleased, neutered versions with a few tweaks and changes.  The video quality is top notch and the 5.1 sound is very good.
Watched the EpIV DVD yesterday - courtesy of alt.binaries.dvd

Fritz
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:52:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Lucas DESTROYED the originals?  

What a fucktard.

He doesn't realize that that first movie was a cultural phenomenon never seen at the time--or since really.

It was bigger than his "vision."  

The originals should have been preserved forever, bad matte effects, goofy '70's haircuts and all.  Some of that stuff is what made those movies so cool.  They were a little funky, but that added to their charm.  Even at the time and not just nostalgically.  For instance--that funkiness seemed to be analogous to the Empire whose heyday had come and gone, and was in decline, dealing with rogue star systems and rebellions all over the galaxy.  The flaws just made it all look MORE real rather than like effects--for some reason.  

I still prefer the models used for ships and vehicles--with matte paintings and blue screens-- over the CGI stuff.  Hand painted and made of wood or plastic, they just look more real than the CGI stuff, with its pastel hues, blurred edges, and soft lines.  

One of the reasons I hated Phontom Menace was the shitty CGI.  The film looks soft.  

Lucas has totally fucked up THE number one movie franshise ever.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:49:28 PM EDT
[#34]
The Original Theatrical version have been available on VCD and DVD for years on Ebay . The set I have is Region 1 widescreen , THX and dolby 5.1 with all the normal DVD features and play perfectly . They appear to be legit DVDs with a Canadian Import number .

I just did a quick search on Ebay and the same set I paid $90 for is now $35 or less .
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:55:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't understand all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth.  The films are Lucas' to do with as he pleases.  He has stated that they are being released as he wanted to make them originally.  He didn't have the money in 75.  Now that he does, he put his finishing touches on the films.

Much ado about nothing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:58:16 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I don't understand all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth.  The films are Lucas' to do with as he pleases.  He has stated that they are being released as he wanted to make them originally.  He didn't have the money in 75.  Now that he does, he put his finishing touches on the films.

Much ado about nothing.

I don't mind if its done to enhance or add depth to a scene , but to alter it to make it
more PC .........  Well , that just sucks .
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:00:30 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Much ado about nothing.

I don't mind if its done to enhance or add depth to a scene , but to alter it to make it
more PC .........  Well , that just sucks .

What is PC about adding Jabba the Hut to ANH?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:15:53 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I was thinking of the bar scene where Han shoots the bounty hunter from under the table .

I havent seen it yet , but its mentioned in this thread , and elsewhere that now its a shootout
to make it look more like fair fight .
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:20:51 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was thinking of the bar scene where Han shoots the bounty hunter from under the table .

I havent seen it yet , but its mentioned in this thread , and elsewhere that now its a shootout
to make it look more like fair fight .

And that is PC how?

Again, much ado about nothing.

And you admit not having seen it, yet you must down it?  Maybe you should watch it first.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:34:02 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Again, much ado about nothing.

And you admit not having seen it, yet you must down it?  Maybe you should watch it first.

I'm failing to see how this ties in to my OPINION , that changing a movie , Any Movie to make it more PC is a bad thing .

I go further to say that I despise the whole PC mind set , If want a group hug , I'll go rent some hookers and do it right .
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:41:44 AM EDT
[#41]
My um friend just got the DVDs made from the original trilogy Laserdiscs. They are awesome, very professionally packaged and image quality is about as good as one could hope for. The real deal. Look on BitTorrent.

(we own the real Laserdiscs as well, but it's a pain to flip discs every 20 minutes while watching them...)

My current theory is that sometime between the releases of Willow and Episode I, George Lucas was abducted by aliens and replaced by an evil, incompetent, half-Hutt clone (look at his neck).
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:29:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Orinally by dmaas

My current theory is that sometime between the releases of Willow and Episode I, George Lucas was abducted by aliens and replaced by an evil, incompetent, half-Hutt clone (look at his neck).

I wish Episodes 1 and 2 were destroyed and redone by Peter Jackson.

Lucas ruined my movies!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:48:46 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:

When it comes to Star Wars nerddom, I'm your Huckleberry.  It was also stated in the role playing materials.  Doesn't matter.  Lucas has already contradicted so much of the accepted and licensed cannon that it's not even funny.  We're not even taking fan fiction here, but the stuff Lucasfilm actually licensed to be written and released.

Again, I hope he chokes on a royalty check.

And we have a winner. The cool thing about the SW universe before the remakes was that lucas kept tight control over product coming out so you had a fairly consistent storyline. Then he started tweaking it. I think he's just gone mad. EP I and II are inconsistent with everything we've been led to believe all along, and he's rewriting the past now to make the current scripts work.

Anyone else love Kevin Smith for the line in Jay and SB strike back, "that's as ridiculus as Greedo shooting first." Changing that shot, changed the character of Han Solo. He went from being and anti-hero to being a liberal pansy.

If Lucas were to pass away, do you think that we could regain our film?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:52:39 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Much ado about nothing.

No no, once they were released, they became our films.
Perhaps DaVinci should have played around with the Mona Lisa.
Maybe Michelanglo should tweak David.
Maybe Ted Turner should colorize something.
While we're at it, lets go back and rewrite the constitution.

LUCAS IS AN ASSHAT.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:47:50 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Much ado about nothing.

No no, once they were released, they became our films.
Perhaps DaVinci should have played around with the Mona Lisa.
Maybe Michelanglo should tweak David.
Maybe Ted Turner should colorize something.
While we're at it, lets go back and rewrite the constitution.

LUCAS IS AN ASSHAT.

No, they're still his to do with as he wishes.  If he wants to put Darth Vader in a pink tutu and have the storm troopers do a big circle jerk, that's fine.

I wouldn't want to watch it, but hey.  It's his creation.  Any assumption otherwise is just assinine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#46]
1 week and counting!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Orinally by dmaas

I wish Episodes 1 and 2 were destroyed and redone by Peter Jackson.

Lucas ruined my movies!

Lucas lost "it" somewhere between the filming of "Star Wars" and "Return of the Jedi".  

I know I'm in a distinct minority on this opinion but don't turn ANYTHING over to PJ for interpretation.    
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:

I thought that Jango's clones were modified to be subserviant to the empire and to have less personal initiative.   I think that wold hurt a bounty hunter.  

I always loved the scene where Obi-Wan describes the destruction of the sand crawler by saying "Only Imperial Stormtroopers can be so precise" but yet when we see them in combat they can't hit shit.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Lucas may be an asshat, but this will still likely be the best-selling DVD box set EVAR!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#50]
I have Episode IV (the FIRST Star Wars movie) on VHS. Guess I'll have to keep it under lock and key for posterity.

That sucks. I was hoping for the theatrical releases to come out on DVD. Lucas spent too much of his millions on crack.

The original Star Wars is still one of my favorite movies ever.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top