Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2012 5:01:50 AM EDT
this is from two days ago, but I thought it was interesting:

CBS article on 55th anniversary of Sputnik

Any of Arfcom's old hands around to remember that event in history?

That period of our history and the Cold War interests me.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:17:01 AM EDT
[#1]
The town (Manitowoc, WI) where the remnants of Sputnik landed (missed the lake by a few hundred yards) has a plaque on the sidewalk at the spot where an officer found it. It happens to be right beside what is now the town museum. They also host an annual "Sputnik Fest" with alien themed costume contests, bands, etc.

Sputnikfest

The lady who does the poster artwork (previous years were better IMO) is the artist for Dora the Explorer who lives there. Her husband does Spongebob and you can see little clips and drawings of their artwork if you look in small businesses around the town.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:18:20 AM EDT
[#2]

I miss the space race.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:23:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The town (Manitowoc, WI) where the remnants of Sputnik landed (missed the lake by a few hundred yards) has a plaque on the sidewalk at the spot where an officer found it. It happens to be right beside what is now the town museum. They also host an annual "Sputnik Fest" with alien themed costume contests, bands, etc.

You're referring to Sputnik IV that landed in Manitowoc, not Sputnik I.

Sputnik IV
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:28:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're referring to Sputnik IV that landed in Manitowoc, not Sputnik I.

Sputnik IV

Yes. It's just noteworthy and pretty cool because the museum has an exhibit dedicated to just Sputnik. It's kind of unique.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:56:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:03:57 AM EDT
[#6]
With Sputnik, not only was there national prestige at stake, but putting a satellite into orbit means that you also have the capability to drop a nuke anywhere in the world.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:11:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

With Sputnik, not only was there national prestige at stake, but putting a satellite into orbit means that you also have the capability to drop a nuke anywhere in the world.

I am old enough to remember all this happening.  The Pentagon shat a brick.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:15:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I miss the space race.

Time to watch "October Sky".

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:20:50 AM EDT
[#9]
A pic of the jerk in chief at my old school, to remind you all that we have apparently missed our "sputnik moment".

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/06/obama-calls-for-new-sputnik-moment/

I got trapped on campus for six extra hours that day, I tried like hell to hold up my notebook with the BFL on it for a photo-op, but I guess I missed my own sputnik moment.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:33:16 AM EDT
[#10]
It reminds me of the heady days of Sputnik and Yuri Gagarin when the world trembled at the sound of our rockets.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:41:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It reminds me of the heady days of Sputnik and Yuri Gagarin when the world trembled at the sound of our rockets.

Well, they will tremble again at the sound of our silence....

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:44:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Day after I was born.  My father was Army and worked Nike missiles.  I got the nickname "Sputnick"
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:58:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I miss the space race.

Look around. A new one is under way.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:10:53 AM EDT
[#14]
It was a few years before me, but my dad remembers everyone outside at night watching for it to pass over.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:11:04 AM EDT
[#15]
My mom took me out to see if we could spot it flying through the clear skies of upper NY state. I honestly can't remember if we saw it or not but I remember it was a big deal although we didn't have anymore nuclear drills where we got under our desks with our eyes closed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top