Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2003 2:35:51 PM EDT
OK....I know, I know, if you want a Garand, do the CMP route...and thats what I'll probably end up doing.

BUT

Anyone have any experience with the current production SA Garands?  Are they good?  Are they POSs?  Any opinions?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 2:40:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
OK....I know, I know, if you want a Garand, do the CMP route...and thats what I'll probably end up doing.

BUT

Anyone have any experience with the current production SA Garands?  Are they good?  Are they POSs?  Any opinions?

don't waste your money on an out of spec, cast receiver with used refinished parts and an ugly boyds stock....rather go to the cmp, get a danish rack grade for $350, and send it to be rebuilt by Dean www.dgrguns.com/. Then you'll have a pretty rifle with a real forged USGI reciever that will be very accurate.  The wenigs stocks that Dean uses are much nicer than the boyds.....

or just get an H&R or SA service grade from the cmp and be done with it for half the money.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BUT

don't waste your money on an out of spec, cast receiver with used refinished parts and an ugly boyds stock....rather go to the cmp, get a danish rack grade for $350, and send it to be rebuilt by Dean www.dgrguns.com/. Then you'll have a pretty rifle with a real forged USGI reciever that will be very accurate.  The wenigs stocks that Dean uses are much nicer than the boyds.....

or just get an H&R or SA service grade from the cmp and be done with it for half the money.

Ditto.

Get the REAL deal. Stay with USGI M1's. For the price most charge for those SA cast rifles, you can easily get two from the CMP.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 2:49:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd say avoid the aftermarket, non-spec stuff. A few years down the road you'll regret not buying a REAL Garand, trust me. Besides, you'll probably actually save money buying the real thing.

I would also highly recommend Dean's. I sent him an '03 Springfield of mine and I can say with complete honesty that Dean is a magician. He's reasonable in his pricing as well. His only drawback would be his turn around time. Call ahead.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#4]
btw, here's my latest M1 from the CMP. It's a woodless dane with wood I picked up locally. It's a 5-digit SA made in September of 1940, a real pre-war rifle!

costs:

Dane RG less wood    $300
used USGI stock        40
used USGI handguards   30
total                $370

oh and the barrel gages 3 and 3 on muzzle and throat and holds 4" at 100yds, perfectly serviceable accuracy for an M1. I'll be rebarreling it to .308 soon and already have a buyer lined up for the barrel, which has a nice shiny bore.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a New production Springfield, and like it... I also have a Older M1Garand, WWII era..

As for the new ones, yes they have a new reciver, barrel and stock, but all other parts are USGI, mine has performed great...and I do not regret getting it at all....I like the stock to, I dont like shiny stocks on M1 Garands, but to each their own...

It is your money, if you want one then get it, and enjoy it.....
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:25:56 PM EDT
[#6]
What if someone couldn't go the CMP route(no local clubs, no rifle to shoot the qualifying target with, ect.) what would be a good way for someone to buy an M1?  I have a C&R lic. so I could have one shipped to my door if I could find one for a reasonable price but I've not seen any advertised in Shotgun News in a very long time and some M1's are not C&R elegible for one reason or another.  I won't have alot to spend plus I'll have to get all the extras like ammo belt, bayonet, clips ammo. What do you recomend or should I just get a Yugo 59/66 SKS and be done with it?  
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Like I said, I'll probably go the CMP route (if I don't find someone selling one locally when I have the $$).  

I was just curious about people's first-hand experiences with the current production springfields, since springfield's website is very thin on details.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#8]
They have one at Post Pawn in St. Roberts.  It's pretty good condition.  Wood doesn;t match and it's dirty, but servicable.  They want $600 for it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What if someone couldn't go the CMP route(no local clubs, no rifle to shoot the qualifying target with, ect.) what would be a good way for someone to buy an M1?  I have a C&R lic. so I could have one shipped to my door if I could find one for a reasonable price but I've not seen any advertised in Shotgun News in a very long time and some M1's are not C&R elegible for one reason or another.  I won't have alot to spend plus I'll have to get all the extras like ammo belt, bayonet, clips ammo. What do you recomend or should I just get a Yugo 59/66 SKS and be done with it?  

There are many places in TN where one can qualify for the CMP purchase of an M1. Just about all of these places all have rifles you can borrow, so you do not need to bring one. However, as long as you have a centerfire rifle capable of holding 5 rounds or more you have a rifle that will qualify at a CMP clinic.

You can find matches and/or clinics at:

Memphis
Cookeville
Tullahoma
Chattanooga
Columbia
Oak Ridge

There is also a place in upper ET that is CMP affiliated, but I cannot remember the name. Unaka or Unicoi perhaps? I believe it is near Johnson City.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top