Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 1:14:18 PM EDT
In another thread someone said the pill/condom/etc isn't near as effective as they are advertised to be.  Is this true?

Thanks,
Dan.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#1]
They are  IF used correctly.  

Abstinence works every time it is tried.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:19:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Fun.  Fun.  Fun         WORRY WORRY WORRY
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:32:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, Lysol kills 99.% of germs, does that mean if you use it twice you've killed 199.8%?

We all know those military rims from basic training are 100% effective
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#5]
It's 100% effective when the chickie-momma-babe swallows...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#6]
The pill does not work, just ask my son
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Birth control is cheap.  Coat hangers are cheaper.  Get both.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Proof here that it does not, even when used properly.  I have four, last two were concieved on birth control...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#9]
That sucks.  

Anyway, so using the pill plus vaginal contraceptive don't do all that much more?

Thanks,
Dan.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I find the best BC is to find a woman with no teeth
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#11]
well, condoms are not necessarily effective, I have a new child on the way to attest to that. (My wife and I had a "failure" with the condom)

the pill is only 90% effective as well. at least that is what it reads on the pacakges I have read. of course that means 1 time out of 10, you will get pregnant, IF that one time out of  ten is during a time when pregnancy can occur, and if everything else works as it should......

spin the cylinder and pull the trigger
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Go and tell the Virgin Mary that!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Your taking a risk no matter what you use..   There is only one 100% way..  

Personally I don't nail anyone I wouldnt want to persue a relationship with or at least raise a child with..   No matter how tempting it is.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Based on my experience, it seems to work quite well.  Very well indeed.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I've used condoms.  You can tell when they break.  My exgirlfriend used Deppo(spelling?) and I used a condom....most of the time.  In 20 years of using birthcontrol I only have one son.  We planned it that way.  I'm sure God has a part to play.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#17]
What are you using for "birth control"?

There are about SEVENTY different birth control options for women authorized by the FDA for sale in this country.

Guys are screwed we only have one.  Condoms.

Point is, they are not all the same and have widely differing success rates.

The best are the ones like the Levonorgestrel delivering IUDs.  Which last for 5 years at a time, have few side effects, and most importantly require no user intervention after implatation.

The biggest failing of most contraception is that they require user interveintion.  Which is very hard when you are drunk.

However, this IUD is rarely prescribed in the US, for reasons not completely clear.  It is very popular in Europe, where it was avalible for a decade before even being offered here.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#18]

I'm living proof that the pill doesn't always work.  

I was always told 98% effective though for the pill.  I believe they look at how many women out of 100 get pregnant in 1 year using method X to determine its effectiveness.

-K
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Nowhere near as effective as the one time $650.00 the insurance company paid for my vasectomy
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

There are about SEVENTY different birth control options for women authorized by the FDA for sale in this country.

The best are the ones like the Levonorgestrel delivering IUDs.  Which last for 5 years at a time, have few side effects, and most importantly require no user intervention after implatation.

The biggest failing of most contraception is that they require user interveintion.  Which is very hard when you are drunk.

However, this IUD is rarely prescribed in the US, for reasons not completely clear.  It is very popular in Europe, where it was avalible for a decade before even being offered here.

Just talked to a friend of mine yesterday.  He told me his wife is with child so he's not having a new years party.  She had the IUD.  That'll make three.  Good for them.  God bless.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I would have to say the best is the IUD. My wife has one and we have not had a kid after she got it. One of the down sides of a IUD is that i think you have to have a kid befor they can give you one.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just talked to a friend of mine yesterday.  He told me his wife is with child so he's not having a new years party.  She had the IUD.  That'll make three.  Good for them.  God bless.

Which IUD?
There are several kinds.  Thats why I specifically named the kind that had performed the best.  The oldest is the plain copper-T, which has no hormonal component- it literally is a t-shaped piece of copper wire.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I would have to say the best is the IUD. My wife has one and we have not had a kid after she got it. One of the down sides of a IUD is that i think you have to have a kid befor they can give you one.

Yes and that is the strange part.  Because there is no such restriction on its use in Europe and England.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#24]
BUMP - interested!  I got married about 4 months ago, and not to be blunt, but so far we've used only pullout and rhythm.  We've done the pill in the past, but had some side effects - she lost about 1/2 a cup size over 4 months, and we stopped.  ETA: They grew back :)

I HATE condoms.  I vow I will never use one again.  I'd rather not bother if I had to use one.  We've also looekd at soem of the foams and gels, but the first one we tried gave her a nasty rash, so she's kinda scared to try another one.  

I've looked up IUDs before, and they seem effective, but don't the increase the risk for endometriosis?  I've also heard that if they fail, they should be removed IMMEDIATELY, to prevent birth defects, and that there is a possibility of them simply passing during menstruation.  

Also, FWIW, we're not incredibly worried about having children.  I mean, we're not in the best financial situation for kids, but we'd manage.  Right now, we're pretty much minimizing risk as best we can and leaving the rest up to God.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I know someone who used the "pull-out" method.  Had a kid the first time IIRC.

THanks,
Dan.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Ask your female 'significant other' if they know what medicines reduce the effectiveness of Birth Control Pills?  Do they think to ask the Doctor if the Rx they are given for, say--antibiotics-will interfere with the pill?  Do they even remember to tell the Dr. that they are on BC pills (a number of young female patients will not even think of them as medicine when giving their history--unless you ask specifically).   There are more than a few that interfere with the effectiveness of the pill.    

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:04:47 PM EDT
[#27]
We're using the Nuva Ring.  Good so far!  Like any hormonal method though, there has been a fun introductory period full of mood swings and other assorted fun.

Pills and such are only as effective as the user.  The pill should be taken the same time every day, and certain medications will negate or lessen it's effect.  Last I saw, in clinical trials the pill was 99.99% effective, but things drop off once you take the patient out of a clinical setting and let them figure it out for themselves.

Of course lumping all the pills into the same grab bag is sort of misleading.. There are TONS of varieties using different hormone levels and combinations.

The Norplant implants are falling out of favor, at least with my girlfriend's organization, they've had some bad luck with side effects.

One way or the other, if your girl (or you, if you're one!) is on a hormonal method and she's gone nutty from it, vitamin B-6 can be a lifesaver (or at least a mindsaver).
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:14:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Just stick it in her pooper!!!!

So wont get pregnant there.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
We're using the Nuva Ring.  Good so far!  Like any hormonal method though, there has been a fun introductory period full of mood swings and other assorted fun.

Pills and such are only as effective as the user.  The pill should be taken the same time every day, and certain medications will negate or lessen it's effect.  Last I saw, in clinical trials the pill was 99.99% effective, but things drop off once you take the patient out of a clinical setting and let them figure it out for themselves.

Of course lumping all the pills into the same grab bag is sort of misleading.. There are TONS of varieties using different hormone levels and combinations.

The Norplant implants are falling out of favor, at least with my girlfriend's organization, they've had some bad luck with side effects.

One way or the other, if your girl (or you, if you're one!) is on a hormonal method and she's gone nutty from it, vitamin B-6 can be a lifesaver (or at least a mindsaver).

Nuva Ring?  That is the ring that is impregnated with hromes, correct?  More effective or less than the pill?  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Right now, we're pretty much minimizing risk as best we can and leaving the rest up to God.

Watch out. That God fellow likes practical jokes.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Retroactive, full birth abortion would be 100% effective, on liberals.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+eleventybillion
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Nuva Ring?  That is the ring that is impregnated with hromes, correct?  More effective or less than the pill?  

Yup, it's like a little jelly bracelet about an inch and a half in diameter with the same hormones as the pill more or less.  Pop it up there for three weeks, take it out for one.  

From what I've been told it's theoretically more effective than the pill, because there's less variation in the hormone levels.  I'm not aware of any real long term studies with it though, it's pretty new.  The pill has the advantage of having a helluva lot more miles on it, but there are a lot of real advantages to the ring.

The transdermal patch sort of got thrown under the bus recently though, apparently it's delivering too much hormone.  I've been wondering if the ring will have the same problem.  There's nothing so far to suggest that is the case however.  

And no, I don't generally notice it at gametime. Also referring to anything intimate as "playin' ring-toss" might not be greeted with the humor with which it was intended if you get my drift.

One important thing to remember.. They're SENSITIVE to heat. Package instructions are very precise and should be followed to a T. Prior to distribution, they're stored in the fridge.  Once the user gets them, they are to be stored at 77' or under, with the "oh shit" at 86'.  My house beats 86' sometimes, so we just keep 'em in the fridge, and she gives 'em a few hours to warm up.
('cept that one time... )
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, it's like a little jelly bracelet about an inch and a half in diameter with the same hormones as the pill more or less.  Pop it up there for three weeks, take it out for one.  

From what I've been told it's theoretically more effective than the pill, because there's less variation in the hormone levels.  I'm not aware of any real long term studies with it though, it's pretty new.  The pill has the advantage of having a helluva lot more miles on it, but there are a lot of real advantages to the ring.

The transdermal patch sort of got thrown under the bus recently though, apparently it's delivering too much hormone.  I've been wondering if the ring will have the same problem.  There's nothing so far to suggest that is the case however.  

And no, I don't generally notice it at gametime. Also referring to anything intimate as "playin' ring-toss" might not be greeted with the humor with which it was intended if you get my drift.

One important thing to remember.. They're SENSITIVE to heat. Package instructions are very precise and should be followed to a T. Prior to distribution, they're stored in the fridge.  Once the user gets them, they are to be stored at 77' or under, with the "oh shit" at 86'.  My house beats 86' sometimes, so we just keep 'em in the fridge, and she gives 'em a few hours to warm up.

My g/f just started using it, and although she gave me the info sheet to read I am still a little hesitant about it (gonna continue to use additional methods).  She likes it, at least from a 'not going wacky from hormones' standpoint as she had some nasty side effects/emotional roller coaster experiences on the pill.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My g/f just started using it, and although she gave me the info sheet to read I am still a little hesitant about it (gonna continue to use additional methods).  She likes it, at least from a 'not going wacky from hormones' standpoint as she had some nasty side effects/emotional roller coaster experiences on the pill.

Mine started out GREAT, then got kinda nutty.  The B-6 helped a whole lot.  Nothing wrong with bagging the beastie too.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Pull and pray has worked pretty well for me so far.  Then again, maybe I'm shooting blanks.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#37]
How long Drak? I've been doing it essentially 5 years, no problems - a couple of scares, but no catches.  Knowing her ovulation calendar helps too.  Its hard to get pregnant if you've not ovulated. (Yes, this is simplified, you can have ovulation at other times, sperm can live up to 3 days in the female body, etc.)
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:26:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Various girlfriends and I have used the RU469 method for 20+ years and have had zero failures.

I'm bummed, I'd really like to have had a few kids along the way.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Various girlfriends and I have used the RU469 method for 20+ years and have had zero failures.

Jeez, I thought that was Bill Clinton's vanity plate.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:49:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Don't work when daddy has to many crown royals and they don't get used.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:59:20 AM EDT
[#41]
+1 for Nuva Ring, my GF has it and so far its been 100%. There is also a program she has on her computer that tells her when to put it in and when to take it out so there is no confusion.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:11:41 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

??? I thought that's where lawyers came from???
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Hey, that's my favorite brand...!

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

??? I thought that's where lawyers came from???

And Democrats...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#45]
ttt
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#46]
double tap
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I know someone who used the "pull-out" method.  Had a kid the first time IIRC.

THanks,
Dan.

just depends on how good you are at it, I used it for a good 4 months with no problems then one time I was a little too late on pulling out.  That was a very very very worrisome couple weeks She was fine and I knew there was such a slim chance of her getting pregnant but still I worried my ass off.

After that day that was the end of my pulling out now i wear rubbers.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#48]
I would say BC is pretty effective.  There is a lot of screwing going on.  If BC was as prone to failure as everyone says it is then the nation would be a helluva lot more crowded then it is now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top