Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2009 2:13:13 AM EDT
Reenactment of the Beer Sheva Battle in 1917: 800 Aussies and Kiwis of the Light Horse Infantry kicked out of Beersheva 4000 Turks leaded by Germans. 90 years later 50 aussies and kiwis rides along the path of their brave grandfathers:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=122808
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 2:35:08 AM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 2:39:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 3:41:42 AM EDT
[#3]
They were mounted infanrtymen, armed with Lee Enfields and charged with drawn bayonets. They had ridden for 3 days through the desert with just the water in their trains, and had they not captured the wells at Beersheeba intact they would have died of thirst. As far as military exploits go, this one was glorious.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 4:12:43 AM EDT
[#4]
decent movie was made of this battle called "The Lighthorsemen" don't know if it is on DVD but I always liked the movie
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 4:23:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They were mounted infanrtymen, armed with Lee Enfields and charged with drawn bayonets. They had ridden for 3 days through the desert with just the water in their trains, and had they not captured the wells at Beersheeba intact they would have died of thirst. As far as military exploits go, this one was glorious.

Very stirring. The Turks weren't slouches either. They were very formidable foes.

Movie version of the charge

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 4:28:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Everyone knows Fosters is Australian for beer.

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 4:39:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
decent movie was made of this battle called "The Lighthorsemen" don't know if it is on DVD but I always liked the movie

The charge scene in this movie has been rated the best horse scene ever filmed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:04:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7660/1197709127dg2.jpg

Everyone knows Fosters is Australian for beer water.

Fixed.  I've had an Australian girlfriend before...
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:13:23 AM EDT
[#9]
We always refer to it as Beersheba, but the spelling isn't important...it has beer in it so its good..

The odd thing was is mounted troops mostly dismounted and fought as infantry...not this time..

The feather worn in the slouch hats is an emu feather. The light horseman would run down an emu as training, slay it, and keep a feather. A sign of toughness. To this day the feather is worn buy units descendant from the lighthorse...

Also...the lighthorse were told after the war that they couldnt take their horses home. Each man had to shoot his own horse.

Hard core.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:28:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

One of the last, and possible most successful, horse charges in history....into entrenched infantry with heavy machine guns and supported by artillery.

A really good vote for one of the most daring exploits of WWI.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:32:58 AM EDT
[#11]
That's where my ex gf is from, visited there but never knew there were any WWI battles there.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:36:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the last, and possible most successful, horse charges in history....into entrenched infantry with heavy machine guns and supported by artillery.

A really good vote for one of the most daring exploits of WWI.

The key thing was the defences were lacking barbed wire and other entanglements.  

Actually it was a precursor to a whole series of cavalry chargers throughout the rest of the Sinai campaign into 1918.  But none  were as successful and as spectacular as this one.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:37:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's where my ex gf is from, visited there but never knew there were any WWI battles there.

A lot of fighting happened there in WW2 as well...against the bloody french....
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:42:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Since I'm also used to seeing the title of this battle spelled as one word, I was totally expecting pics of a reenactment of the battle using beer bottles/cans.  Given that expectation, this thread does NOT deliver.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 7:00:00 AM EDT
[#15]
The Enfield rifles in one of the photos are No4Mk1's, the WW2 revision.  Points for trying though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 7:32:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Also...the lighthorse were told after the war that they couldnt take their horses home. Each man had to shoot his own horse.

Hard core.

It happened a similar things with the K9 units at the end of the Vietnam War: K9 dog handlers were ordered to abandon the dogs.

This is a thing of the military I don't like at all.

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 7:33:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Since I'm also used to seeing the title of this battle spelled as one word, I was totally expecting pics of a reenactment of the battle using beer bottles/cans.  Given that expectation, this thread does NOT deliver.  

Beer Sheva = Seven Wells
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:16:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Looks like a great commemoration of a great moment in ANZAC military history.  I wonder how hard it was to get the Enfields into Israel?  Some of those rifles look like No4s to me, just slightly out of time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top